Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-21, 12:02 AM  
jusca

Stretching similar to Weider X-Factor ST yoga dvd

I'm looking for a stretching routine that is similar to the Weider X-Factor ST's "yoga" dvd. That routine leaves me really relaxed like no other. I don't know what in particular makes it so special to my body. I haven't had much luck with anything else. I felt stiffer after trying Cathe's Stretch Max and I did a couple of Rodney Yee yoga routines which resulted in the same stiffness. I did Lastics original dvd a few years ago and can't remember if I got any benefit from it.

If you enjoyed the Weider yoga dvd, were there any other stretching routines that you felt light and limber afterwards?
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 05:34 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

The yoga workout does look good (found a link to the video); the instructor does not introduce herself -does anyone know her name? i'll try to think of yoga or stretching workouts that are similar - in the meantime:

i found this post describing the yoga disc (25 min), and here's the link to the thread (page 13, bottom of page, 3rd post from the bottom)
http://www.videofitness.com/~vfwnk/f...171046&page=13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Yesterday, I popped in the yoga dvd after week 1, and well, it's not yoga. At least the 15 minutes I did and then just watched.

The instructor is the blonde woman and she talks way too much. She goes on and on and on about how hard we worked and how much we deserve a stretch (meh- the workouts aren't that hard, and I don't need to earn a stretch). I don't mind matter of fact voices like Mindy or Cathe, nor soothing voices like Rodney Yee or many popular yoga instructors, but this is in that middle trying to be the yoga voice, sing songy, whatever. Obviously I don't click with her and it is her voice and vocal mannerisms, choice of "inspiration."

Anyway, she started with laying on the floor "getting in touch with our breath" stretching in mountain pose position. Then hamstring stretch while rotating the ankles, leg circles - range of motion meets pilates, cat/cow, then rollups (? and also since wo1 is so core focused, I certainly did not want this in my stretch) and then she did rollovers (going into plow pose). and that's all I saw.

This was much more pilates-like than yoga-like, or athletic stretch like. While I think I will find a place for it in my workouts, it was not yoga or a yoga complement to this series, at least the first 15 out of 25 minutes.
daily motion has the entire 25 min yoga video here:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6seubz

The yoga instructor's name is not provided, however, she does a total of 3 of the 4 bonus workouts - yoga, total body, and glutes & thighs. the rest of the workouts, including the bonus Abs DVD, are led by Nahesi Crawford.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 06:05 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Namaste Yoga with Kate Potter comes to mind in terms of the slower pace. Namaste Yoga is done in voice over, and it's very peaceful.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 06:22 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I just checked out the Daily Motion link and the workout looks good, but I absolutely hate when instructors walk around instructing rather than actually doing the workout themselves.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 08:16 AM  
hocuspocus

I like Firm Yoga. It is a more work than restorative yoga but I always feel better aligned after. And it is not yoga-ish in a mystical sense.
hocuspocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 10:19 AM  
Demeris

So it's not yoga, and it's Christian-based, but the Pietra Fitness stretching and strengthening program might have something to offer you. They have a 14-day free trial: PietraFitness.com
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 10:47 AM  
sillygirl

How about the updated Slim in 6 - Slim & Limber? It’s one of my all-time favorite stretch routines. It’s only 15 minutes and starts lying down, then sitting, then standing. She does all the moves with you and I find her voice and demeanor very calming. I do feel relaxed and limber afterward.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 09:10 PM  
jusca

Wow . Yall really came up with some suggestions I've never heard of. I'm going to go through them one by one and try them all. Thanks for the suggestions!
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 09:48 AM  
fanofladyvols

jusca I am so glad you posted about this! It is a great stretch routine to me as well. It is more pilates-ish than yoga. I ignored it in the set because I had looked at reviews that mentioned talking and usually that bugs me. It felt great after a harder workout earlier in the day!

I think you might also like:

- Men's Health Circuit workout has a great 11 minute stretch similar led by Jen Widestrom and David Jack

- 3 week yoga retreat...esp. the last disk led by Faith. (In my list, this set hardest to find)

- Annette Fletcher Joint and mobility therapy the first segment

- Men's Health Anarchy workout last disk Free Flow

- Men's Health MH60 Last disc in set Free flow fitness

- Jill Miller Post athletic stretch routines

- Cathe's Stretch Max

Many of the Men's Health above I found on ebay.

The Cathe, Jill Miller and 3 week yoga retreat are probably the closest to the vibe of XFST.

The others are good routines that left me feeling like the XFST.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 12:21 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

What about Jessica Smith's Gentle Yoga for Balance, Flexibility and Mobility? It's four twenty minute practices filmed poolside. Even though it is standing work, I find it very relaxing.

Here's a clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j8U...jessicasmithtv

And I find that Jane Adams' Yoga DVDs have some very relaxing practices.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nahesi crawford, stretch, stretching, weider x-factor st, weider xfactor, x-factor st, yoga