Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-12, 11:24 AM  
Gams

I agree with what Jeanne posted. Just a recent observation on my part, but I've noticed many of my very thin friends, who claim they eat a ton, really don't eat much at all. My mom is very small and my sister was the first to bring it up to me about how Mom says she eats so much, but if you go out to a restaurant with her, she really doesn't eat much at all. I've noticed that if she orders a burger and fries or a sandwich and fries, she picks at everything - she'll pick apart the bread or buns and leave most of it behind and she'll leave most of the fries, too. My younger sister is also very thin and when I go out to eat with her, she does the same thing. She orders chicken wings a lot (the bone-in kind) and she'll eat a few (and there's not much meat on those) and start saying how stuffed she is from eating like a pig. I'm not saying that everyone fits into this category, but I have noticed it with several people I know.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 11:28 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely4deb View Post
Joni- what does bioidentical mean?
Bioidenticals are made from substances naturally found in the body - unlike PremPro. There's a lot of good info on the web. I go to a menopause center, not my regular doctor for these specialized issues.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 11:38 AM  
DRD0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I mentioned that I run, but I also said that I think how much you eat is key. Running is just what I do. I don't think it has a lot to do with my weight. So essentially, we are saying the same thing.

And just for the record, I think everybody is different. It really doesn't help a whole lot to hear what one specific person does. You have to figure out what works for you, personally. We are all built differently, and have different genetic make ups.
We are all different. I have not weighed 110 since 5th grade, and am a very muscular individual that has always gained extremely easy. I have never been thin, ever. But the problem now really stems from the thyroid and having to play around with doses of thyroid meds. There is no exact science to this, and when that is in play all bets are off. I just work at staying healthy, eating healthy and exercising and try not to fit into societies norm that the thin person is the one that is doing this and the fat person must be lazy and eating sweets all day.
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 11:38 AM  
Ann1964

I am done with menopuase at 48. I look at my stomach fat, and wonder whose body this is. The only thing that reduces my stomach is lots of exercise, low sugar, lots of water, and eat way less! I do feel like in the last few months that my weight is shifting around. I do not try hard enough to made improvements, and changing that now.
I am also over feeling sorry for myself that I can't eat the way I used to.
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 11:47 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRD0 View Post
I have not weighed 110 since 5th grade...
I was just thinking the exact same thing about myself...that is so freaky!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 11:50 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
I have never been thin, ever. But the problem now really stems from the thyroid and having to play around with doses of thyroid meds. There is no exact science to this, and when that is in play all bets are off. I just work at staying healthy, eating healthy and exercising and try not to fit into society's norm that the thin person is the one that is doing this and the fat person must be lazy and eating sweets all day.
This is true of myself as well, and I'm also going to be entering the wonderful world of thyroid meds and figuring out what's going to work.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 11:56 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
We are all different. I have not weighed 110 since 5th grade, and am a very muscular individual that has always gained extremely easy. I have never been thin, ever. But the problem now really stems from the thyroid and having to play around with doses of thyroid meds. There is no exact science to this, and when that is in play all bets are off. I just work at staying healthy, eating healthy and exercising and try not to fit into societies norm that the thin person is the one that is doing this and the fat person must be lazy and eating sweets all day.
I just wanted to come back and say that I only mentioned my weight to illustrate that it is the same all these years later. In no way was I saying that as a thin person I'm the one doing all the right things. My weight is what it is. If the truth be known, I've always had a hard time gaining weight. I would love to have more muscle, but alas, that's not my body type or my genetic make up.

For what it's worth, I thought that maybe my input would help someone. Not that I've ever had a weight problem, either before or after menopause, but maybe that's because of the things I've done over the years. Who knows? I just wanted to share my story. While it's not a "typical" success story, it is a long term success story of someone who has gone through menopause.

I just wanted to make sure you didn't think I was trying to imply something I was not.
Old 11-15-12, 12:00 PM  
Ann1964

Jeanne- I love your input & thanks for sharing.
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 12:01 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1964 View Post
Jeanne- I love your input & thanks for sharing.
Thank you, Ann!
Old 11-15-12, 12:07 PM  
sunday

Jeanne: I always appreciate your stories and experiences!!

My two sides of the family are split. My dad's side is just like you; grandma was thin all her life. She ate whatever she wanted and never let anything fat free pass her lips! Died at 95. Mom's side is heavier and always struggled. I am somewhere in between, built like dad's side, tall and thin, but love food!

Anyway, thanks for sharing.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause, menopot, over 50, shapewear, spanx, weight loss