Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-15, 01:02 PM  
mspina

OMG, I haven't worked out to home strength/cardio workouts literally in years now, but Sue, your review is making me seriously consider ordering this!!!! You got me at Pistols - they are my nemesis at Crossfit so I'm thinking maybe working them at home could help!

I have almost convinced myself that the coach price is cheap enough that I should just buy these, especially since I can get them without the little containers for which I have exactly 0 use.

ETA: Whoops. Nope, I thought the DVD set meant only the DVDs, but it does include the containers. Safe from purchase at the moment!!!!!

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 10:13 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I did Hammer Conditioning today and I didn't love it. It's four pairs of compound exercises and at the end I was sweaty but didn't feel that I got a very fluid workout. I liked individual exercises (the one-legged deadlift into a knee-up is great for balance and strength) but some of them were really awkward. There's lots of core/plank moves if wrists are an issue for you.
Old 12-12-15, 10:50 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
I did Hammer Conditioning today and I didn't love it. It's four pairs of compound exercises and at the end I was sweaty but didn't feel that I got a very fluid workout. I liked individual exercises (the one-legged deadlift into a knee-up is great for balance and strength) but some of them were really awkward. There's lots of core/plank moves if wrists are an issue for you.
I wonder if this set is similar to P90X2?? I easily passed on that. Anyone have both & can chime in?

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 04:42 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

(*sigh*) Mary had Beachbody ship my missing deluxe DVD. Box arrives today....and it's Cize. Poor Mary has to deal with their customer service on my behalf again.

Last edited by athompson10; 12-12-15 at 04:43 PM. Reason: clarity/typo
athompson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 07:03 PM  
lorajc

I'm surprised about these. I thought I'd like Chisel who's more than Hammer other than the fact I don't like Autumn.....however all of her who's so far posted here and from the one s I previewed appear to be very balance related and only use the large muscle groups with a lot of leg work and body weight work....no small muscle groups. Not really what I like plus I don't like her......so we shall see what I think of the when I actually do them......hopefully I'll have a different attitude if I'm rotating them.

I'm definitely gonna try them VERY modified since i can't actually work out yet since i want to make sure I want to keep these.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 10:20 AM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
I'm surprised about these. I thought I'd like Chisel who's more than Hammer other than the fact I don't like Autumn.....however all of her who's so far posted here and from the one s I previewed appear to be very balance related and only use the large muscle groups with a lot of leg work and body weight work....no small muscle groups. Not really what I like plus I don't like her......so we shall see what I think of the when I actually do them......hopefully I'll have a different attitude if I'm rotating them.

I'm definitely gonna try them VERY modified since i can't actually work out yet since i want to make sure I want to keep these.
Didn't you recently post a question asking for recommendations that will up your calorie burn? The most efficient way to do that is to use those large muscle groups!!!!!! Small muscles burn small calories.....

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 11:03 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Two more quick mini-reviews: did Hammer Power on Sunday and Hammer Plyometrics today.

I dunno about Hammer Power. It's all powerlifting moves, and I'm not convinced that a one-off powerlifting DVD in the midst of a total-body cardio and weights program is the most effective use of powerlifting. I'm also very skeptical about (my) learning safe form by following a DVD, no matter how body-aware I am. In Round 1 of this workout, you do the basic moves to ease into powerlifting: overhead press, squat, squat-press, jerk-press, deadlift, shrug, upright row and clean. You do two sets, one with light weight and one with medium. Round 2 puts together the Round 1 moves into compound movements: clean and press, clean and squat, clean squat press, clean squat jerk and one-arm clean squat jerk. In Round 2 you do two sets, one light and one heavy. I was pleasantly sweaty and never out of breath. Then again, I was afraid to push myself on weights since there's a ton of shoulder work in this type of workout and I didn't want to injure myself if my form was off.

Hammer Plyometrics is a short intense plyo workout; minus warmup and cooldown, the actual workout is no more than 20 minutes. Nine exercises, 30 seconds each, rest, then repeat. Nothing here that you can't get in any other plyo workout, and this would be simple to do as a paper workout with your own music. Sagi uses the chin-up bar in two moves, and if you use a band-with-door-attachment as a substitute, the moves are awkward. In one move you alternate burpees and pullups, but you'll spend way too much time fumbling for the handles of the band to make your 30 seconds count. I did all burpees for one round and all pullups for the second. The other move alternates a chin-up plus bent-leg crunch (chin-up plus knee-in for band users) with squat jump. For this I did 30 seconds of the chin-up move, then paused the workout and did 30 seconds of squat jumps.

Last edited by athompson10; 12-14-15 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typo
athompson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 06:28 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
(*sigh*) Mary had Beachbody ship my missing deluxe DVD. Box arrives today....and it's Cize. Poor Mary has to deal with their customer service on my behalf again.
Yep, same thing for me. Ugh, must have been the same Beachbody customer service rep. Plus they put Mary's street address and my city/state on the pkg so I had to go pick it up from Fedex. Grrrrrr..
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 10:50 PM  
lorajc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
Didn't you recently post a question asking for recommendations that will up your calorie burn? The most efficient way to do that is to use those large muscle groups!!!!!! Small muscles burn small calories.....
Probably.....isn't that how it usually goes??.......you dislike what you need the most!!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 11:29 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

One more down - Total Body Hammer. Unconditional love for this one, like a Body Beast 2 workout. Large muscles, short sets, short rests and heavy weights. Three rounds, each has a chest/shoulder, leg and back exercise. Keep the same weights for each exercise, do sets of 10, 8 and 6 reps with minimal rest, then repeat the round before moving to the next. Sagi has you hold your weights between rep sets and my hands gave out before my muscles did...gotta work on some hand/forearm strength. This plus a heavy biceps/triceps workout (like Beast Bulk arms) would pretty much do you for a week of heavy strength work.

Tags
21 day fix, beach body, body beast, hammer and chisel, hammer and chisel reviews, sagi kalev