Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-21, 09:28 AM  
Pam

Tapout XT--Really Need a Ball with a Handle?

I recently got the set Tapout XT 2 from the KineticFlex sale and I already had a virgin copy of Tapout XT, the first one. I am excited to start them, but do I really need a medicine ball with a handle?

I have medicine balls without handles and kettlebells in assorted weights. I would like to use these as substitutions. Your thoughts? TIA!
Old 08-04-21, 12:21 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

For several of the exercises, you will need a ball with handles. There are some good examples in the Sprawl and Brawl 2 workout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71DVHqdxl4U

(For anyone interested, a lot of the Tapout XT and XT2 workouts are on YouTube!)

A lot of the time you are holding the ball with one hand, so the handle is necessary. There used to be a few of the actual Tapout branded balls on Ebay but I couldn't find any right now with a quick look. But any med ball with handles will work I found this 4 lb one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/TAP-Medicine-...8097441&sr=8-5 and there are others as well. I don't think they used to cost quite so much, so maybe you can find a cheaper one somewhere.

Actually, just found the 4 lb Tapout ball on Walmart's website for $24.99 with free shipping! https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tapout-XT...lack/508178471

ETA: You don't need the ball at all for the first set, only for XT2.

ETA again: Now I want to ditch my current plan and do Tapout XT It's so much fun, and I love Mike Karpenko!
Old 08-04-21, 02:54 PM  
Pam

Thanks zraipel for your research and comments! VFers are the best!

Unfortunately the all 2 handle balls are sold out in Walmart (didn't tell me this until I tried to pay for the ball in my Chart), Amazon, etc. What I get for being late to the Tapout party. Maybe a VFer would like to trade theirs, plus I will list it on VF Roost as a wishlist item.

I did the Legs and Back workout, from the first set, this morning. I was surprised how many pushups there were in a Leg workout. I know they are strengthening for the back and they are my weakest exercise, so they are good for me. I think I am going to love this set!
Old 08-04-21, 03:35 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Here's a 6 pound one in stock at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/SPRI-Dual-Xer...095590077&th=1

I have the 6 pound Tapout ball. It's more of a challenge than a 4 lb one would be, but if you get through the first XT, the 6 pounder should be good! You could also try using a dumbbell for most of the exercises that use the ball. I haven't tried that, so I don't know for sure if it would be adequate, but you could try it out.

ETA: Found another one on Amazon. It would be a little over 6 pounds but it's a lot cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/Mind-Reader-M...12183888&psc=1
Old 08-05-21, 11:18 AM  
Pam

Quote:
I have the 6 pound Tapout ball. It's more of a challenge than a 4 lb one would be, but if you get through the first XT, the 6 pounder should be good! You could also try using a dumbbell for most of the exercises that use the ball. I haven't tried that, so I don't know for sure if it would be adequate, but you could try it out.

ETA: Found another one on Amazon. It would be a little over 6 pounds but it's a lot cheaper:
Thanks again for your help Zraipel! I purchased the SPRI one, as shifting sand inside weights, I find very distracting. Spending the $$$ will help encourage me to push harder and be able to use the 6# 2-handle ball. I have 3# and 5# hand weights, I will try using them if I need something lighter.
Old 08-05-21, 11:58 AM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I'm glad you found one I really do think I'm going to do Tapout now instead of my original plan, lol!! I won't be able to do the rotation as written because I work 2 jobs and can't do 6 workouts a week that are more than 30 minutes, but I'm hoping to do at least 4 a week.

This is the problem/benefit of VF... knowing what all your options are and being dis-enabled from one thing by being enabled by another
Old 08-05-21, 07:04 PM  
Pam

I admire your determination to do workouts, while working at 2 jobs, plus helping others on VF (like me). Glad to do a little enabling.

It seems Tapout workouts include upper body exercises in each workouts. My sore arm is healing, but needs a day's break between workouts, so will need sub in other workouts to give my arm a break.
Old 08-06-21, 06:57 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Wouldn't a kettlebell work?
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-21, 08:20 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
Wouldn't a kettlebell work?
Not for everything. Some moves require you to use both grips on the ball (the ball is a dual-grip). But if you don't have the ball you could definitely use a kettlebell, or use a dumbbell, you just may have to adjust how you hold it on some moves. And you'd want to use a very light weight. I think the 6 lb ball is close to the max of what I'd ever want to use for these workouts. Some people may be able to go heavier, though
Old 08-07-21, 02:35 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

You can hold kettlebell 2 handed; i.e. kettlebell goblet squat.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
medicine ball, sprawl, tapout xt, tapout xt ball