Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-17, 08:32 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
.... lol. I ought to plan a brain rotation...
Hehehe

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 08:32 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Jackie, the SAME PERSON wrote both of our articles! haha. Did you notice that? I didn't until my second reading.
I didn't notice that either!!! That is too funny.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 11:55 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I wonder if anyone has tried giving a lecture or something like a TED talk in front of an audience on treadmills or spin bikes? I'd love to go to a class like that. I know there have been studies that found kids learn better if they have short activity breaks throughout the day.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 12:53 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
And to add to the mix....I had read this week that dancing is best for the brain....
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/29/w...the-brain.html
Quote:
Dance is better than walking at preserving white matter.

So let's see, a little steady state for my hippocampal neurogenesis, the occasional dance for my white matter....

lol. I ought to plan a brain rotation.
I began thinking about what "dancing" may include, especially because we're posting on a forum called Video Fitness.

The study text:

Quote:
Dance as a Complex Intervention

Dance is a pleasurable and captivating activity, which involves aerobic exercise, sensorimotor stimulation, and cognitive, visuospatial, social, and emotional engagement.

[snip]

Our current data indicate that this broad, multimodal stimulation had greater benefit for WM integrity than aerobic exercise alone (i.e., Walking and Walking + Nutrition).
If I do a dance video by myself at home without anyone else around, does this activity fall somewhere between "aerobic exercise alone" and dancing socially? That guess is just an initial, very tentative one; does anyone know of more substantial research here?
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 01:26 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
LOL, my brain must be really bulky because I've been trying to self-learn Japanese for about five years!
LOL that was funny!

Konnichiwa!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 01:32 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by assweetassugar View Post
lol that was funny!

Konnichiwa!
今日は! お元気ですか?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 10:10 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
今日は! お元気ですか?

I think you're more advanced in Japanese than me

But, I'm doing good thanks, what about you? (I think that is what you asked?)

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Old 11-18-17, 12:04 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
I think you're more advanced in Japanese that me

But, I'm doing good thanks, what about you? (I think that is what you asked?)
LOL, I'm not advanced. I copied and pasted that from a Japanese page.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 04:01 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
LOL, I'm not advanced. I copied and pasted that from a Japanese page.
Hahahaha!

Old 08-01-18, 09:17 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

When searching for something else related to the more recent thread "Grateful to be fit!," I found this piece, which I hadn't seen before, by the same author:

Brawn and Brains

Quote:
Muscular power, especially in the legs — which are the largest muscles in the body — is widely accepted as a marker of healthy aging. Older people with relatively powerful leg muscles get around better than those with weak legs. They also tend to have sharper minds, studies show.

[snip]

[The researchers in this study] found that of the 324 twins, those who had had the sturdiest legs a decade ago showed the least fall-off in thinking skills, even when the scientists controlled for such factors as fatty diets, high blood pressure and shaky blood-sugar control.

The differences in thinking skills were particularly striking within twin pairs. If one twin had been more powerful than the other 10 years before, she tended to be a much better thinker now.

In fact, on average, a muscularly powerful twin now performed about 18 percent better on memory and other cognitive tests than her weaker sister.
Later there are mentions of caveats, which studies tend to have, but I found this piece interesting. (I also noticed that although "Which Type of Exercise Is Best for the Brain?" is from February 2016 and "Brawn and Brains" is from November 2015, just four months earlier, the latter piece doesn't seem to acknowledge the existence of the former.)
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain, brain fitness, hiit, meditation, proprioception, steady state cardio, telomeres