Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-20, 12:51 PM  
Mickey12

Susan Chung dvds

I was browsing Mary’s website and I came upon Susan Chung. I looked at the clips and the workouts seemed perfectly fine, but there wasn’t anything that made me think I had to buy them.

Can anyone chime in? Do you have any of her workouts? What do you like about them? Are they different enough from each other to warrant buying more than one?

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-20, 02:30 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I have all 4 of her DVDs (of COURSE I do! ) I like them all. I don't know if they are dramatically different from one another, but not clones. I would buy one to try and see if she works for you. Susan's form is impeccable, as she has real certifications and also gives some good pointers. It's more like "real" kick boxing than Cathe or Kelly, for example. This is no ding on either of them, and Cathe has freely said that she isn't an expert in this area. These are tough and no nonsense workouts without being boring and get the job done. There are modifiers, both up and down. Susan has a pleasant and likeable personality.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-20, 02:47 PM  
wlorrie

I just pulled these out this week!!! I did the first 3. I have all 4, but I only used them 1 time and that was about 8 years ago. These are great! I don't know why I shelved them for so long. They are different enough to buy each. For example#1 was boxing, kickboxing, heavy bag, ball core and floor core. #2 was kickboxing, then weight work (5lb dumbbells) with kickboxing moves, ball core and floor core, #3 was Kickboxing, kickboxing drills, weighted upper body boxing ( 1 lb dumbbells), then abs. I'll do #4 next week. Some moves can be a little tricky, but nothing too confusing.
Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-20, 04:16 PM  
Mickey12

Thanks, guys. It looks like I will probably get these at some point.

Kim
Old 05-16-20, 06:51 PM  
muggle

I have all 4 as well. You’ve been given excellent information about them. Specifically that they all have something different so they aren’t the same workouts. One of the even has a Tabata section. I absolutely love them but I love kickboxing. I have about 400 dvds and if I want a real kickboxing workout that’s a decent challenge....I go for Susan. Impeccable form, excellent cueing, solid workouts and Susan seem very sweet yet fierce!
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-20, 07:46 AM  
Hsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I have all 4 of her DVDs (of COURSE I do! ) I like them all. I don't know if they are dramatically different from one another, but not clones. I would buy one to try and see if she works for you. Susan's form is impeccable, as she has real certifications and also gives some good pointers. It's more like "real" kick boxing than Cathe or Kelly, for example. This is no ding on either of them, and Cathe has freely said that she isn't an expert in this area. These are tough and no nonsense workouts without being boring and get the job done. There are modifiers, both up and down. Susan has a pleasant and likeable personality.
Very well said! And after reading your post I realized that I wanted more of her dvds! I have the 4rth one and really like it a lot but looking over my collection I see that a lot of my kickboxing consists of Cathe, Kelly and Chalene. I do need more real kickboxing. Thanks for enabling!
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-20, 08:22 AM  
Mickey12

So how does she compare to Ilaria? I think Ilaria does a lot of just lower body workouts, but she also does kickbox too. I like her a lot and think of her as “real kickboxing” as far as proper form, etc.

Kim
Old 05-17-20, 09:50 AM  
Hsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
So how does she compare to Ilaria? I think Ilaria does a lot of just lower body workouts, but she also does kickbox too. I like her a lot and think of her as “real kickboxing” as far as proper form, etc.

Kim
Well, I think Ilaria's form is top notch but I think of her as more drill based where there is a lot of repetition of the same move. I also think that Kelly and even Cathe are more drill based. I find Susan more combo based where she keeps adding moves on to create a more complex combo. Chalene (turbo fire) is combo based also but done at a fast pace that can compromise form.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-20, 09:56 AM  
violingal3

I remember getting her first two DVDs when they came out when I was on an Ilaria kick but it was hard for me to come back to them. Guess I just prefer a Cathe style of fake kickboxing. lol
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-20, 10:46 AM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Ilaria definitely build combos, sometimes very long ones. But I agree, her delivery is very different than Susan's. I like them both, but I click more with Ilaria. I almost never pull out my Susan Chung DVDs, and I think I've traded away 2 of the 4. I know I'm in the minority of people who like kickboxing in not preferring her workouts. I don't even really know why, lol! She's likeable, has great form and energy, there's nothing wrong with the workouts. Anyway, my reason for posting was to say that Ilaria does do combos, but I think they feel more like drills because she spends a lot of time building them, so you do a lot of reps of a drill before you realize it is part of the combo, ha ha. Her kickboxing workouts are Powerstrike, while her lower body only are Bodystrike.

Tags
kickboxing, susan chung