Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-21, 06:04 PM  
Erica H.

Covid Vaccine Reaction and Workouts

For those of you who had a reaction after your covid vaccine, did you jump right back into your normal workouts when you recovered or did you go back gradually?

I had my second Moderna dose yesterday and it hit me harder than I expected. I'm feeling a lot better, but still pretty fatigued with a headache on and off. If I wake up in the morning feeling fine, do I go ahead and do a normal workout or should I take it easier than usual? I always exercise soon after I wake up.

Maybe I'm overthinking this. I'm never sick so this is all new to me (even though I'm not really sick).

Erica
Old 04-16-21, 06:27 PM  
donnamp

I would probably do a lighter workout - your body was stressed out and busy making antibodies, so I would give it a bit of a rest and not tax it too hard w/ a workout. Maybe something on the lighter side, assuming you feel well enough.

Donna
Old 04-16-21, 06:35 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I would probably do a lighter workout - your body was stressed out and busy making antibodies, so I would give it a bit of a rest and not tax it too hard w/ a workout. Maybe something on the lighter side, assuming you feel well enough.

Donna
Thank you!

Erica
Old 04-16-21, 06:36 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

The second Moderna shot knocked me for a loop - I missed two days of work. It surprised me because I don't usually have reactions to vaccinations.

Obviously I didn't work out those two days. On the third day, I did a gentle pilates routine and a stretch. The day after that I went for a walk and did another pilates routine and stretch. After that day, I went back to my normal stuff - Pahla B, walks, and pilates.

Carol
Old 04-16-21, 06:50 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
The second Moderna shot knocked me for a loop - I missed two days of work. It surprised me because I don't usually have reactions to vaccinations.

Obviously I didn't work out those two days. On the third day, I did a gentle pilates routine and a stretch. The day after that I went for a walk and did another pilates routine and stretch. After that day, I went back to my normal stuff - Pahla B, walks, and pilates.

Carol
Thanks! I was surprised by my reaction, too. I really didn't think I'd feel much. I usually run and lift weights, but I'm kind of scared to go out for a run and then start feeling bad once I'm already out. I think it's definitely safest if I stay home.

Erica
Old 04-16-21, 10:58 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

I was worried when I was getting my second dose of Pfizer. My friend said she was advised to drink lots of water the day before and after the vaccination. That and move the arm after. My arm started to hurt so I used it doing a light workout. No other reaction. I was so happy.
Maybe the water worked?
Old 04-17-21, 04:19 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedygs View Post
I was worried when I was getting my second dose of Pfizer. My friend said she was advised to drink lots of water the day before and after the vaccination. That and move the arm after. My arm started to hurt so I used it doing a light workout. No other reaction. I was so happy.
Maybe the water worked?
I've also heard that staying hydrated helps and made sure I drank lots. I ended up with what I'd consider a moderate reaction.

Erica
Old 04-21-21, 04:45 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

I had my first dose of the Moderna vaccine several hours ago. So far I haven't noticed very much; sometimes there's a little local soreness that feels slightly like DOMS. I have been moving the area more than otherwise, thanks to this discussion, and I'm probably well-hydrated. (I historically haven't had significant problems with flu shots and the like.)

In the waiting area afterward, I happened to be sitting behind someone who wanted to talk to one of the workers about possible later problems. The worker mentioned the possibility of soreness in the evening as well as other things like fever, chills, and headaches. She also mentioned drinking liquids.

Later I intend to do something like submaximal cardio without anything too demanding with my arm, though if I do have physical problems, I'll happily rest. I also hope to write again soon about what I notice.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
Old 04-22-21, 04:40 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
Later I intend to do something like submaximal cardio without anything too demanding with my arm, though if I do have physical problems, I'll happily rest. I also hope to write again soon about what I notice.
In the day since, I've been feeling some local soreness. It's probably enough to bother me psychologically if I were doing anything that involved my arms more, but I was able to do what I'd intended for exercise and other everyday things without much fuss.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
Old 04-22-21, 05:25 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

FWIW, DH got his 2nd Moderna shot yesterday morning. He was feeling mostly okay yesterday, started feeling out of it last night. Today he slept in and generally is feeling out of it, running a mild fever, and he took a nap this afternoon. Otherwise, he is doing all of his (albeit non-strenuous) activities.

Also FWIW, we're both 52 (me for just a few more days ).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid vaccine, covid-19, vaccine, vaccine reactions, vaccines