Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-18, 02:31 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

There's nothing wrong with instructors making a living.... and profit is their living. So if DVDs are no longer profitable, they really can't make them, unless they're independently wealthy and doing fitness just for fun. Which is probably about none of them.

I too rue the demise of the DVD and am especially glad for the ones I own. I'm MORE likely to spring for others knowing they are becoming more and more rare. I want to OWN a PHYSICAL THING. I don't like content that could disappear at any time. I do streaming, just Suzanne Bowen. She has hundreds (well, at least over a hundred. I don't know exactly) of high quality workouts, so it's worth it to me. But I also own all her dvds so I have that secured access as well.

I like variety too much for streaming to be very useful to me. I don't want to do one instructor's work ALL THE TIME to the exclusion of others, and can't afford a zillion streaming services.

So I guess it'll be downloads for me, but I don't like it. I don't like it one bit. Hmmph.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 04:04 PM  
SuzieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
So, why only streaming and not offer downloads for sale?
I'm not an expert, but in some cases, it could be a question of royalties for the music. So this would affect platforms like Tracy Anderson, Suzanne Bowen, maybe LekFit?, Shine Dance. There may be others.
I could be wrong, but this is what I believe to be true: On a streaming platform, instructors can use popular music (not sure if it costs less for the music or if there is no cost). However, they can't use popular music if the content is downloadable (I believe the costs are way higher). I remember Yin Yue had to offer full refunds for her workouts because they used popular music and were downloadable.
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 04:42 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

During my marketing career, one of my responsibilities was coordinating the production of product demonstration videos. I had to budget for a video company to shoot and edit, actors, studio, props, etc. Once the video footage was ready to go, it cost mere pennies for duplication and packaging. The higher the quantity, the cheaper that cost was. Of a $40,000 project, maybe $2,000 was duplication and packaging. Instructors might not be saving much money (or making much more) by offering streaming versus DVDs. I assume they’re charged by the company that hosts their videos, so that could actually cancel out any duplication/packaging savings.

I remember Christi Taylor saying how expensive it is to license music, so that might have a lot to do with it - as Suzie mentioned.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 05:08 PM  
cherimac

But instructors aren’t backed by big corporations. They are footing the cost themselves-or many of them are. I know Natalie S of Joyful Movement talked about all the costs that went into the professional production of her two workouts and explained that she couldn’t afford to da more. Streaming is often done in a home studio, etc. and costs less, I would think. As Susan said, there’s nothing wrong with making a living.

Plus, there is far less demand for a physical product like a DVD from the younger generation, as someone already pointed out.
Old 04-11-18, 05:30 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Oh. I didn’t realize that streaming was more in-your-basement type productions. I thought they were regular, professionally done videos that were just streamed instead of put on DVD. Can you tell I don’t stream? Then streaming versus DVD makes sense for them.

For me, I really don’t want to pay more for streaming than DVDs if the quality is less. I don’t mind free YouTube workouts like that, but I won’t pay more for them than DVDs.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 05:53 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

The streaming services I've experienced (Suzanne Bowen, Pilates by Lisa, and Bellicon) have very well-done videos: good lighting, good sound, good clarity, nice settings, etc. So there can be great production values available in streamed workouts. I think a lot of the savings is that it's often only the instructor in the video, they have a studio in their home, etc.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 05:57 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
The streaming services I've experienced (Suzanne Bowen, Pilates by Lisa, and Bellicon) have very well-done videos: good lighting, good sound, good clarity, nice settings, etc. So there can be great production values available in streamed workouts. I think a lot of the savings is that it's often only the instructor in the video, they have a studio in their home, etc.
Yes, that’s what I mean. They aren’t paying someone like Greg, was it, who produced a lot of DVDs? They have spaces permanently set up, don’t pay other exercisers, etc.
Old 04-11-18, 10:39 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I guess Wendy might eventually rename this site DigitalFitness.com...timely and current, but weird!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 08:06 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
So, why only streaming and not offer downloads for sale? The cynic in me says it's because streaming is, well, a steady stream of cash coming in monthly as opposed to downloads which are 1 sale only.
I have to agree with you on this point. I'm sure there are other valid reasons too for streaming, as others have pointed out, but this is definitely a big reason too.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-18, 09:02 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Younger generation with smaller spaces: everything is digital. In my daughter's apartment, there are no DVDs (movies or workouts), no CDs, and no (or very few) physical books, magazines and newspapers. I do admire that clean, green philosophy and I've pared down a lot. But, I still want some books, CDs and DVDs!!

I could get on board with downloads but I find streaming wasteful and expensive. Truthfully I'm quite happy to be using my vintage workouts and have bought backups for a number of them.
This sums it up for me. I would like to downsize in these areas but still have some books, CDs and DVDs instead of going completely digital. I do have a Kindle and Ipod (who knows maybe those aren't in anymore either) which I like to use but also like to have a physical product as well.

I would like to get it down to the bare bones though, at some point I want to put my DVDs onto a hard drive or network and don't want tons of them. Right now I have around 80 DVDs and 10 VHS. It might be a stretch but I wouldn't mind getting down to 65 DVDs, might be more around 70. For future workouts I will turn to YT but am open to downloads. I am not really interested in streaming at all. I have thought about trying a month of Cathe live but I haven't yet and probably won't.

Rather than accumulate more DVDs though because at some point they will be going by the wayside, I would rather not and just keep what I have and whittle down a little more if I can. Thankfully for me the urge to buy DVDs has pretty much dissipated. The is the lowest buying year I have had in a long time.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downloads, dvds versus streaming, ellen barret, ellen barrett, end of dvds, streaming