Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-02, 11:41 AM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

Exclamation IMPORTANT: VF needs your help

Some of you have probably figured this out already, but VF is no longer being supported by Fitness Online. What does that mean? Well, it does mean complete independence, like the ability to select this Forum software, but it also means the site needs your help to survive. Right now I'm financing VF out of my own pocket. With almost six years online (an eternity in Web years!) I'm determined to keep VF going. We've made so many connections here--I feel like you are all my friends.

I am, of course, seeking new avenues of support, but considering the state of the Internet economy these days, I can't count on that coming soon. In the meantime there are several things you can do to help.

First, I have decided to follow the example of many independent community sites by requesting voluntary membership contributions. Think of it as similar to a PBS or NPR membership drive. We now need those who use VF regularly and benefit from it to become contributing members. Twenty dollars US, the average cost of one fitness video, is the suggested contribution level for a year's membership. Hasn't VF saved you at least that much money, by informing you of bargains, allowing you to exchange used videos, and helping you make better choices?

Think about what VF is worth to you as both a consumer information source as well as a community....if the benefits you get from VF are worth more to you than $20 and you can afford to contribute more, larger contributions are always welcomed ! If you cannot manage $20, contributions of any amount are appreciated. Those who contribute $20 US or more will get a few little perks:
  • sig/avatar image hosting (for use on our forum)
  • VF supporter icon will display on your posts
  • my vBPad: a notepad add-on within the "my VF" section of the Forum where you can jot down the name of that great video you just read about, the end date of sales or promotions, or the URL for that Web site a VFer recommended. Your notes will be saved in your vBPad for later reference.

Some of the new Forum features mentioned are ready to go, vBPad will be installed this weekend (I may have to close the board for a half hour or so to do this). I may eventually add extra bonus features or content that will be restricted to contributing members only, but I will not take away from non-contributors any of the current features, content or functionality you already have.

Second, VF has joined a number of existing affiliate programs with vendors like Amazon.com, RoadRunnerSports, sportsauthority.com, half.com, eBay, and Gaiam. The ads and banners that you see on the site reflect those relationships. If you are planning to make a purchase from one of these vendors (see here for a list), using one of our ad buttons or the links on the Support VF page to get to the vendor's site helps us. Usually anything you put in your shopping cart after clicking on a VF link and purchase is credited as a VF-generated sale. Even non-fitness-related items qualify.

Third, we will be selling VF logo merchandise via CafePress.com. VF gets a few dollars on the sale of each item. I do plan to offer a T-shirt with the design from the first VF shirts, but I would also like to solicit slogan ideas and designs for stuff like mousepads, coffee mugs, tank tops and tote bags. I will start a separate thread to discuss your ideas.

At any time, you may click on the "Support VF" and "Click if you love VF" buttons or links you'll be seeing on the site and in the Forum to get to the Support VF page. You can also get there from the pull down menu on most of the main VF pages. On that Support VF page you'll find links to vendors and instructions on how to become a contributing member. For international VFers, we are accepting memberships via PayPal--in fact, PayPal is the preferred method to pay for membership.

I hope that many of you want to contribute to keep VF going.

Thanks,

Wendy

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-02, 11:56 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

WWWendy, VF has my support.

I just came back from paypal.

And thanks for your wonderful work and dedication.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-02, 12:12 PM  
Tami S.
VF Supporter

I'm a VF Supporter

and honored to have the opportunity! Thanks for all your hard work Wendy. You've built a wonderful community based on common interests and mutual respect. I don't think you'll have any trouble finding contributors here.
Tami S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-02, 12:19 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I'll be one soon too!! --but I don't have paypal, so I'll have to do it the slow way. And GLADLY I will!! Thanks so much Wendy, for all you have done and your flexibility in continuing to find new ways to keep things going around here!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-02, 12:22 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

I'm a VF Supporter too!

I want to ditto what Tami said (after I zipped over to paypal and made my contribution, of course) and add that I'm excited about the VF merchandise as well.
Old 01-19-02, 12:58 PM  
Randi
VF Supporter

Me too --

I really appreciate everything I've learned and all the friends I've made here! Please keep it up --

Thanks,
Randi
Old 01-19-02, 01:39 PM  
AZY
VF Supporter

Thanks Wendy!

I'm sure these are challenging days for you - I am happy to give you a little support, and hope that you get all you need and then some!

Cheers,
Anne y
AZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-02, 01:40 PM  
lsberg
VF Supporter

VF made a big difference for me!

I just got back from Paypal. Happy to contribute - with the amount of time I spend here, and the benefits I've received, VF deserves my subscription even more than NPR.

VF rocks!

Lindsay
lsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-02, 01:45 PM  
Barbara F
VF Supporter

me too. . .

I just visited paypal, too. . . VF has definitely saved me money (the firm barbell sale last year immediately comes to mind), altho it's also cost me money . . . But I've really learned a lot and discovered many new instructors and met great people because of this site. Thank you Wendy for all your hard work.
Old 01-19-02, 01:49 PM  
Caroline Kim
VF Supporter

How can you put a value to VF?

I can't say that VF has saved me money since I have spent so much since I found VF just over a year ago, LOL. However, I can't imagine what I would do without the great advice, discussions and friendships I have found here. I really appreciate all you have given to keep this community going, WWWendy.