Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-21, 02:02 PM  
CabCalloway

Since last July, I've actually started ramping up rather than slowing down. The issue was weight/stamina which went to hell. I used to run 5 miles a day and worked out and weighed 160 (in my late 20's). Everything changed after I got mono at age 30 as it massively messed with my stamina, and I started a slow decline (running dropped to 1-2miles, weight up to 175. I got married at age 38 and got careless with workouts since I moved far away from my gym and there were no suitable local substitutes. Coupled with my DW's incredible cooking skills I slowly put on weight. Add in lack of sleep and stress of being a step-parent/parent and over the last 24 years I crept up to 215 with only occasional bike rides and walks for exercise. And dog walks.

Some of you are aware (from other threads) that I radically changed my diet on my doctor's urging and am back down to 175. My stamina has returned and I find myself doing more as a result. I never want to get back to the heavier me. I'd like to be as long-lived as my grandparents and parents (90+) and then some
(I'm 61).

Over the last few years, reading about all of you and all your workout efforts inspired me to do better. I admire and thank you all.
-CabC
CabCalloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-21, 02:21 PM  
Daphne M

I'm 61 and have been an avid runner/fitness enthusiast since I was 18. I've definitely slowed down, mostly because of spinal degeneration that runs in my family. I'm still able to run, row, bike, walk and lift weights, I just have to do all those things a little more slowly and carefully. I also have to make sure to include plenty of active recovery days (power walking, stretching).

In the last year, I'm thrilled to have fallen in love with indoor rowing (it's the hydrow rower for me -- interactive live outdoor reality rowing) and that is definitely challenging me in a new way. This is one tough but fun and exhilarating workout. I've been amazed by all the people on Hydrow who have all kinds of health issues, but can still do the rower. At the same time, it's very cool to be in the rowing in the same boat as Olympians and world champions and I've loved rowing on rivers and lakes all over the world.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-21, 09:40 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

When you have to.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 12:55 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I never was in to high impact or super heavy weights or very intense workouts.

I'm 65 and find I can still work out hard (for me). I have some limitations to work around and often modify workouts. I love moderate cardio and heavy weights right now. I've been doing the same rotation for several years. I have a theme for the day and then choose the workout that fits. It incorporates a good amount of rest days where I work on balance and/mobility.

For any age group I say: It's not about working out harder, it's about working out smarter!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-21, 12:50 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I just remembered a workout for boomers/seniors that is not dumbed down.

Andrea DuCane's Kettlebell Boomer workout. She works with older exercisers. Some who have limitations, old injuries or even joint replacements. Many modifications are shown.

Toaster/Beth wrote a good review:

http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...ew.php?id=4045

It is NOT and easy workout, even with modifications.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-21, 11:30 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

An oldie, but Kathy Smith's Moving Through Menopause is not dumbed down either. It's also sold as Body Boomers Workout.

It's got some dated advice about eating lots of soy, but it's got good routines and a nice yoga/relaxation section, too.

ETA: I'm so over use of the word "boomers."
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-21, 11:55 PM  
bjones

I think a lot of slowing down is more "listening to my body" at this point and I'm almost 64. I do one hard workout a week just to push myself but I can't do those more than once a week. The rest are moderate. Too many injuries to count. Fortunately I've become the queen of cross training to work around them.
I'm finding that I enjoy yoga so much more now. Instead of a "wasted" day I feel it nourishes my body in a very healthful way.
I do think genetics plays a role. Cathe is obviously way out there on the bell curve of fitness ability.
Studies seem to indicate that long episodes of killer cardio are not necessary or beneficial to the aging process. Its more strength training, balance, agility, coordination, joint mobility and flexibility that are important.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-21, 12:09 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i'm finding that strength training with weights or resistance bands fits the bill for many of my needs. i can even get my HR up with free weights that work the big muscle groups. you don't need to lift super heavy to reap the benefits.

having done CS and having read Miranda's recent books has also given me a new perspective on injuries. instead of avoiding working the injured muscle, Miranda has taught me how to strengthen other pathways in the area of the injury. i also give myself enough time to recover and heal, which is really important.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-21, 01:05 AM  
laurawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsim View Post
i say do not slow down just because of the calendar. I am 63 and like you have been doing more challenging workouts than ever.
I do not subscribe to this whole business of deciding what i can or canot do just because of age. That's ridiculous. If you feel good, keep challenging yourself.
100%!
laurawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-21, 08:03 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones View Post
I think a lot of slowing down is more "listening to my body" at this point and I'm almost 64. I do one hard workout a week just to push myself but I can't do those more than once a week. The rest are moderate. Too many injuries to count. Fortunately I've become the queen of cross training to work around them.
I'm finding that I enjoy yoga so much more now. Instead of a "wasted" day I feel it nourishes my body in a very healthful way.
I do think genetics plays a role. Cathe is obviously way out there on the bell curve of fitness ability.
Studies seem to indicate that long episodes of killer cardio are not necessary or beneficial to the aging process. Its more strength training, balance, agility, coordination, joint mobility and flexibility that are important.
Well said! I follow Pahla B and her recommended schedule for 'body shaping' (not weight loss) is to do 1 push day a week and then the rest of the time moderate workouts w/ 1 or 2 active recovery days. (For weight loss her recommendation is moderation every day).

I also agree about strength training, balance, agility, etc.

I find that if I don't focus enough on flexibility/range of motion etc that I move like an "old" person.

I know I need to get more strength training into my life, it isn't my favorite, (long time cardio lover), but I know I need it...

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, intensity, low intensity, tennis elbow