Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-11, 05:54 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Interesting info about deep squats. My son came back from SE Asia with stories telling me that the toilet seats in some areas he visited are low on the ground. You have no choice but to squat to use the toilet. There are also toilets in a Japanese airport with toilets that are flat on the floor. Just an OT post.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 06:29 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post

I've also noticed frequent comments by Jill Miller as I read other posts on Katy's blog. Apparently, their philosophies mesh. I also wonder how Yamuna fits in here since I have some foot and ankle issues due to a bone spur on the back of my left heel causing achilles tendon issues. I have them in control right now but I want to keep them that way. Her foot and ankle work intigues me.
Yes Jill and Katy are in accord and in communication. Jill has her teacher trainees doing lots of squatting.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 06:47 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizach View Post
Interesting info about deep squats. My son came back from SE Asia with stories telling me that the toilet seats in some areas he visited are low on the ground. You have no choice but to squat to use the toilet. There are also toilets in a Japanese airport with toilets that are flat on the floor. Just an OT post.
Yes, I was just thinking this gives me a new perspective on squatty potties!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 07:06 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Many of the rest-stops in France (more rural areas) are still the squatting kind (holes in ground). Most kindly have a textured bit to place your feet so you won't slip I started wearing skirts on holiday a lot more often, mainly because pants or shorts were a pita in these instances
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 07:21 AM  
naturallove

Quote:
During my time in India, where many people had no problem doing ATG squats and crossing their legs, I figured out that I couldn't--and that something was wrong with my hips. I think Katy's stuff looks good--but some of us are anatomically unable to do these exercises.
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 08:51 AM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by in paris View Post
Many of the rest-stops in France (more rural areas) are still the squatting kind (holes in ground). Most kindly have a textured bit to place your feet so you won't slip I started wearing skirts on holiday a lot more often, mainly because pants or shorts were a pita in these instances

So interesting!

Here is some more how to squat info using a door by Katie from a Gaiam blog post:
http://blog.gaiam.com/blog/the-gathe...e-natural-way/

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 09:24 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post
Yes Jill and Katy are in accord and in communication. Jill has her teacher trainees doing lots of squatting.
Yes, I actually heard about Katy through Jill Miller's blog, or FB page, or whatever it was. Anyway, through Jill Miller. Another person - somewhat oddly - that has an overlapping philosophy is Kelly Starret of the Mobility WOD, who advocates accumulating 10 minutes of squatting - eventually. Something to work up to, not do all at once right away!! Kelly is like Jill's testosterone-charged little brother I almost can't stand listening to him, but his approach to alignment, release and strengthening is very like Jill's and Katy's. It's good stuff (when I'm in the mood to listen).

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 12:45 PM  
Castella

I've used those hole-in-the-ground toilets in France. One minor feature usually not available is something like a hand bar or really anything that you can grab if you lose your balance (eek) or need help getting up.

So I keep following this thread and looking at the links. I can do the parallel foot squat if I have a shoe with a slight heel (for instance at work). That is actually easier for me than heels off the ground, because my ankles are weak.

Also, maybe I am missing something, but for me, to push back my behind and keep my knees at or behind my toes, I really need to push up from the heel. I can do this with with a heeled shoe. I can do it on my toes as well, but I have to lean much more forward and I feel a lot less stable in my hips and knees (and ankles).
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 04:06 PM  
JENILU

Karenjo, thankyou!
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garland pose, katy bowman, kegels, malasana, squat depth, squats