Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-22, 01:13 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
Man why can't these people hack like the IRS and give everyone an extra thousand bucks instead of harassing innocent people.
Right??

Sorry this happened to you, FitBoop. I know how awful it feels, being an ID theft victim (been there and still worry about it). It's also very stressful and time-consuming to straighten everything out and it sucks!! Big hugs to you!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-22, 07:28 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
If this could happen to me, it can happen to anyone. We just have to do whatever we can to protect ourselves.

One thing that really irks me is that the bank where the criminal opened the account was a bank that I did business with until several years ago. Since I was a customer, the bank has my social security number along with all my data, and the bank rep found my data as soon as I gave her my SSN. So it boggles the mind that a major US bank allowed an account to be opened with my SSN and birthday, and someone else's name and address!
That is nuts! I hate that this happened to you!
Old 06-06-22, 07:06 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Thanks, kittybug, star117, gigi and Vintage VFer. Donna, I'm sorry your daughter went through that, but it's good that she was alerted right away.

Everyone should make sure that alerts are turned on for every bank account and credit card. You want to get an alert any time there is any activity, by text and email.

For this situation, I had to fill out a whole bunch of documents and send the bank copies of my driver's license, social security card and utility bills to prove my identity. They said they may still deny my claim and let the identity thief keep the account---can you believe that?

Isn't it amazing how you can be going along, minding your own business, and then have to deal with a bunch of garbage that you had nothing to do with?
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-22, 08:00 PM  
star117

That is nuts!!!!
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-22, 05:01 PM  
JeepGirl

Quote:
Thanks, kittybug, star117, gigi and Vintage VFer. Donna, I'm sorry your daughter went through that, but it's good that she was alerted right away.

Everyone should make sure that alerts are turned on for every bank account and credit card. You want to get an alert any time there is any activity, by text and email.

For this situation, I had to fill out a whole bunch of documents and send the bank copies of my driver's license, social security card and utility bills to prove my identity. They said they may still deny my claim and let the identity thief keep the account---can you believe that?

Isn't it amazing how you can be going along, minding your own business, and then have to deal with a bunch of garbage that you had nothing to do with?
That is unbelievable!!

FitBoop, quick question. I went to the e-verify site but it’s a little confusing. What exactly did you do there?
JeepGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-22, 07:02 PM  
LAC

Quote:

That they might let the identify thief keep the account is just crazy! So basically, no punishment for the criminal. Absolutely sickening!
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 08:30 AM  
LoveVA

To protect against unauthorized checking/saving accounts, consider setting up a freeze with ChexSystems.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/b...ent-frozen-yet
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 06:11 PM  
TracyQ

FiitBoop—thank you for starting this thread. So sorry this happened to you.

I had today off from work and decided to check mine and my husband’s credit reports after reading about you. Mine were fine but my husband’s Experian report had two out of state addresses listed for him. Both in Georgia. He never lived in Georgia. I initiated a dispute to have the addresses removed but I would like to figure out how this happened and what it means. Everything else on the reports looked fine.

I Zillowed both addresses and saw both houses.

I’m concerned something nefarious is going on here.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-22, 11:43 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl View Post
That is unbelievable!!

FitBoop, quick question. I went to the e-verify site but it’s a little confusing. What exactly did you do there?
Jeepgirl, when you go to the website, you scroll down and towards the bottom, you click on "MyE-Verify." Then click on "Use Self-Lock." Then click on "Visit My-E-Verify." Then click on "Create an Account." You fill out the information and after you create the account, you lock it.
Old 06-16-22, 11:48 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

LoveVA, thanks for the link. After this happened, I ran a search on ChexSystems. I will look into freezing.

Tracy, that is a worrisome finding on your husband's credit report. If he doesn't already use Experian ID Works, he should get it. It is the only service that seems to pick up everything. I recently had a credit inquiry that I initiated, and got an alert from ID Works. I have several monitoring services, and none of the other ones sent me an alert. That's also the service that alerted me to the fraudulent bank account.

Tags
credit reports, identity theft, privacy, security, social security numbers