Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-02-21, 02:48 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
....but I wanted to mention a book I borrowed from the library that is relevant. It is called "Making Space, Clutter Free" by Tracy Mccubbin. She talks about Clutter Blocks such as "My stuff keeps me in the past" "My stuff tells me who I am" "The stuff I am avoiding", "My fantasy stuff for my fantasy life" "I'm not worth my good stuff", "Trapped with other people's stuff" and :The stuff I keep paying for." She explains each "block", clues that it applies to you then an approach to deal with it. ...
I'm well into this book and have found it a great read, thank you!

Thanks to the book (and chatting with another VFer ) I went through jeans and tank tops and took a small pile of both to Goodwill along with some clothes my husband my purged.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-21, 05:36 PM  
Vantreesta

I don't think I posted that the declutterbug bit me the other day. I have a bag to donate to the thrift store of 2 skirts and a lot of tank tops. Yay me!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 08:58 PM  
DCW

It's getting colder so I finally need to dig out my boots. Well I found a few pairs of shoes I will never wear again. I now have pandemic feet which means only comfortable shoes. No crazy high heels. I swear I got a foot cramp just looking at one pair.

I will bundle them up and donate them. I am quite sure they will find a happier home.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-21, 12:07 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I have been tossing/donating in fits and starts. Some things I have no problem with. Some are actually quite painful.

This is an old article I ran across which made me laugh.

There is bad language:

"How to Throw Things Away Like A God Damn Grown Up"

https://www.smaggle.com/how-to-throw...damn-grown-up/

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-21, 02:56 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
No crazy high heels. I swear I got a foot cramp just looking at one pair.
DCW this made me laugh. I'm all about comfort too whether shoes or clothes.

Vintage VFer Great article! Thankfully I'm not as bad as some of the examples given(ie: I don't put grody containers back in a cabinet-GROSS ) but I still have plenty of room for improvement in other ways.

I've been slow on the decluttering as of recent. Very busy workwise but I've got some ideas for when things slow down again.

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-21, 07:29 PM  
DCW

I love the article!!!

I am decluttering by not buying more pantry items and using what I have. I rarely bake but I will start versus buying cookies and cakes. Thank goodness fall and winter are around the corner because all those beans will be made into soup or hummus.

My DH asks what do we need from the grocery store?
NOTHING!!!!
Old 10-09-21, 07:47 PM  
fanofladyvols

I finished reading the book recommended lreidgreen and it was full of good insight! Especially when trying to think through to the obstacle leading to the clutter.

I appreciated her guidance on decluttering after death or divorce as well.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-21, 08:57 PM  
Vantreesta

That was a good article. I have all three of those reasons for hoarding! I appreciated the point about buying good quality instead of repeatedly replacing cheap stuff. Maybe that will be the push I need to start slowly replacing plastic food storage with glass.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-21, 05:20 PM  
BunnyHop

Loved that article!

This quote rings true to me: "Start making better purchasing choices and you’ll save both the planet and your wallet."

I find that making more deliberate choices has made my life neater, too.
Old 10-24-21, 08:32 PM  
DCW

I did a refresh in our living room by using the stuff we have. I moved our small Christmas decorations up to the front of the closet. I stopped at a yard sale and saw some wine glasses marked $60 . I did buy a mug for a family member. I looked at stuff 2 and 3 times figuring if I NEEDED it. Nope not a thing.

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter