Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-21, 09:21 PM  
Sarah O.
VF Supporter

Human Dust Bunny Question

It’s been ages and ages since I visited VF, but something inspired me to log in a few weeks ago and I had the best time reading the Vintage Dust Bunny Check-In thread. I remembered so many of the workouts mentioned. I ended up buying a new step and weights (both long gone in home moves) and have been making my way through some familiar workouts on YouTube. It’s been so much fun. Also amazing how much memory, if not the stamina, was still stored in my muscles. The steps all came back to me.
Still, I’m feeling like a bit of a dust bunny myself....I joined VF in 1997 and was devoted to video workouts for a long time but I think it’s actually been 10 years (gulp!) since I did them regularly. I’m wondering about how you all amass your workout collections now or what streaming services you like best. No more shelves of VHS and DVDs, I’m guessing? I was thinking about getting the Collage streaming service but would love any recommendations you have. Thanks so much!
Sarah O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-21, 09:49 PM  
fanofladyvols

Your thread title cracked me up!

Welcome back

If you want to review or suggest YouTube workouts , we have a thread for that!

We have a couple of threads of streaming suggestions..

But I'm still a dvd and vhs vidiot with a bookcase of treasures! There are plenty of us who travel in that dvd/vhs boat as well.

I think you'll find, no matter what type of exercise you enjoy, you'll find vidiots in all camps ☺️

You are welcome to join a checkin and shake off that dust

ETA: I added some tags so you can do a thread search to help with your research.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-21, 07:59 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I'm still using physical DVDs. I like "owning" my workouts. But for yoga, I use online/streaming classes.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-21, 10:47 AM  
bubbles76

I have a lot of physical dvds. I will occasionally do online workouts, bit for the most part I stick with dvds. I don't pay to steam anything, but if I did it would probably be Cathe, GetHealthyU, and possibly a yoga one.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-21, 10:53 AM  
Sarah O.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Your thread title cracked me up!

Welcome back

If you want to review or suggest YouTube workouts , we have a thread for that!

We have a couple of threads of streaming suggestions..

But I'm still a dvd and vhs vidiot with a bookcase of treasures! There are plenty of us who travel in that dvd/vhs boat as well.

I think you'll find, no matter what type of exercise you enjoy, you'll find vidiots in all camps ☺️

You are welcome to join a checkin and shake off that dust

ETA: I added some tags so you can do a thread search to help with your research.
Thank you! Glad to make you laugh. That’s how I feel going down VF memory lane. I suppose this human dust bunny should have thought to do a more thorough search first, but I really appreciate all of the links you shared. Will be fun to check them out.
Old 02-09-21, 10:56 AM  
Sarah O.
VF Supporter

I’m so interested to see that people are still using DVDs. Of course, I’m kicking myself now or not keeping my old collection. I guess I’ll just have to have a little fun putting one together again. 😂
Old 02-09-21, 11:27 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Welcome back!

I still have a couple shelves of old favorite DVD and VHS that I rotate in when the mood strikes, like when I did a few weeks of Tae Bo last year. At the moment however I've subscribed to Team Body Project's streaming service because their format and variety is what I need right now.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-21, 12:27 PM  
Mickey12

Welcome back, SarahO! I am one who still has ALL my physical workouts from when I started accumulating them. I don't do much streaming.

You will find tons of workouts on YouTube, old and new. If you're worried about not having physical DVDs anymore, you can find plenty to keep you occupied just on YouTube, even without paying for any streaming.

One that I especially like on YouTube is Cat Gates-Buettner. She does step workouts that are really fun, good music, pretty easy choreography to grasp on the first try and she has a few felines that like to make appearances during the workouts.

Have fun in your pursuit and please post. It's so fun to hear from people that haven't been here in a while.
Old 02-09-21, 08:14 PM  
Sarah O.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
Welcome back, SarahO! I am one who still has ALL my physical workouts from when I started accumulating them. I don't do much streaming.

You will find tons of workouts on YouTube, old and new. If you're worried about not having physical DVDs anymore, you can find plenty to keep you occupied just on YouTube, even without paying for any streaming.

One that I especially like on YouTube is Cat Gates-Buettner. She does step workouts that are really fun, good music, pretty easy choreography to grasp on the first try and she has a few felines that like to make appearances during the workouts.

Have fun in your pursuit and please post. It's so fun to hear from people that haven't been here in a while.
Thank you, Mickey! It’s been so fun rediscovering video workouts. I’ve never heard of Cat Gates Buettner, so I’m delighted to check out someone new. Today I rebought (so sad! &#128514 some favorite workouts from the Firm. It was very interesting to see what’s available and what’s not.
Old 02-10-21, 01:44 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I've owned a step for a loooong time and mostly used it as a weight bench and harbored ambitions to learn how to step. I've been a VF member since 2000 or so... and I have finally learned how to step in the last few months because the pandemie (French/German version of the term) meant I was getting less cardio from commuting and in the winter months, having a vigorous indoor option was welcome. I've been doing basic, classic step aerobics workouts with Gin Miller, Kathy Smith, Gilad and Kathy Kaehler. Feels like a time warp but I'm really enjoying the journey And yep, I love my DVDs augmented with YouTube and MyYogaWorks streaming (company sponsored perk) as well as Eoin Finn's yoga podcasts.
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd collection, streaming services, suggestions, vidiocy, vintage vfers, youtube