Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-21, 11:45 AM  
karenl

Classical Stretch - Where to Start?

Hi all. I need some advice from all you who do Classical Stretch. I really need to work on mobility and balance so I was thinking of doing an episode of Classical Stretch everyday. I have the following seasons: 4, 7, 8, 9 and 11. I have not exercised consistently in a long time so I want to start as a beginner. Which season should I start with? I’ve thought about subscribing to their streaming service. Is that worth it? Would that be better than doing the DVDs? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Karen
karenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 11:52 AM  
Demeris

I have owned all of these seasons, at one time or another. The only ones I've kept are 8 and 11.

I'd start with 11.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 12:50 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I agree, season 11 is a great one to start with as it’s on the gentle side.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 01:06 PM  
Ricka

I think any seasons are great, but older seasons tend to be easier than the earlier seasons.
Ricka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 02:31 PM  
BunnyHop

I have found CS to be a far more vigorous exercise than it seems.

It works best for me if I program my dvd player to slow down the speed slightly, a little more with the ones that seem way too fast.

As others have said, 8 and 11 are my favorites, but I do like the way 10 does the all-standing, all floor, etc. In the lead up to my hysterectomy I found the standing ones a huge help.
Old 04-08-21, 02:47 PM  
fanofladyvols

The only other thing I would add is (depending on your fitness level) just doing half an episode daily initially is a great way to break your mind and body into the technique and habit formation.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 03:56 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
The only other thing I would add is (depending on your fitness level) just doing half an episode daily initially is a great way to break your mind and body into the technique and habit formation.
I'll chime in with more of this.

Just recently I became intrigued with lightweight clubs. They're said to be good for shoulders, but people warn to go very light at first, but honestly, the one pound indian clubs I have are plenty for me. I had slipped away from fitness/exercise altogether for far too long, and needed to find an easy way to just do something for 5-10 minutes just to get myself accustomed to moving again. Sure enough, just that little bit of movement seems to have helped me get back on track, and even those light weights seem to be working much more than just my shoulders.

So it's definitely baby steps for me, but I'd rather do a few minutes on a regular basis, with no dread, than continue to fret about the fact that I haven't been working out.

I already feel stronger, with better posture, etc. Just got my second Moderna dose yesterday, so am taking the day off today, but as soon as I feel able, I'll get back to it.
Old 04-08-21, 04:23 PM  
Izzy

I prefer the older seasons. I don't care for Season 11 because it feels too slow for me. But I agree, if you are starting out, Season 11 or 12 is a good way to go. But honestly, I would just do episodes you enjoy because it encourages you to stay consistent.

For me CS/Essentrics has done wonders for my mobility, balance and general movement. I try to do an episode every day. If you sign up for the streaming, the live classes are awesome because the instruction is so good.
Old 04-08-21, 04:58 PM  
DCW

My vote is Season 11.

I think the instructions are clearer. The episodes are gentler and incorporates Miranda's lastest ideas of techniques to maximize Essentrics.

Welcome back to Essentrics!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 10:09 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Yeah, start with S11. That’s the season where I finally clicked with Classical Stretch after YEARS of “not getting it”.

The trick (for me anyways) was not putting as much dynamic tension into the movements as Miranda does. Make the movements as gentle as your body needs them to be and you’ll do great!

Tags
classical stretch, classical stretch seasons, season 11