Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-21, 10:20 PM  
fanofladyvols

Watching the video finally made me understand why all the greek statues, lol. The clips and photos of old exercise, esp. the indian clubs clip was pretty interesting!

I enjoyed watching it

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 06:36 AM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Surprisingly, I had never seen this before despite having done Firm workouts for 20 some years! So thanks for posting, Gemini, and welcome! I owned Vol. 6 on VHS back in the day and tried Volume 1 once, but the original 6 Firm workouts never appealed to me much. I was surprised in the video that the original tall box was 17 inches! Dang! I always thought 14 inches was the highest box used. And they initially recommended 3, 5, and 10 pound dumbbells for women instead of 3, 5, and 8 pounds recommended in later Firm workouts. There is lots of great information in the video. I already knew a lot of it, but it was fun to see the history of weight lifting and aerobics.
The tall box was introduced in 14" and 17" at the same time, 14 for most women and 17 for very tall women. Later they recommended that the 17" just be used for seated and leaning exercises. They didn't come out with the 12" tall box until 1995. I'm 5'1" and I ordered it immediately.
Old 03-09-21, 04:02 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Glad people liked the 20 Questions About Fitness! A big thank you to whoever that individual is who posted it online! I just got lucky when I stumbled across it when I was looking for a DVD conversion of the 20 questions! Thought other Firm Believers (or fitness enthusiasts) who post here might want to check it out! As mentioned, it came with our VHS versions of the workouts (back in the day...ha) but I don't believe it ever did get converted to dvd. At least, I haven't found it yet!

I use to have one of the original wooden boxes as well! I think it was the 17" because I was young and thought I was a badass back then!! :-) For reference, I can barely use a 6" now without my knees hurting. How times have changed!!!
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 06:23 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
The tall box was introduced in 14" and 17" at the same time, 14 for most women and 17 for very tall women. Later they recommended that the 17" just be used for seated and leaning exercises. They didn't come out with the 12" tall box until 1995. I'm 5'1" and I ordered it immediately.
I did not own a tall box until I ordered the Transfirmer from BSS4. Back when I started doing firm workouts, I had a regular step that I used and for the tall box I used a 15 inch tall storage ottoman that had a cushy foam top. Now that I think about it, tall box climbs on that ottoman were harder than using the Transfirmer because of the unstable top. I had to engage my core more to be able to do the climb. I don't have that ottoman anymore since my previous cat shredded the fabric so I can't test out my theory. I'm still doing the 14 inch tall box climbs, and I will continue to do so until my knees tell me otherwise.
Old 03-10-21, 06:29 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post

I use to have one of the original wooden boxes as well! I think it was the 17" because I was young and thought I was a badass back then!! :-) For reference, I can barely use a 6" now without my knees hurting. How times have changed!!!
Maximum Body Shaping with Tracie Long was my first Firm workout and I remember struggling through lunges and having knee pain. I stuck with it and strengthened my knees (well, and everything else) and exercise became so much easier! Good for you with restarting. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it. Remember, don't go too hard at first- give your body time to adapt!
Old 03-10-21, 06:29 PM  
kat999

That's funny, Wendy, since before I got the Fanny Lifter, I also used a little ottoman for the tall box climbs on the classics. For segments in later FIRMs where you just use the step as a bench/seat, I would use a folding chair. It probably indeed was harder with the slightly unstable surface!
Old 03-10-21, 08:04 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Maximum Body Shaping with Tracie Long was my first Firm workout and I remember struggling through lunges and having knee pain. I stuck with it and strengthened my knees (well, and everything else) and exercise became so much easier! Good for you with restarting. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it. Remember, don't go too hard at first- give your body time to adapt!
Thanks, Wendy!!!
Old 03-11-21, 08:49 AM  
katalina

Quote:
Glad people liked the 20 Questions About Fitness! A big thank you to whoever that individual is who posted it online! I just got lucky when I stumbled across it when I was looking for a DVD conversion of the 20 questions! Thought other Firm Believers (or fitness enthusiasts) who post here might want to check it out! As mentioned, it came with our VHS versions of the workouts (back in the day...ha) but I don't believe it ever did get converted to dvd. At least, I haven't found it yet!

20 Questions about Fitness is on the FIRMology DVD.
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 03:31 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalina View Post
20 Questions about Fitness is on the FIRMology DVD.
Thank you so much!! I had no idea!!! Just bought it....looks interesting!!!!!! Thanks again!!!!
Old 03-11-21, 05:49 PM  
katalina

Quote:
Thank you so much!! I had no idea!!! Just bought it....looks interesting!!!!!! Thanks again!!!!
You're welcome. Enjoy!
I remember watching both dvds when I purchased it. It's been awhile.
Talking about it - I'm going to watch it again soon!!
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm 20 questions, the firm