Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-13, 11:48 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl View Post
I walk 2-3 miles a day and have been doing Suzanne Bowen workouts. I don't feel at all deprived and both the diet and exercise is something I can easily sustain as a way of life.
Same here! I lost 10 lbs last summer by eating cleaner, a little portion control, and doing long outdoor walks (10,000 steps) and yoga.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 12:12 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
I'm guessing that what the celebrity trainers mean is that their clients aren't doing the same exact workouts two days in a row, but in all likelihood, there is still an overall program that they are following, with particular objectives in mind. So there is still some structure to it, but variety within the structure.
This. I used to skip around and do something different every day. I worked hard at every workout, but one day I'd do UB strength, next cardio, then something functional, then maybe some yoga, etc. I got some decent results, but it's only when I started a steady diet of very challenging barre workouts (Physique 57) that I noticed really positive results. I loosely follow the monthly challenges they post on their blog, which rotate the six DVDs and two online workouts. Sticking to one type of challenging exercise has made a big difference for me.

I should also add that I love it, so it's not boring or drudgery for me. I also think that's key--find something you enjoy that works your whole body, do it consistently and push yourself every workout.

And I absolutely agree with what everyone is saying about the diet component.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 01:22 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
Yes...I'm older but I still don't know what works for me at this age so I just have fun..but I'd like to see some solid results not just have fun......what does everyone think? Should I be sticking to things longer?

Thanks for listening
Thank you for posting.

have you lost weight before? mentally go back to that period and identify what components led you to that success. draw upon that.

it's true that when we were younger, the weight didn't stay on as readily as it does now, but the drivers of weight loss still apply no matter what age.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 01:54 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl View Post
ITA--I have about 30 pounds to lose, have been exercising since I was in college, and am in the midst of menopause & HRT. I've lost 8 pounds in the past month on WW. I realized just paying attention to portions and being mindful of my eating has made the difference. Now I walk 2-3 miles a day and have been doing Suzanne Bowen workouts. I don't feel at all deprived and both the diet and exercise is something I can easily sustain as a way of life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Same here! I lost 10 lbs last summer by eating cleaner, a little portion control, and doing long outdoor walks (10,000 steps) and yoga.
ITA with both these posts.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 04:14 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I'm in the same boat. The problem is that I get bored so easily. Right now I started a D2S rotation, but I can't imagine doing only this system for 12 weeks. I know I'm going to get bored.

What I've decided to do, is keep track of the weights & reps I'm doing so that if I switch to something else, I can continue to push myself and hopefully make some gains.

Of course, I know about eating well, but it gets tiresome too. Menopause and hormones do make a difference, but it varies tremendously from woman to woman.
I know that I can't eat as many starches and sugars as I once did. I would do a web search on menopause and weight loss and see what comes up.
Old 06-24-13, 05:48 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I'm in the same boat. The problem is that I get bored so easily. Right now I started a D2S rotation, but I can't imagine doing only this system for 12 weeks. I know I'm going to get bored.

What I've decided to do, is keep track of the weights & reps I'm doing so that if I switch to something else, I can continue to push myself and hopefully make some gains.

Of course, I know about eating well, but it gets tiresome too. Menopause and hormones do make a difference, but it varies tremendously from woman to woman.
I know that I can't eat as many starches and sugars as I once did. I would do a web search on menopause and weight loss and see what comes up.
It is a tough time of life and what works for me might not work for you. I found that reading Outsmarting the Midlife Fat Cell helped me tremendously~I understood why things were going on, etc. Don't necessarily agree with everything she says about diet, exercise, it's worth considering as it works quite well for a lot of people.

I have tried to stick to a rotation for at least 8 weeks. From what I read, that's what you need to do to see if a certain type or working out, rotation, eating, etc. is working for you.

I just want to encourage you. It's hard to come and post something like you did and frankly, VF tends to be a place lately where you get a lot of "just clean up your diet" talk with little sympathy. I think we all need sympathy sometimes, don't we? (((HUGS)))
Old 06-24-13, 05:56 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post

I just want to encourage you. It's hard to come and post something like you did and frankly, VF tends to be a place lately where you get a lot of "just clean up your diet" talk with little sympathy. I think we all need sympathy sometimes, don't we? (((HUGS)))
+1

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 06:50 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
+2

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 07:09 PM  
lorajc

I said I'm not asking about diet because I already have that under control, keep a food jornal' etc. I only wanted to discuß the exercise aspect....please. I know what needs to be done with diet.

Guess maybe I should try a rotation.

Also, why do people just assume that because I'm overweight, I must not watch my diet......that is far from the truth and this sort of thing is probably one of the reasons were not to discuss diet here.

It hurts me that people just aßume that about me. can we stick to exercise talk?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 07:26 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
I said I'm not asking about diet because I already have that under control, keep a food jornal' etc. I only wanted to discuß the exercise aspect....please. I know what needs to be done with diet.

Guess maybe I should try a rotation.

Also, why do people just assume that because I'm overweight, I must not watch my diet......that is far from the truth and this sort of thing is probably one of the reasons were not to discuss diet here.

It hurts me that people just aßume that about me. can we stick to exercise talk?
hi, sorry if we didn't answer your question adequately. i don't think there's a magical rotation, but the main thing is to do something each day that involves movement, preferably sustained movement. while you're "having fun" as you said earlier, just add on more minutes, or more resistance, etc. to what you're doing now.

i don't think it matters which set you use - find something to challenge yourself vs. before. see if you can be active a majority of the days of the week.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, diet, injuries, injury prevention, menopause, menopot, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, successful weight loss