Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-19-21, 08:45 PM  
Gardengirl

Can someone explain Barre 3

I need a break! My workouts feel like I’m beating myself up pretty regularly. I want to use weights, not rep myself to death with 3 lbs (which doesn’t feel like I’m working my muscles much), but not kill myself either. I’ve never done any barre workouts but I’m interested in gentler workouts and the newer ones use up to 8 lbs.
Talk me in or out of these.
Old 08-20-21, 09:09 AM  
donnamp

I think they have a free trial on their site so you can check it out to see if you would like it!

Also they have sales throughout the year - so if you wanted to subscribe, I'd probably hold off until Black Friday!

I haven't done their new stuff but I have the QVC DVD set from several years ago as well as the Prevention Love Your Lower Body set.

I enjoy it for a change of pace - I would describe them more as fusion workouts - at least those that I have - they tend to use lighter weights and higher # of reps.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-21, 10:49 AM  
Gardengirl

Thanks Donna. Good idea on the Black Friday sale.

I found a YouTube video that was an hour long, no weights used and thought I’d do a few minutes to get the feel of it. I was pleasantly surprised by good music, a more athletic feel than ballet feel, and not feeling repped to death. It felt doable and I actually wound up doing the entire hour! What a pleasant surprise.

I’m hoping that you can tailor these to a complete rotation of weights, cardio, and flexibility workouts, and hopefully there is a rotation like that on their app.

Now….can I hold out till Black Friday??!?! Wait, Black Friday starts way before Thanksgiving these days!
Old 08-20-21, 11:03 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl View Post
I found a YouTube video that was an hour long, no weights used and thought I’d do a few minutes to get the feel of it. I was pleasantly surprised by good music, a more athletic feel than ballet feel, and not feeling repped to death. It felt doable and I actually wound up doing the entire hour! What a pleasant surprise.
could you provide a link of the workout you did on youtube?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-21, 11:21 AM  
prettyinpink

I still really like barre3.

I would do it by itself for a break from weights for a few weeks. Not for too long, though, because while I think it would be enough to maintain upper body strength for a little while, for lower body, it’s only bodyweight and mostly large range, so it’s little more than cardio for me.

The way I would describe the workout is four-limbed fusion light to moderate cardio. Many of the workouts have a few minutes of floor core work included.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-21, 11:25 AM  
Gardengirl

https://youtu.be/AeGdR2mf4oc

Hopefully this works!
Old 08-20-21, 11:30 AM  
Gardengirl

Prettyinpink, from what I’ve read, they’ve changed their program to include heavier weights in the “strength segment”. Suggested weights are 8-15 pounds, which is what caught my eye. I think there seems to be enough leg work, but I need heavier weights than 2-3 lbs for upper and is why I was interested in Barre3.

That being said, I’ve not tried or seen the heavier segments yet and hope someone here has done them and will chime in.
Old 08-21-21, 02:30 PM  
Anne29

Hi Judy,

I subscribe to Barre 3, and I was a huge B3 fan for a number of years. Lately though I've been having trouble figuring out fitting Barre3 into everything else I do. The lower body and core work were working great for me, but the upper body moves weren't. I carry a lot of tension in my neck and traps and my chest and shoulders are weak in comparison to my back, and it seemed like their idea to work the upper body always involved holding the weights out in front of you or out to the side. So I'd go light for those moves (like 3lbs) but then they'd turn it into a compound move and add a row or something and then I'd wish I had much heavier weights. They also do a lot of planks--they're in pretty much every workout. I totally respect that, but I started noticing that even after months of doing their workouts I never got better at the planks. I'm not sure if it was my neck/trap issues or some weak spot in my core or something, but I felt like for whatever reason Barre3 just wasn't giving me what I needed in a strength routine.

I was excited when I saw that they were creating new workouts that focused more specifically on building strength and that they are encouraging people to use heavier weights for them. But then I previewed 1 or 2 of them, and I saw some of the same issues I mentioned above, just with heavier weights. I'm sure they work for some people, if you don't mind using the same weights for your lats as you do for your delts. I don't know, the moves might build more functional strength than say isolated lat rows. I'm not the expert. But yeah, I think I'll stick with Cathe for strength.

I will say that when I was recovering from a back injury, I did a three-week B3 rotation and totally loved it. I felt like I'd found the "Goldilocks" workout--not too hard, not too easy, but just right. And I could get myself to do a B3 workout regardless of whether I'd gotten a good night's sleep or had some tight/sore spot somewhere. I don't always feel up for a tough workout, and I could tailor any workout of theirs based on how I was feeling. I love the way they get you to think about what's right for your body right now. And I always felt better after a B3 workout than when I started. You get the blood flowing and the mood lift regardless of how hard you push. So maybe give them a try and see if they're right for where you're at. Hope that helps!
Anne29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-21, 02:40 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I agree that Barre3 can have that "Goldilocks" feeling to it!

There aren't many "official" B3 routines on YouTube, but here's a short one with founder Sadie Lincoln that I think is pretty representative of the method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpJo...ZE54Wd&index=1

During the height of the pandemic, they had also posted a series of 20-minute live videos on Facebook. I was enjoying them and had saved some, but it looks like they removed them all.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-21, 11:59 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne29 View Post
and it seemed like their idea to work the upper body always involved holding the weights out in front of you or out to the side. So I'd go light for those moves (like 3lbs) but then they'd turn it into a compound move and add a row or something and then I'd wish I had much heavier weights. They also do a lot of planks--they're in pretty much every workout. I totally respect that, but I started noticing that even after months of doing their workouts I never got better at the planks.
I agree with this.

Barre3 strength work focuses more on the muscles you can see, shoulders, bis, tris, and not on the back. There is also hardly anything for the chest.

I think the way I got better at planks is by focusing on form, mostly from other workouts. I feel like the bare3 instruction used to be a little better for planks, though I’m not sure because I don’t pay as much attention any more.
At least they do include planks in most of the workouts. The same isn’t true for push-ups. Push-ups are randomly thrown in once in a while, and unless you can already do them, I don’t think you are likely to learn to do them or get better at doing them from barre3.

I haven’t tried the latest Strength workouts. There are just a few. A while back, they had Interval Training, which was just weight circuits, not intervals. They used heavier weights and went slower, but I did not like those workouts at all.
But it all depends on what you are used to doing, what other workouts you plan to do, and what your goals are. Barre3 fits a certain niche for me, and it isn’t weight training. Occasionally I use even 2-3# or no weights at all when I am tired from an UB strength workout immediately before, or the day before.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre 3, barre3