Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-13, 03:13 PM  
sunnyside

I mute and play my own music. The 30 second strength and 30 second cardio is such a great way to work. You don't have time to get bored in 30 seconds. It makes the workout seem easy when it's actually quite tough. Plus, she brings all the backgrounders up front for their own little spotlight. This makes the workout seem not all about her, which is very refreshing. I can totally understand why people would not like her look or her comments though, but I wasn't bothered by it personally.
Old 03-15-13, 04:59 PM  
5pugmom

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
I mute and play my own music. The 30 second strength and 30 second cardio is such a great way to work. You don't have time to get bored in 30 seconds. It makes the workout seem easy when it's actually quite tough. Plus, she brings all the backgrounders up front for their own little spotlight. This makes the workout seem not all about her, which is very refreshing. I can totally understand why people would not like her look or her comments though, but I wasn't bothered by it personally.
I agree, i think it's the changing pace that keeps me going and it goes so fast.

Like Lexy pointed out, she may not be everyone's cup of tea. Whats so great about fitness dvd's now, is that there is REALLY something for everybody. They have really turned basically anything, into a dvd to work out to. What some people totally connect with, just may be a total ick factor to others. I kept reading all the hype about barre workouts so I tried one. Not for me...i wanted to stab myself in the eye with a fork 15 minutes in. Just not my thing. I love music pumping, get into my zone, heart pumping workouts. I think thats why the "music louder" option works so well for me. I crank it up. PLus, I don't watch the tv when i am working out so I don't really even pay any attention to her. it's out of the corner of my eye so i can watch the timer. i prop a $5 Target behind the door mirror up on a side table abd wall, and work out in front of that. make sure my high knees are high, my form is good, and that I am giving it my all. PLus, over the last 10 weeks, i can see how things are changing and jiggling less when i am doing the cardio. And when she is yapping and rotating people up to the front, I bust out a few more reps, or start in on the next cardio segment. She can do all the yapping she wants there...mama's got work to do here
As someone who has sat on the sidelines of other work outs over and over and OVER and watched people get amazing results, and I got none, I am just ecstatic at this point to see what I am seeing. I am still in shock some days. If i had not gotten these results, I would have shelved this workout a long time ago. But for the changes that are occurring, i don't care if she's dressed as a unicorn and makes me call her "Princess." I will keep following the workouts as long as they keep working.
5pugmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 07:34 PM  
txfitmom

Okay now I have a visual of a unicorn working out!!! That is great that you have had success with JNL Fusion. I have this set on my radar forever. I am just curious, what is it about these workouts that you think is making a difference in achieving results, is it the types of exercises or something else? I have the most stubborn fat right now on my hips and lower back that I have not been able to get rid of, so just wondering if there is some magic exercises in JNL Fusion that I should know about.

Dreams aren't just dreams, they are goals that can be achieved.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 08:47 PM  
upperwside

I forgot about JNL.. i love her and the workouts.. i think i am due for a 2 week change up and i may do JNL as she is beyond funny and the workouts are effective. I can also see how some may be turned off by her or her look.. but i love her and i love any woman who is confident and loves her self even if it is a look i am not about. But i do like her look as i feel i can be over the top my self... and i am also happy that way...
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 09:23 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Just wanted to make clear that the reason I got rid of JNL was because the up and down 30 second format was too tough on this old bod. If I liked the workouts, I definitely would have kept them and be using them whether JNL looked like a unicorn or not. But as a separate point, I'm not a fan of her "style" and can see it being an issue for some people. The same people who don't like certain sets or statues in sets or color of outfits or any of that appearance stuff. I'm just pointing out the obvious IMO. I mean, the woman is GORGEOUS. Her style may be exactly what some women strive to achieve. I'm more the Nia Shanks style of baggy pants and baggy Tshirts. It's not a style most women strive for. But gosh darnnit, I'm comfortable.
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 09:43 PM  
kitty12

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
I forgot about JNL.. i love her and the workouts.. i think i am due for a 2 week change up and i may do JNL as she is beyond funny and the workouts are effective. I can also see how some may be turned off by her or her look.. but i love her and i love any woman who is confident and loves her self even if it is a look i am not about. But i do like her look as i feel i can be over the top my self... and i am also happy that way...
I love her too and have been thinking of doing a two week rotation some time. Thanks for reminding me.
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 10:46 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy View Post
Just wanted to make clear that the reason I got rid of JNL was because the up and down 30 second format was too tough on this old bod. If I liked the workouts, I definitely would have kept them and be using them whether JNL looked like a unicorn or not. But as a separate point, I'm not a fan of her "style" and can see it being an issue for some people. The same people who don't like certain sets or statues in sets or color of outfits or any of that appearance stuff. I'm just pointing out the obvious IMO. I mean, the woman is GORGEOUS. Her style may be exactly what some women strive to achieve. I'm more the Nia Shanks style of baggy pants and baggy Tshirts. It's not a style most women strive for. But gosh darnnit, I'm comfortable.
Lexy, I understand The reason I get it is that even though that instructors appearance in not a big issue for me (my primary inquiry is about the workout format when making purchases decisions and if the format is aligned to my goals) Obviously, there are instructors styles that motivates me more than others. I can pass something that bothers me generally if the workout is good and there is nothing similar available. Others cannot, and is okay. I don't click with Tony Horton, but her Iso Abs workout do wonder to my abs. For me the results have more weight, so I just take a breath and ignore his jokes.

As far as over the top JNL conversation. JNL Fusion is a hit for me because I love both the workout format, her appearance and demeanor. Maybe is that I too can be over the top lol I like to listen to her because I feel she is training me personally. I never used the music louder option I still could hear the music, which I like it. As 5pugmom, I rarely look at the TV while working out. Maybe briefly during transitions to set myself. I'm sort of a listener and follow cues. I like fast pace.loud.pumping up music. On the contrary, I don't feel motivated with soft and calm presentations unless is a yoga or stretch workout
Old 03-15-13, 10:59 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfitmom View Post
Okay now I have a visual of a unicorn working out!!! That is great that you have had success with JNL Fusion. I have this set on my radar forever. I am just curious, what is it about these workouts that you think is making a difference in achieving results, is it the types of exercises or something else? I have the most stubborn fat right now on my hips and lower back that I have not been able to get rid of, so just wondering if there is some magic exercises in JNL Fusion that I should know about.
chiming in...

Nothing is new in what she came up with the JNL Fusion system in terms of exercises and what she prays and live since becoming a fitness personality. Traditional and simple! JNL shows traditional weight training blended with cardio bursts in a 30/30 seconds format. I consider it HIIT. You suppose to go at your max during the 30 seconds cardio. What is interesting is that contrary to other HIIT programs where your recovery period is moderate intensity cardio. JNL Fusion is traditional weight training or the cardio can be considered the recovery. So, it is non stop intensity because you are working hard on both intervals. JNL is not for advanced only. One goes at their own pace depending on the fitness level. The cast is not synchronized, because there is different fitness levels. It is high impact, but can be modified.

JNL Fusion is not AWT as The Firm etc. because she don't work combo/compounds moves as known in VF. I have seem gym routines like this when Fitness Models want to cut, but no in a 30/30 format. I only have around 10 pounds to loose when I did her program and some may think I was already fit and that her program was not for everyone. I'm soooo glad that 5pugmom is reporting good results to prove that JNL Fusion is a effective program for fat loss and in some cases muscle building (if you work at her recommended rep range) Maybe the program doesn't works for everyone, but may works for many I still show my JNL Kick my Abs lol I see myself doing her program, anytime I feel the need too.

JNL has been a Bodybuilding.com contributor for a while and shows her training philosophy in many articles. I'm a avid reader of that webpage and if people take time to read her articles will find that she cares for others to success. JNL is passionate about it. yeah comes over the top, but is her actitude after struggling with weight herself. That's why I trusted her program, because JNL is a true success story I know she work out the same way because I followed her youtube channel for a while and there is tons of videos of her working out. I invite all to read her articles and watch the Oprah show that features her. JNL even workout with her kids. She is married, but don't talk about her personal life I like that http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/4_we...loss_guide.htm

Fitness Model Exercise Program
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fitn...l_training.htm

Sexy Swimsuit Workout
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sexy...it_workout.htm

Some highlights from the articles that applies to the JNL Fusion program

"You workout with weights 4 days a week, and if you have some fat you need to blast, you add 2 days of cardio, no less than 25 minutes and no more than 45 minutes" Same as JNL Fusion Week 1

"Jumping Rope - It's been scientifically proven that just a few minutes of jumping rope burns more fat and calories than running for 30 minutes. Don't be intimidated by jumping rope either. Its not just for boxers or for mixed martial artists. If you don't see me jumping rope in the gym, you know something is wrong! I highly recommend you to jump rope in between your sets for 30 to 60 seconds. If you have not mastered the skill of jumping rope, run up and down the stairs in your gym, or do standing jumping jacks to keep your heart rate up" There is lot of jumping rope intervals

"This blend of strength training blended with cardio is excellent for women who need to lean out fast. By infusing your weight training with blasts of high intensity spurts of cardio, your body will break through plateaus, thus shedding fat faster"

"Strength training is essential for losing weight and staying fit. It helps you build lean muscle, which promotes a healthy metabolism, plus it tones up those problem areas"

"For extra calorie burn, work in a "circuit," moving quickly from one exercise to the next in order to keep your heart rate elevated. Change up the individual exercises daily or weekly for best results" JNL Fusion change routine/schedule every two weeks

"Below you will find a list of exercises for each body part, which then you can correspond accordingly to the Weekly Workout Schedule. Simply pick out three exercises per bodypart, and perform 3 sets of either 8 to 12 reps (which is for those who need to build muscle mass), or 3 sets of 18 to 21 reps (for those who have mature muscle mass, and just want to maintain their quality of muscle, without increases the size)"

JNL Abs formula. She mentions that she don't work the obliques. I think what she means is weighted work, She work them with a twisting motion using the towel "focusing on tightening the obliques in and down, rather than building them up and out"

"How To "Whittle Your Middle" - Put Your "Mind Into The Muscle" Take a long bar and place it behind your head. I suggest a lightweight long wooden bar. With your "Super Woman" stance (abs in tight, butt out, chest up and out, and head erect and spine nice and tall) keep your legs together and slightly bent, twist from the waste, up and out. Don't swing with momentum, but rather put your "mind into the muscle" focusing on tightening the obliques in and down, rather than building them up and out. Twist with a concentrated focus as long as you can. Then repeat 2 more times until exhaustion. Sounds easy, but its not! This is an old school movement many boxers and mixed martial artists do to keep their conditioning up and their abs locked in!" HA! I mentioned boxing on another tread and I didn't knew about this article

Hope it helps to know more about her program and training style
Old 03-16-13, 05:54 AM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharaz View Post
JNL has been a Bodybuilding.com contributor for a while and shows her training philosophy in many articles. I'm a avid reader of that webpage and if people take time to read her articles will find that she cares for others to success. JNL is passionate about it. yeah comes over the top, but is her attitude after struggling with weight herself.
I think that's a big reason I didn't find her attitude or demeanor annoying in the workouts. She shares the spotlight with others and I felt she was my personal cheerleader. She genuinely wants everyone to have success and wants to inject that confidence and can do attitude into your head! It may sound silly, but 6+ months of doing her DVDs really changed my attitude/body confidence, and that's one reason I find these so addicting!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-13, 07:33 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

I've just ordered the set, the resistance was futile. I will try to come up with a TapoutXT2 and JNL combo rotation.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jennifer nicole lee, jennifer nicole smith, jnl, jnl fusion, momentum