Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-04-21, 01:39 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Moms of school-aged kids and tweenagers, Oct-Dec 2021

Hi all! Stephanie, that's so cool you started your own business. If I hire you, would you come out here to help? I'm curious how it's going. We'd love to make some updates to our home but there's a huge shortage of materials here. Tons of houses are being built and the builders are heading to Home Depot because they can't get stuff from their usual suppliers, and there's not much left for anyone else. Is the Conqueror Challenge the name of the app?

TonyaK, DD has a history of fibbing and being sneaky. I feel like we always address it and at the same time, no consequence has ever seemed to make a huge difference. I keep trying to decide whether that's what this really is. I mean, I suppose we all get distracted when studying or doing house work and such, but lying about it seems worse. How's PT going? Are you feeling better?

DS is sleeping a bit better, I think. Being on fall break and traveling last week probably won't help though. I feel it's important I help him understand that not sleeping great now and then is normal! Stephanie, the note thing might actually work. At least, he'll have something to do and feel occupied!

We went up north Thur. and came back yesterday. My race was Saturday and went really well! I was supposed to run with a friend but she decided not to go for some reason and I was nervous about running alone. I was afraid I'd be slow and it'd be torture but it went well! I wanted to finish in under 90 minutes because DS was running a kids' kilo 90 minutes after my start. The race was a tiny bit short--5.95 miles instead of 6.2--and I finished in 1:23. I didn't have as hard a time with the altitude or hills as I expected and it was so nice up there.

Overall our trip was pretty laid back. We did a short walk, I did a short solo hike, we ate out, watched movies, went to laser tag, and the kids did a ropes course. DS wanted to do that because he did it before COVID and had trouble. This time it was easy for both of them, and they're ready for the adult course next time!

Quick other stuff--I took DD to the Gold Over America show on 9/22 and we had fun with the other moms and girls. DH took a quick trip to CO and visited his parents. The kids have one more week of fall break and hopefully won't be bored stiff by the time they go back!

I have Monday 10/11 off and am looking forward to that. I signed up for a 5K on 10/24 so I have a reason to keep running. I'm feeling meh about Halloween, trying to figure out what to do for Thanksgiving and December.

And I think that's it! Hope everyone joins me on this thread!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-21, 02:05 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Pratima, of course I'll take the job! I am planning to offer e-design, too, but that doesn't really sound like what you're describing. Are you planning some renovations? Supply chain is a mess everywhere. I'm really hoping the world stabilizes somewhat soon. I'm so weary of all the rancor!

I just texted you a referral for the conqueror challenges. It's kinda fun!

Sounds like your race went great! I saw the pics on FB. Your family is so sporty!

I didn't drink enough water over the weekend and so I'm trying to hydrate. I'm soooo stiff and creaky... and dehydrated. I like all the walking, but I'm off to do a little yoga. I need to work the kinks out!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-21, 02:48 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Stephanie, I saw your text and thought it was spam at first! That looks pretty cool. I feel like having a specific goal like that helps motivate me, at least.

We do want to renovate but it's one of those things that could be a HUGE project and it's tough to know where to start, especially with the current supply issues. I mostly want to redo our flooring (all the carpet and tile is pretty disgusting) and a couple of the bathrooms (shower insert in the kids' is moldy and just can't be cleaned) but DH wants to reconfigure the kitchen and we've talked about expanding the downstairs bedroom and bath to possibly accommodate his mom or my grandma who may one day live here.

With the flooring it'd be a major change probably, from beiges and browns to more grays. Nothing in our house has been changed since it was built in 2005 or so. The thought of picking all this stuff out freaks me out! I didn't have a hard time with the pool I had a very specific design in mind--shape, colors, materials, everything. Not so with the house.

DH talked about him and a friend remodeling the downstairs bedroom and the flooring and I was like, Are you nuts?? Our backyard has been half-done for about 6 years now. His little project may never be finished (it's a pizza oven on a patio or something!) and there's no way I'm letting him spend forever in the house with it torn up.

So, it will probably fall to me, and I'm not in a huge hurry considering we just put in the pool and with the supply issues!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 10-28-21, 12:58 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I'm here! My month hasn't gone at all the way I planned. I so intended to check-in and just didn't.

My dad ended up in the hospital around 10/8 for the second time in three months. I wasn't going to go (my brother went last time) and then my brother guilted me into it. I spent a week there, basically running around taking care of my 91-year old grandma (she's in great health and all, just can't stay at home alone for days on end), visiting him in the hospital, running errands, and making a ton of calls to arrange private duty care.

He came home midweek and was very weak, confused, and stubborn about his state. I did get help, and two days after I left he was rude to and fired them. The whole week was super stressful and I've never been so happy to be home in my whole life!

I did enjoy the weather and got in some short workouts plus one run there. Came back 10/17 and did a 5K last weekend. Finished in 10:21 which surprised me and it wore me out! I feel like I've been in recovery mode all month--from the trail 10K, the 5K, and the trip to GA.

I'm supposed to have surgery for a small abdominal hernia on 11/11. It's bothered me on and off for years and I finally saw a surgeon a while ago. Recovery is supposed to take a couple of weeks and then a gradual buildup back to fitness. I recovered pretty well from my lumpectomy and c-sections so I'm hoping this isn't too bad.

The next couple of weeks I'd like to do more strength work. It's suddenly dark and cool here in the mornings so tough to get going!

I joined a gym a while back and it finally opened last month. I've gone exactly once! Tried a Total Fitness class. It was nice to get out and be around other people. Somehow tough to get myself there though. They have nice Schwinn Carbon Blue bikes in the spin room so I do want to try those and some iFit workouts on treadmills and ellipticals.

Anyone have Halloween decorations or plans? We did a small skeleton wedding scene out front. Since DH will be working during Halloween itself, he won't be putting out all the usual animatronic stuff. I'm feeling very meh about the holiday this year. DD is ridiculously excited for candy. <rolleyes> I'm wondering if I could just let them go on their own. Probably not. Ah well!

Old 11-16-21, 07:10 PM  
TonyaK

Hello!! I'm glad you're still here I got distracted by COVID and I haven't checked in for so long!

Way back in mid-October, DS got COVID at school. He and a girl who sits by him both got sick on the same day, so we assume they got it from someone else at their table (who must have been asymptomatic or had really mild symptoms). DS had a scary fever for about 24 hours (102.5 degrees) and it would not budge with Tylenol.

After that 24 hours, he was fine!

Three days later, DD tested positive and that night, so did I. We have quick-result at-home tests and a reader, given to DH by his employer. That has been very comforting when we didn't have it, and then informative when we did.

We were both sick for about 5 days, feeling like the flu. We were achey, felt nauseated, had exhaustion, etc... I had the famous dry cough.

One week after DS got sick, DH did. He had stayed away from us, but we were all in the house together and he didn't wear a mask at all. I just went all-in and took care of the kids. They were scared and felt terrible and I couldn't imagine making them be alone in the basement or something!

DH, DD, and I all lost our sense of smell. It's almost a month later and we still have limited sense of smell!

We feel super lucky to have made it through without any breathing problems or other serious symptoms. DH and I already got our booster shots. The kids will get their first dose of vaccine tomorrow.

I haven't done much exercise other than my PT and walking. I lost hip strength during my sick time, which was super disappointing! Before I got sick, the PT exercises had become too easy, but after COVID they were really hard again. It happened so fast!

I am trying to get into the exercise habit (as usual! ). I know I will have to keep up the hip work forever to keep my knees strong. I have a PT appointment on Thursday and I feel like I don't need any more. I think I can transition to doing regular strength workouts now and just make sure I do my hip work at least twice a week. We'll see what the PT says!

Pratima, are you feeling better after your surgery? I hope so!

Stephanie, it's so exciting that you have your own business!
TonyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-21, 11:04 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

TonyaK, glad you posted! I'm kind of surprised you and DH got sick since you were vaccinated a while ago, right? Although the J&J (I think that's what you got) is supposedly somewhat less effective, so maybe that's why? I lost my sense of smell and taste for a solid month too. It gradually came back and I hope yours does the same. Are the kids back at school?

My DS is getting his first shot Friday. DD is fully vaccinated now. DH is trying to get his booster. I saw somewhere that with the J&J shot, you can get the booster just two months later, whereas with the others I believe it's 6, so he's more than due.

So, I was supposed to have a hernia repaired. I'd gone to the surgeon because I thought I had a hernia in my lower right abdomen. A CT supposedly showed a small one at my belly button. She said she'd fix that and look around. Apparently she saw no hernias and an inflamed appendix! DH says that when people come to the hospital where he works with that, they treat it with IV antibiotics. Of course, she was already in there, so maybe it made sense to remove it? But I don't know and my follow-up isn't until Dec. 1 because they're booked until then. I'm going to call today and leave a message for her assistant asking about the change in procedure.

It's been kind of a tough recovery! I had Thursday off and took Friday. I have an incision at my belly button and another on my lower right abdomen near the bikini line, right above my c-section scar. I can't bend over, can't really use my core, and it seems like everything rubs up against me!

DH has been driving the kids to school, thank goodness, because I can't get up early even if I go to bed early. And when I had to pick them up Monday, every bump, turn, etc. made me more sore. Today is the first day I finally feel better. I have been working all week though.

Friday DH is heading to CO. His dad has been in the hospital for over a week now with pneumonia and a fractured wrist. My MIL wants him in assisted living but he has to get a COVID shot first. Hopefully she can get that done in the next couple of days.

I feel like I'll never be able to work out again! I keep reminding myself I recovered from three c-sections, a lumpectomy and 6 weeks of radiation and this isn't as bad!

Hi to Stephanie and mbramer! Hope you both are well.

Old 11-23-21, 09:22 AM  
TonyaK

Hello! I did a Cathe workout on Monday. It was PHA from Strong and Sweaty. It was about 45 minutes, plus abs. I did all of the reps in the main workout, but used light weights. I could not even begin to keep up with the abs work!

I was super sore and tight yesterday, and am only somewhat sore and tight today. It will be interesting to see how long it takes me to feel like I have my normal strength back. I wrapped up physical therapy last week. I'm so relieved to have only my normal occasional knee pain!

Pratima, are you feeling better today? Did you hear back from the doctor's office yet? I would guess that she took out your appendix since it was already causing pain and she was already in there (was it the cause of your pain?). It would be nice to hear what she says!

Yes, DH and I had gotten J&J and it was almost exactly six months before we got sick. I'll never know the answers, but I wonder if we would have gotten sick at all if we'd had Moderna or Pfizer, or if it had only been five months since getting vaccinated, how sick we might have been without any vaccine, etc...

I'm sorry to hear about your DH's dad. How scary! I hope he has been able to get his vaccine so he can get to assisted living. Gosh, you are both dealing with ailing/declining fathers at the same time - it's so stressful and sad. ((hugs))

I know you'll be back to working out soon! You are so consistent, I don't think anything could stop you for long!!
Old 11-27-21, 11:23 AM  
TonyaK

Hi friends!

On Tuesday we went to Colorado Springs for a mini vacation. We went to the zoo, which is pretty fun. DD and I fed lettuce to the giraffes. We also fed chickens, goats, and budgies. We got a lot of steps going up and down the mountain-side.

Then we surprised the kids by staying at Great Wolf Lodge. They spent hours in the wave pool and a little time doing other stuff. We are taking advantage of our presumed super immunity while we have it!

Yesterday I did the floorwork from Cathe's Gym Style Legs. I did not do all of the reps but I worked hard. At one point, my hamstring cramped up and I thought it would hurt today, but it doesn't yet!

We had a good Thanksgiving at home. We always have steak with Thanksgiving sides and desserts. Did anyone here travel this year? I hope you are all having a nice weekend!

Several of DH's relatives have covid, after their family hunting trip last week. One person was obviously sick during the trip, and everyone who rode in the truck with him for hours is now sick. DH kept his distance from that one, assuming it could be covid. I hope they all have mild cases. One guy's results said he has two different strains of it (I haven't ever gotten such specific results! Very interesting.) Another guy's wife left him at home to isolate, went to her family Thanksgiving with her elderly parents and aunt, and now is sick, too. I wonder how far it is spreading from that hunting trip. Maybe I should have been an epidemiologist - this is fascinating to me!
Old 11-27-21, 12:27 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Hi all! I tried to post a few days ago and kept getting an error message.

TonyaK, we've been doing the same. I guess being super immune makes us a little more willing to be out there. Especially now that DS has had his first shot. Was DH on that hunting trip? I still haven't checked out Great Wolf Lodge here. Might be good this summer when we need something to do!

We were here on Thanksgiving. For many years we'd end up at someone's house celebrating it with them, mostly recently with neighbors. All of those people have moved away now so the past few years it's been just us. DS was sad at first but it seems this year we all enjoyed being able to do our own thing. DH makes ham and I've been experimenting with variations on traditional-ish things. DS took complete charge of the deviled eggs, and both kids helped a lot since I'm still not completely recovered from surgery.

On that note, I've been walking almost every day with DS, and he did some short weight workouts with me on Peloton. Today for the first time I did a 30 minute iFit weight workout. I think I'm going to work my way through one of my XTrainFit sets the next week or two. I've lost some strength and my stomach still gets sore, so I have to work up slowly. I don't think the incisions have dissolved yet and I suppose there's some bruising or whatever around them.

I thought I'd have to work yesterday since it's not a federal holiday but apparently Coast Guard HQ shut down so I got the day off! DH sadly had to work. He was on call and then the person who was supposed to work tested positive for COVID. He won't get vaccinated so they test him weekly. Apparently he's asymptomatic so DH is extra-irritated. He has to work a couple of hours again this evening to cover that guy's shift.

DH's dad is in an assisted living facility for now. He's been able to talk to him, though sometimes he drifts into speaking Cantonese and DH can't even understand it. He may end up going home, though I think my MIL really needs to get someone to help out. I think she was just fed up and wanted him in a nursing home and now wants him back. Hopefully she'll be realistic about what she can do and willing to get help.

I see more trips to CO and GA in our future, possibly CO before the end of the year even. I'm still hoping my brother comes out for Christmas! He was talking about going to Atlanta again but I told him we've both spent plenty of time out there and shouldn't feel like we should go just because my dad is bored.

Old 11-27-21, 12:55 PM  
TonyaK

Pratima, I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving! How great that DS likes to cook so much. I wish my kids had more interest in it. DD loves to eat pancakes, so I've taught her how to make them and she is good at it. I am in the kitchen with her, but she does a lot of it herself.

Yes, DH was on that camping trip. He had his own truck, so he was never in the vehicle with the sick guy. That guy felt so terrible, he slept in the truck all day, through lunch, through bumping around in fields, hearing shotguns going off, plus all the talking. It seems so dumb to hang out with him, no matter what illness he had! His dad was the driver, so I guess he had to be with him, but a few other people got in there with him by choice, knowing he was feeling super sick.

I'm glad your FIL is in a care facility. It sounds like he needs a lot of help right now, and your MIL shouldn't feel like she has to take that on. Do you think she would let a nurse come to the house to help, if she moved him home?

I hope it will work out for your brother to visit you for Christmas. It is so hard to deal with guilt and worry from parents (or just from ourselves).

Glad you can move some! Please go gently so you can heal