Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-21, 12:57 PM  
Libby

Being fit and getting Covid

For those of you who caught Covid and were physically fit from exercising before you caught it, did it seem like being fit helped you recover faster? I know you aren't supposed to exercise while you are sick and recovering. We haven't caught it yet and I'm been exercising for years. Just wondering what impact that will have on me if I do catch it. Thanks for your input. I know everyone's situation/case is different.
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-21, 01:20 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I don't think it's advised but people are still going to do what they want.

I think they should check with their doctor also to determine if they are still fit enough for exercise.

I did not get Covid but If I were to get ill, I'd rest. Body needs all it's streght to fight off the Virus.

While exercise can be helpful in strengthening the immune system to fight off illness, it is not always advisable once you become ill. Sometimes it’s better to keep your sneakers in the closet and just rest. However, there are times when light- to moderate-intensity activity may actually help you feel better.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-21, 01:50 PM  
rhbrand

It can help, but I know someone who use to go to spin class 3-4 times a week plus some light weight training, who got Covid, and now she can barely walk across her house without getting winded. Long term syndrome. She is now off oxygen but can in no way do a spin class.
Its been about 7 months. She got it right before she could have gotten the vaccination.
Old 08-21-21, 01:59 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

there's a lot to be said about resilience - that of staying physically fit and preventing yourself from getting the disease.

according to this article, written in Apr 2021 before the full effects of vaccination could be assessed, "people who exercised regularly and then tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 were less likely to experience more severe COVID-19 outcomes":

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2021...0study%20shows.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-21, 02:01 PM  
Gams

I don’t think there’s any way to know for sure. I know a couple who both got COVID - they both were healthy and fit. The wife’s symptoms were like a mild flu and she recovered quickly. The husband passed away last week.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-21, 02:04 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
there's a lot to be said about resilience - that of staying physically fit and preventing yourself from getting the disease.

according to this article, written in Apr 2021 before the full effects of vaccination could be assessed, "people who exercised regularly and then tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 were less likely to experience more severe COVID-19 outcomes":

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2021...0study%20shows.
Thanks for that. It’s motivation to work out when I don’t feel like it.

There are also studies linking certain diet habits to better Covid outcomes. All of these things are common sense, and while not a guarantee, doing all we can to stay healthy is always a good idea. If the threat of Covid is what gets me off the couch on blah days, strengthening bones and warding off heart disease another day, it’s all good, right?
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-21, 02:36 PM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

What about that doctor that was a marathon runner and nearly died from Covid.
Old 08-21-21, 03:06 PM  
kat999

This is purely anecdotal, but I had a former classmate who got COVID very early on when it was first making its way to the states, and she is in her early or mid-thirties, very fit, and runs. She actually kept running (half-heartedly, according to her, but she did do it) even while sick, and she swears it helped in her recovery. Mind you, this was not the Delta variant or anything.

Obviously if you're not used to doing a particular style of workout, don't take it up while you have COVID. And don't do anything that makes you feel worse. However, very light exercise that helps with lung function could actually be helpful. Consider the fact that they recommend you check your blood oxygen level when you have COVID, via a pulse oximeter, and that aerobic exercise increases your blood oxygen level.

Please note: I am not a medical doctor, nurse, or anything, I just read up on COVID quite a lot and am honestly petrified of catching it (despite being vaccinated), so I am always chasing info.
Old 08-21-21, 03:42 PM  
alisoncooks

I mean, I suppose exercise helps in the sense that it may help hold off obesity and diabetes, both of which have more negative COVID outcomes.

Otherwise, it seems to be the luck of the draw, how a body reacts to the virus.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-21, 04:32 PM  
Karla25

I had Covid and it was no big deal. I think being physically fit helped, but I also took zinc, quercetin, and d3/k2 combo to help build-up my immune system beforehand. I think diet and mental/spiritual health also play an important part in being/staying healthy. I was able to clean house and garden when I had it. I probably could have exercised, but I was afraid to make it worse. I decided it was best to take it easy for a few days. I might have done some light stretching workouts, but really don't remember for sure.

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, exercising when sick