Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-11, 08:23 AM  
alisoncooks

The FIRM "shelf/ledge butt"...real or VF urban legend?

I've made a (temporary) shift from barre to weight work. In this, I've discovered classic FIRMs for the first time. Since I've been watching numerous clips of old FIRMs, I've noticed that some instructors (who are in current videos) had a different shape back then (specifically Kelsey, maybe Tracie Long).

So, that triggered a memory of discussion about the FIRM causing a "shelf butt" or "ledge butt" or something like that? What exactly is this? Is it ALL FIRM workouts or mainly those with the tall box work?

What has been your experience? The only FIRM I am doing is Vol. 1 (no tall box work), so I didn't think I was "at risk"...but I couldn't find any threads about this phenomenon and I was curious.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 08:30 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Ah, the legend of the "shelf butt", lol!
Some women found it happening to them when doing a lot of tall box presses. Not sure if they were doing the mid-era Firms (mid to late 90s aka the Tracie Long years) or the Goodtimes (GT) Firms (BSS-1, BSS-2), but those workouts used the tall box in virtually every workout.

I was never much into either the mid-era or GT Firms, but the classics (vols 1-6) had substantially less tall box, which wasn't even introduced until Vol 3 (and that volume had very little), so I wouldn't even worry about it with the route you're going.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 08:37 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I believe it was called "square butt" or "spongebob butt"!

It has never happened to me and I have done the Classics for 20 years.
Old 03-08-11, 08:54 AM  
iheartsts

I've never heard of the shelf butt thing, but years ago when I did Volumes 1 thru 4 exclusively, my butt never looked better! With all the hundreds of workouts I've purchased and done since then, these still "firmed" me up like no other... A question to myself would be, why don't I still do them more frequently???
Old 03-08-11, 09:02 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Also, IIRC, it happened - again to some women - when they went heavy on the tall box. The frequency of the tall box work (the Firm even used it for cardio workouts) plus heavy dumbbells was not always a good combination.

FWIW, I always felt the tall box press works well as a bodyweight exercise. If you have the right form and move slowly through the exercise, tightening your butt as you go through the motions, I don't consider additional weight necessary. Sometimes I add a couple of 5lb dumbbells but that's it.
Old 03-08-11, 09:05 AM  
PhyllisG

I think I looked my best doing those classic Firms. Tho I was also a lot younger then too. No "shelf butt, sponge Bob butt etc. Those tall box climbs even helped my knees get stronger. Sometimes I wonder if I should just toss everything else out and go back to rotating those early Firms.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 09:08 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartsts View Post
I've never heard of the shelf butt thing, but years ago when I did Volumes 1 thru 4 exclusively, my butt never looked better!
Right! And out of volumes 1-4, only one (vol 3) features the tall box and only for a short time. Vol 4 uses a short step for cardio. Those four are my all-time favorites too. Throw in Total Body Shaping Mix as a "greatest hits" from the mid-era Firms and I'm set!
Old 03-08-11, 10:12 AM  
kaylasmom321

Years ago, before I started working out, I was very skinny, and was told I had a very flat butt. I started doing the firm classics, and gradually upped my weights on the leg presses. Eventually I was using 2 20lb. dumbells for them. Well, that sure did the trick!!! Those shaped my butt like no other, for me. I guess for my body shape, this worked well for me, but everyone is different. I have never heard of shelf/ledge butt, though.....
kaylasmom321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 10:15 AM  
jacmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasmom321 View Post
Years ago, before I started working out, I was very skinny, and was told I had a very flat butt. I started doing the firm classics, and gradually upped my weights on the leg presses. Eventually I was using 2 20lb. dumbells for them. Well, that sure did the trick!!! Those shaped my butt like no other, for me. I guess for my body shape, this worked well for me, but everyone is different. I have never heard of shelf/ledge butt, though.....
I totally agree with you. My butt had no shape or size to it until I started doing leg press with heavy weights.
jacmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 10:37 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

That makes sense. But for those of us overblessed with buttage perhaps lighter weights/no weights is the way to go.... for me, anyway.

Tags
butt, firm, glutes, ledge butt, myth, shelf butt, spongebob butt, square butt, the firm