Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-11, 06:16 AM  
PhyllisG

Sara I totally sympathize because I am in the same situation. Everything else is fine but over the last few years I have stored fat in my middle. Jeans etc that fit fine will be too tight around the middle. I who never had a muffin top have one now. My weight is about the same as it ever was but not my shape. I can't wear belts that I love. I have recently given up sugar, honey, dried fruit and white flour. Sure a little now and then but not that much. This has really helped with that bulge. My pants fit again tho I haven't tried the belts yet. I think it is age. No doubt about it. Good luck. I know how frustrating it is and if you find a solution please post it!
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 06:50 AM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
Sara, have you been building up your obliques? I never do weighted oblique work because it gives you a thicker waist and I prefer mine to be nipped in.

It could also be that fat weighs less than muscle so by doing a diet and exercise program to shift the ratio, not necessarily losing weight per se, would work. You might actually wind up weighing more but with a smaller waist.

It also might just be bloat from eating too many starches and sugars and/or salt. You could try drinking more liquids than usual so your body doesn't hang onto the water.
Yes I have been building up my obliques. So many workout instructors talk like that is a good thing and important.

That is more likely a factor than diet as I eat very clean and drink a LOT of liquids. My fat% is down from where it was when I weighed more so I know I lost fat, hopefully not much muscle (I am more defined).

This thread has made me feel better about my situation. Built up abs + tendency after menopause to add fat around the middle seem like the causes.

It's really not such a big deal, just surprising and disappointing when I tried on the jeans I had put away for a few years.

I am NOW going to focus on gratitude for my health and the ability to exercise and be strong. I have always planned to be healthy and fit until I die and so far no reason not to expect that. That is a LOT to be grateful for!
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 06:57 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I'm sorry, but if you are 5'7" and only weigh 122, you won't get any sympathy from me.

However, I am in the same boat. My waist was always my smaller feature (I'm a pear) but now that I'm going through menopause, it has thickened and I can't seem to do anything about it even with nutritional changes.

You have a great attitude about it. Hope that rubs off on me!
Old 06-27-11, 08:19 AM  
2ndgen

The tendency to gain fat around the middle can be abated somewhat by the type of exercise we do and the type of food we eat, but I assume you already know that.

Sorry the jeans don't fit. It is also possible they kind of stiffened up being stored for a long time.

You sound very small and fit, so congratulations.
2ndgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 08:34 AM  
kat999

I sometimes think not fitting into a smaller size from years before is a good thing. I have this pair of size 3 jeans from maybe ~10 years ago. In the past 5 years, I gained about 30 pounds then lost it again (blame smoking cessation and "nesting" with a new hubby), and so when I was back to my goal weight I revisited the size 3s. They are just a little too small, even though now I weigh the same as when I bought them, but now I'm so much more toned, have better musculature, not to mention all other health benefits that come from being actually fit rather than "skinny fat." Seriously, I used to be a string bean but was so ridiculously unhealthy. I have much lower body fat now than I did then, and yet because I've built up my booty, abs, and legs a little (and they no longer look like useless rubber bands!), I've gone up to size 4s. If I enter menopause and go up another size, I'm totally fine with it, so long as I'm still healthy.
Old 06-27-11, 01:05 PM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

Yep, those jeans shrank in a strange unbalanced way . It's been known to happen to mine, too.
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 04:27 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
Yes I have been building up my obliques. So many workout instructors talk like that is a good thing and important.
Jillian Michaels isn't one of them. She said you can get enough oblique work strengthening your core all over. She doesn't do isolated oblique work herself because she doesn't like that straight look. It's a personal choice.
Old 06-27-11, 08:02 PM  
mandie123

Count me in also,I'am 6 years post menopausal still wear a size 2 but their snug now.I also have been doing more weighted work(due to having Osteoporiosis)so I think that and the age thing is whats going on with me.Also started hormones a few months ago too.
mandie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 10:59 PM  
janeomi
VF Supporter

I recently got into my smaller jeans but I realized i no longer look good in the style I was wearing back then. The legs were too wide and the waist too high! My thighs are smaller now and I found my short waist looks better in a straight boyfriend or skinny style. So go try on some new ones - you might be surprised how flattering they will be!
janeomi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeans, menopause, menopot, perimenopause