Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-21, 08:31 AM  
fanofladyvols

She never has a modifier

At times, she will mention in passing what you can do instead.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-21, 12:26 PM  
TinaT

fanofladyvols ~Thanks for confirming that for me. Everyone in her workouts look like they could take on the world... something to aspire to, I guess.

I've been modifying long enough to know what I should do for myself. It's just nice sometimes to see someone else doing it with you from time to time. I get that Cathe mainly produces advanced workouts, so no need to modify if you're at that level of fitness.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-21, 02:42 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
angie_nrs ~ Thanks for the comparison between the two. I think both look great! I was trying to figure out if Cathe ever uses a modifier. I'm thinking she doesn't and that one of the reasons I get a little intimidated by her.
Technically Cathe used Amanda to show some modifications in the ICE series, although the choice of modifier and modifications shown did not seem to be well received by everyone. (Sorry, I haven't done any of ICE yet so can't personally comment.)

Also, in Cathe's Strong & Sweaty series, for the Cardio Slam DVD only, in the Basic premix menu, there's an option to show the normal routine with modifications. This consists of a pop-up inset box coming up in SOME (but not all) of the segments where Cathe demonstrates a somewhat modified option. This pop-up box appears in the lower right corner for about the first 10-15 seconds of each segment. I've yet to try Cardio Slam (beyond my capabilities right now), but I checked the dvd to be sure and I've attached a screen shot I took. Again though, there seem to be some segments that don't have a pop-up box appear and at least one of them (the second segment following the warmup) looked pretty high impact so I was surprised no box appeared to show a modification for that one).

Here are some posts about the S&S Cardio Slam modifier pop-up box:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
Cher - your right just cardio slam with have the modifier option. as Cathe states in one of the comments the rest of the workouts are weights and you can either simply lower your step or lower your weights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
It's only on the special premix on the Slam workout.

I asked her on FB, and she said:
"All final decisions are made at the time of actual editing, but this is the plan since all of the other workouts are weight-based workouts in which one simply lowers their step or lowers their weight or decreased their range of motion for modification."
And here are some of the reviews of Amanda as the modifier in ICE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I am probably the only VFer who doesn't love Cathe's I.C.E. set. I didn't feel they were intermediate. The modifier is a joke. She barely modifies, and only sometimes. And then, when she is actually modifying, the camera is elsewhere. And it's the usual warp speed Cathe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy2 View Post
There was a lot of negative feedback on Amanda modifying in ICE. Maybe Cathe just wants to do it herself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Amanda barely modified anything. And when she did, it didn't last very long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
I like Amanda, and appreciated the modifications she did provide but I don't think she was the best choice for a modifier. It seemed to me that she wanted to go all out. Personally I think Marlo would have been a better choice.

You are right though, there could have been more modifications.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	modifier2.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	4755  
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-21, 02:54 PM  
fanofladyvols

Thanks, adawn. You're the research guru!!

Tina I should clarify...Cathe never has a modifier in the workouts I use of hers. The only ICE I have is Chiseled upper body and don't use it often enough to remember any worthwhile mods offered.

I have learned to modify with ideas from other trainers. If you need more ideas, there are plenty of people who use Cathe's workouts who modify.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-21, 07:26 PM  
TinaT

Thank you ladies for all the clarification on modifiers with Cathe. If I decide to try her, I'll figure out the modification like I do any other workout I use.
Old 04-26-21, 07:20 PM  
angie_nrs

I did the Metabolic Blast from ICE today and I think this workout is much more fun than the one from Lite series. I'm not sure exactly why.....maybe it's the mixture of the music with the moves that just gel with me. Cathe ques better in this one too. There's a couple spots where it could be better, but overall it's pretty good. The flow is excellent and Cathe puts in a lot of 'breather' spots, so it's easier than some of her other workouts. For some reason she seems sweaty and winded in this one when she barely breaks a sweat in some of her harder workouts. It must've been taped on a Monday. It's not distracting at all.....just an observation I made today.

Anyways, this is my 'go to' workout when I really don't feel like working out. I'm always glad I reached for this one, b/c it makes me sweat, it's low impact, and it's just plain fun.

This workout would be pretty easy to modify just by lowering the amount of weight Cathe uses. I think what she uses is doable for an intermediate exerciser, but less weights can easily lower the intensity. This workout is not at a frantic pace at all, so I think it would be perfect for anyone wanting a less intense workout.

Check out the clips she has on both workouts and maybe that will make the decision a bit easier for you.
Old 04-27-21, 08:28 AM  
TinaT

angie_nrs ~ Thanks for the information. I have previewed both over at Total Fitness and like what I see with both of them. I made some trades for them along with a KCM I'd like to try.
Old 08-18-21, 07:05 PM  
TinaT

I'm reviving this thread b/c I do like both Cathe's talked about in this thread. I have made modifications where needed. I've only used them a few times, and plan to use them more often.

I wasn't too much of a fan of KCM. But I'm glad I tried her.

So, are there other Cathe's I should give a try besides these two? I'm not into working isolated body parts. I really am a compound/4 limb kind of gal.

TIA ~
Old 08-19-21, 12:27 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I like Cathe's PHA 1. It's not exactly 4 limbed, but it alternates lower and upper body moves. She does 12 reps of each exercise. There are 2 rounds consisting of 6 different exercises. You can repeat them as many times as you want.
Old 08-19-21, 02:03 AM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

Do you mean the PHA Training Dvd from the Strong and Sweaty Series?

Tags
cathe, cathe ice, cathe lite, cathe metabolic, flex train, ice reviews, ice series, intermediate workouts, lite reviews