Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-04-20, 07:13 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
Today I decided to end the day with peppermint tea and using my "good" china teacup.
It's funny how we save the "good" things and don't use them. I wonder why we think we're not special enough to use or wear the special things? I have a diamond necklace I never wear bc I know it was expensive. So what's the point of having it, right?? I'm glad you chose to treat yourself with it. You deserve it!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-20, 04:20 PM  
DCW

Today is a do nothing day. I may walk later this evening. I needed some downtime. No stress, no major housework, no yardwork, just reading and drinking water.

The last 3 weeks have been tough and I needed a day. And miracles of miracles I took a day. Self care at its best. Sitting outdoors most of the day reading a book. It's gorgeous weather and I needed a decompress day. I haven't turned on the TV which is good because the weather is so nice.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-20, 04:49 PM  
Vantreesta

Good for you, DCW! We all should do that now and then!

Hubby and I finally went hiking today. We hadn't gone since November! Way too long for doing one of my favorite things! After we got home and ate I showered and indulged in yoga pants instead of jeans like usual. I had a cup of white peppermint tea but the caffeine isn't helping. I slept lousy last night and am really feeling it.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 09-05-20, 05:43 PM  
Vantreesta

I just read this during my meditation time:

"Being thankful is not always experienced as a natural state of existence, we must work at it, akin to a type of strength training for the heart." ~Larissa Gomez

Old 09-05-20, 06:05 PM  
sherry7899

I am trying self care for September. My goals include:

-daily yoga and mediation (I'm starting with five minutes of meditation on my own. I have tried using guided, but I really want to stick with doing it on my own
-taking vitamins
-drinking plenty of water
-doing cardio or strength five days a week
-listening to music instead of the news when cooking and during dinner
-wearing perfume every day (I use essential oils) even if I'm not leaving the house
-spending plenty of time cuddling with my cats
-listening to music that is positive when possible
-spending less time online
-set a goal for daily nutrition-servings of fruits, vegetables and healthy fats
-cutting back on sugar

It has been going well so far, with the exception of cutting down on sugar. I am struggling with that one!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-20, 09:39 PM  
Vantreesta

Sherry, thanks again for the tip on Well Plated. I was just looking at it and can't wait to try some of the dessert recipes!

I started crocheting a hat while I watched the Twins win again this evening.

Old 09-07-20, 09:09 AM  
DCW

Today is a quiet day. DD and I visited relatives who are over eighty and taking good care of themselves. They truly are a testimony of staying mentally active and what happens when you keep moving. One goes up and down stairs and I swear that's one of the secrets.
The strength and balance ability to do stairs keeps her strong. She has no problems getting in and of cars, chairs, walking. None of them have arthritis that impacts them either.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-20, 12:31 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Sorry I have been MIA. I've been feeling really down about some health issues. The heat, fires and bad air quality are adding to it all. I don't want to be a bummer!

I did run across a good article on assorted self-care ideas:

"38 Habits to Start Today to Keep Your Brain Healthy at 80"

https://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-yo...r-brain-sharp/

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-20, 04:10 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

I have bookmarked that 38 Habits article to finish later, thanks for that!

There are a lot of great ideas here I'm going to adopt.

My biggest self care change has been cutting down on listening to negative talk without saying something positive in return. I have a relative I love, who calls almost daily, and is always mad at somebody or something. I now refuse to be part of it, and I think it's helping her, too, because she knows we can't talk politics or what somebody else is or isn't doing in a judgemental way.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-20, 09:34 PM  
Vantreesta

DCW, it is inspiring to see people take such good care of themselves like your relatives have.

Alta, I'm sorry you're having a rough time. Hope things look better soon. Thanks for linking the article. Lots of good stuff and plenty of links to take me down the rabbit hole!

Terri, I wish I was brave enough to speak up against the negative like that. I love my aunt and I feel bad, but it is really hard for me to be around her for very long. All she talks about is politics (and by the way if you disagree then you must be a communist or smthg) and conspiracy theories and what horrible things celebrities are rumored to be doing. I pretty much refuse to talk politics, I don't watch the news, etc. She brings smthg up, I change the subject to baseball if others are around who talk sports (which she doesn't care about and she knows that I know that) or to dogs or to whatever is actually going on in my daily life. But I just can't confront her. None of my family will.

Sherry, sigh, I just ate PopTarts. The sugar addiction continues on. It was the last package though so no more calling me from the pantry. I rarely buy them bc I know they aren't good for mr. They were just the easiest breakfast I could think of for when I was camping.

We hiked again yesterday, almost 8 miles in the hot sun and humidity. And then today I don't think it got to 55! Ahhhhhh I love this cooler weather sooo much! We're looking at highs in the 40s and 50s this week. Definitely amps up my already high Halloween mood! I'll be putting my village up most likely on Thursday and Friday (it's huge).

Tags
coping with adversity, meditation, self-care