Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-11, 11:13 AM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
That makes sense. But for those of us overblessed with buttage perhaps lighter weights/no weights is the way to go....
Yes. When I did The Firms, I got a higher, rounder butt but it was also bigger. Switching to bodyweight and floorwork with Margaret Richard gave me a more compact butt. Judging from her physique -- as an apple she tends to have a naturally flatter butt -- it would also work for pancake butts because hers is higher and rounder than mine and she is in her mid-60s. So it's never too late.
Old 03-08-11, 11:19 AM  
ellenalesa

What IS shelf butt?

Does it stick out? Got a picture? I have no idea....

I'm curious because I started doing bench step ups/presses to get my hamstrings. I'm curious.
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 11:35 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I believe it was called "square butt" or "spongebob butt"!
LOL, catchy names! I'll have to do a search to see if they produce any more results!

Quote:
Ah, the legend of the "shelf butt", lol!
"The legend of the shelf butt"...sounds like a VF horror movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartsts View Post
I've never heard of the shelf butt thing, but years ago when I did Volumes 1 thru 4 exclusively, my butt never looked better!
That's what I like to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I think I looked my best doing those classic Firms. Tho I was also a lot younger then too. No "shelf butt, sponge Bob butt etc.
Hooray!

Quote:
That makes sense. But for those of us overblessed with buttage perhaps lighter weights/no weights is the way to go.... for me, anyway.
*sigh* "overblessed with buttage"...raising hand here. I'll stick w/ my light weights, too. I have a Fanny Lifter, but it's being used for a stool (for my kiddos to get into bed)...so I'll just stick with Vol. 1 and not worry 'bout it!

Thanks for all the responses! It's been entertaining to read!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 11:43 AM  
F1mom

Quote:
Also, IIRC, it happened - again to some women - when they went heavy on the tall box. The frequency of the tall box work (the Firm even used it for cardio workouts) plus heavy dumbbells was not always a good combination.

FWIW, I always felt the tall box press works well as a bodyweight exercise. If you have the right form and move slowly through the exercise, tightening your butt as you go through the motions, I don't consider additional weight necessary. Sometimes I add a couple of 5lb dumbbells but that's it.
I'm one of the ones who had Spongebob Butt. I found when I used a 12" or lower box and no weights there was no Spongebob Butt. My knees also thanked me.

I think many people, including myself, used momentum to climb on the 14" box rather than the glute muscles. A lower box and no weights forced me to contract the muscle, giving me a better shape and better workouts.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 11:53 AM  
BeChi

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1mom View Post
I think many people, including myself, used momentum to climb on the 14" box rather than the glute muscles.
I'd cling on to that 'FitStick' for dear life!!
BeChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 12:19 PM  
acescholar

Edited out: I think I misread the post.
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 12:23 PM  
Dabbadooey

Wasn't Tracie Long quoted as saying she never did tall box work except while filming because of the sponge bob butt effect?
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 12:24 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1mom View Post
I'm one of the ones who had Spongebob Butt. I found when I used a 12" or lower box and no weights there was no Spongebob Butt. My knees also thanked me.

I think many people, including myself, used momentum to climb on the 14" box rather than the glute muscles. A lower box and no weights forced me to contract the muscle, giving me a better shape and better workouts.
Oh and I should also add I've never gone above 12", but then I'm also short. It never gave me knee problems.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 12:40 PM  
kat999

I use the Fanny Lifter for all box work, from early era up through the Fit Primes, which also use tall box, and I don't ever climb the full two-stack together, using instead only the blue portion for tall box and the purple for cardio/step. The only time I combine the full two-stack is for seated upper body or the hover squats that show up primarily in FIRM Basics and Fit Prime.

I go heavy on climbing the blue box, but I've got a wimpy upper body and "heavy" for me is currently 10 lbs. Whenever I've done a lot of FIRM workouts from these eras, my naturally...um, shall we say "ample" butt/hip/thigh area has slowly but surely deflated into a still curvy but much flatter and more compact little bum. It's still very round, though, a fact which I think DH is appreciative of.

I might have more of a "square" effect if I used the full double-stack/super tall height, but I'm just too short to be able to get up there!
Old 03-08-11, 12:50 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Way back in the day, when i did the Firm 90 day rotation (Jan-March 2000), I LOVED the results. I was already at goal weight, so I had no weight to lose, but I lost an inch around my waist, my belly got really flat and..... I GAINED an inch around my hips!

It was awesome, because I have a tendency to be a flat-butted sorta gal, so for me to gain an inch of booty made me a very happy camper!

So I think if you're already bootylicious, gaining that bubble might be a bad thing; but if you're flat-butted and looking for, er, gluteal volume (lol!), tall box work is awesome!

I agree with Lucky that tall box leg presses make a great bodyweight exercise. I do them with 10 lb dumbbells but again, I need to build back there! Bodyweight would be great for those blessed gals who already have a nice curvy butt.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butt, firm, glutes, ledge butt, myth, shelf butt, spongebob butt, square butt, the firm