Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-30-12, 11:41 AM  
KarenH

Dr. OZ on women's body shape

Dr. Oz had an episode on women's body shape a couple of weeks ago. Found it interesting and explained what was happening to my changing body shape. You have your apples, pears, and a box (square) shapes and each has a different cause.
The apple type who is larger in the waist and upper body can be caused by any type of stress whether by exercise or daily living that produces excess of cortisol which contributes to waist fat. By excess or extreme exercise one of the symptons of excess cortisol is feeling very hungry after the workout. So if you experience this, then you need to scale back as the excess cortisol is hurting your body. He recommended eating a low glycemic diet and learning to control stress.
The pear shape is caused by excess estrogen which causes fat to be deposited in the lower body. He recommended eating more fiber as estrogen binds to fiber and will be eliminated. He did have an interesting comment that has hit home with me who went thru menopause and started to get belly fat while my thighs and hips have slightly reduced in size.. He said a pear can become more apple shape as we go thru menopause as we are producing less estrogen and the fat is now being deposited in the belly instead of the lower body. This is why so many of us pears later in life get the dredded belly fat. No way to prevent it. It is our hormones at work. While an apple will never become a pear.
The third shape is a box or square shape where you have fat all over the body which is a combo of the apple and pear. He said to look at your thyroid as being possibly underactive.
His comments may hit home with some of you but now I know the cause of my belly fat that seemed to develop just recently after going thru menopause.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 11:44 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting
Old 11-30-12, 12:15 PM  
lrb04

Now I have to worry about turning into an apple!
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 12:50 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
He said a pear can become more apple shape as we go thru menopause as we are producing less estrogen and the fat is now being deposited in the belly instead of the lower body. This is why so many of us pears later in life get the dredded belly fat. No way to prevent it. It is our hormones at work. While an apple will never become a pear.
Ugh, well, that's not fair!

Seriously, though, that is very interesting. I'll have to work on my fiber intake. I used to be more of an hourglass, but since I finished breastfeeding my second child and turned 40, my chest is actually a full cup size smaller. I am now def. a pear.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 01:47 PM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

My doctor told me the same thing about a pear turning into an apple. Since he brought that to my attention I started noticing that my butt and thighs look smaller, which I don't like, so I'm going to make sure I do some barre work to keep things lifted and toned.
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 01:50 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I guess I'm a menopausal pearple.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 01:53 PM  
moonbeam31

ugh why??? I was always an hourglass with Pear tendencies-now I am appraoching 40 and I have lost nearly a cup size and am turning more apple like too! I have been thinking about this a lot lately- glad you brought this up!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 02:06 PM  
Leela
VF Supporter

Yes indeed

This is happening to me - started happening about 2 years ago.

However.. while I do want to drop fat and lean out, I don't really worry too much anymore - I am what I am.. and that's the added gift of age/menopause, whatever - although I want to be leaner and look better in my clothes, I am much more forgiving of how i look.
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 02:11 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leela View Post
However.. while I do want to drop fat and lean out, I don't really worry too much anymore - I am what I am.. and that's the added gift of age/menopause, whatever - although I want to be leaner and look better in my clothes, I am much more forgiving of how i look.
Yes, this is me, too. I can't get too worked up about this stuff anymore. My waist has thickened a bit in the past year or so and in some ways, it's a blessing. My hip to waist ratio used to make it very difficult to find clothes to fit!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 02:27 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
He did have an interesting comment that has hit home with me who went thru menopause and started to get belly fat while my thighs and hips have slightly reduced in size.. He said a pear can become more apple shape as we go thru menopause as we are producing less estrogen and the fat is now being deposited in the belly instead of the lower body. This is why so many of us pears later in life get the dredded belly fat. No way to prevent it. It is our hormones at work.
Thus the term "menopot" which has been around for ages. I'm glad Dr. Oz is finally getting caught up with women's health

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause, menopot