Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-20, 10:26 PM  
angie_nrs

Compared to many of you, my symptoms are not that bad, but as I read these posts I'm nodding in agreement.

The rage for me was before I started skipping periods. It's like the 2 years before that, that the rage was awful and I didn't know why. It's a miracle my husband didn't off me. It was so bad I didn't even like being around myself. Thankfully that's gone now. I still sometimes get moody....but not in full rage mode.

I skipped periods for 8 months, then had one, now 3 months. I love not having periods! When I was first going thru it, I had wicked hot flashes and night sweats. I had my own fan in the living room and I got a workout just going back and forth turning it on and off. Then they disappeared for about 6 months......and now they're back. Now that it's winter, I have a light jacket and it's on and off all day long. The night sweats make it really hard to get a really good nights sleep. I do fall back to sleep, but I forgot what it was like to sleep thru the night. I wake up in the middle of the night and then the night sweat hits. I start taking the covers off when I wake, b/c I know what's coming. It can be up to 6-10 times per night, and will be even worse if I drink any alcohol or take medication. Poor hubs has to sleep in an ice cold room.

So, my worst issue is the hot flashes/night sweats. I keep trying new things. Black kohash didn't really work. Estroven with melatonin cool, helped a bit but then quit working. Now I'm trying something different. There's so many things out there to choose from and all the reviews are mixed on everything so it's a guessing game and none of that stuff is cheap. Melatonin works sometimes....sometimes not.

I was actually able to lose weight during this time though. It was with a combo of intermittent fasting and cutting the junk while trying to go low carb. I've been pretty consistent with it b/c I have my key recipes for things like chocolate pudding, lemon cheesecake, pizza, etc. that I can lean on. Who knew a pizza crust could be made with 6oz of cheese and 4 eggs? It works, so I can have low carb pizza! Little tricks like that have helped me not pack on the pounds. Avoiding the white foods has also seemed to reduce my inflammation b/c I noticed my PF is not as painful as it was before.

I have also been a very consistent exerciser. So, I keep at it. I'm hoping as spring arrives, getting outside and getting some vitamin D from the sun will improve things. Walking outdoors every day definitley helps my outlook on things so I'm hoping warm weather gets here soon.
Old 03-04-20, 05:47 PM  
pgun3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
Compared to many of you, my symptoms are not that bad, but as I read these posts I'm nodding in agreement.

The rage for me was before I started skipping periods. It's like the 2 years before that, that the rage was awful and I didn't know why. It's a miracle my husband didn't off me. It was so bad I didn't even like being around myself. Thankfully that's gone now. I still sometimes get moody....but not in full rage mode.

I had a patient once say to me "if your husband can make it through your hormonal rages he's a keeper" LOL
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-20, 06:43 PM  
Leela
VF Supporter

My rage and hot flashes are gone. But the weight I gained in still with me, and I'm still a DD cup (B-c up until 45. I'm 54)

In my case, diet and intermittent fasting have made a difference, but I fell off all my wagon when I was laid off, and even though I got a great new job quickly the impact was made and I gained the 8 pounds I lost.
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-20, 07:25 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I'm 52 and also deal with Hashi's. I have been having trouble with midcycle spotting, heavy periods, and even extra periods. After a bad summer and a referral to an obgyn that immediately suggested a hysterectomy....I walked away from the US medical system for dealing with my perimenopause.

I dabbled in homeopathy (which didn't help much) and have gotten the most help from a naturalpath. Within about 2 weeks I started feeling much much better. I seem to also do best eating a Paleo type diet. I know we're not supposed to say that...but it's anti inflamatory and keeps things calm.

Next thing I'm working on is caffeine.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 08:15 AM  
buffmama

Didn't realize rage/anger was one of the symptoms. That certainly will have me re-frame how I'm thinking about my teenager...
Old 03-05-20, 08:16 PM  
pgun3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Didn't realize rage/anger was one of the symptoms. That certainly will have me re-frame how I'm thinking about my teenager...
Oh for me it was definitely a symptom. It's horrible. It can happen for no reason for me....I was at work by myself the other day and so no one was there to make me angry and well I had a seething rage going on inside myself LOL It's really horrible actually. I can't talk myself out of it I just have to keep my mouth shut and it will pass. Sometimes faster then others but I have not control over it.
Old 03-07-20, 10:12 AM  
angie_nrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgun3 View Post
Oh for me it was definitely a symptom. It's horrible. It can happen for no reason for me....I was at work by myself the other day and so no one was there to make me angry and well I had a seething rage going on inside myself LOL It's really horrible actually. I can't talk myself out of it I just have to keep my mouth shut and it will pass. Sometimes faster then others but I have not control over it.
You are so lucky that you are self aware. I can't even imagine how many women out there haven't connected the dots and therefore use destructive tools to deal with it. I'm sure many women just roll with the rage and lash out, turn to alcohol or drugs (or other self destructive measures), and destroy loving relationships. At least you know what it is (hormonal) and that it will pass. I'm sure many don't realize this and by the time they do (if they do), the destruction has already occurred. At the time I was going thru it, I didn't recognize it for what it was. I'm lucky that I have a very kind and patient husband. I wish someone had told me that "hey, when you are in your late 40's, expect some severe PMS and extreme bi%$#iness....don't take it out on your family b/c it's not them.........ITS YOU!"
Old 03-07-20, 10:22 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

Does anyone else feel like they have a greater understanding and empathy for mental illness, after the meno rollercoaster?

I feel like some people (men, mostly) just don't get mental illness or feel it's within someone's ability to control their depression, anxiety, etc. After so many mood changes from hormones, I totally understand the chemical component behind it.
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 02:24 PM  
manleym

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimf View Post
Does anyone else feel like they have a greater understanding and empathy for mental illness, after the meno rollercoaster?
YES! While I was going through menopause I lost my mother to cancer. I remember sitting at her kitchen table one morning when I was cleaning out her house and thought, "I totally understand how people have nervous breakdowns."
manleym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 06:56 PM  
pgun3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie_nrs View Post
You are so lucky that you are self aware. I can't even imagine how many women out there haven't connected the dots and therefore use destructive tools to deal with it. I'm sure many women just roll with the rage and lash out, turn to alcohol or drugs (or other self destructive measures), and destroy loving relationships. At least you know what it is (hormonal) and that it will pass. I'm sure many don't realize this and by the time they do (if they do), the destruction has already occurred. At the time I was going thru it, I didn't recognize it for what it was. I'm lucky that I have a very kind and patient husband. I wish someone had told me that "hey, when you are in your late 40's, expect some severe PMS and extreme bi%$#iness....don't take it out on your family b/c it's not them.........ITS YOU!"
It took me YEARS to realize that it was my hormones LOL It wasn't til I was coming out the other side that I realized it. I also have a patient husband LOL but when I look back I laugh because my emotions were crazy.

Tags
menopausal weight gain, menopause, perimenopause, perimenopause weight gain, seed cycling