Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-06-21, 06:22 PM  
Helen

Oh dear, I’m getting waves.
Yes, I’ve not been around.
Last week’s work hours: 55, and that doesn’t include the time I will work today (Sunday), so it’ll be pushing 60.

LILI
Your “Why would you go to 10-inch Step? Sound like torture.”
Is my “Why would you do a running race? Lots of hard work to prepare for an unpleasant experience.”

CLEDA
I used the link, and I could have done the ride. The timers worked, the bleep went off 3 sec prior to next interval... but alas no voice or music. But it was there. What does “spin-up” mean?

Friday night, Cait gave US the surprise visit, but only overnight. Had just an hour overlap with both of them here (Bridget up for a party and straight back to Sydney today, which is Sunday.
DID take Alice for a long walk with Cait yesterday.

Have mulched the yard now, so no more muddy footprints in the house, and next weekend shall see the beginnings of replanting/replacing. Not this weekend, as we JUST got the mulching done before rain arrived, to avoid more MUD in the house in that distinctive shape.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-21, 07:12 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
LILI
Your “Why would you go to 10-inch Step? Sound like torture.”
Is my “Why would you do a running race? Lots of hard work to prepare for an unpleasant experience.”

CLEDA
I used the link, and I could have done the ride. The timers worked, the bleep went off 3 sec prior to next interval... but alas no voice or music. But it was there. What does “spin-up” mean?
Oh this made me giggle!!!! Yep ... we all enjoy different things, which is what the makes the world go round!!! Most people would consider sitting on a bike for hours and hours boring, but yet?? I enjoy it. Helen likes her high step and Lili likes to train for races. So there we have it!!!

Yep - I forgot they are actual "timers". When I turn it on with the ride, on screen with the Peloton instructor, that's the intervals the timers do along with the ride. The music/voice, coaching is the Peloton ride. A spin up is an evil little thing to get your mind/body connection to the legs. It takes your rpms up to 110-120 cadence for "xx" amount of time. To spin the legs, get warmed up and just really obnoxiusness. Every workout seems to have them. Whether they call them spin ups or not. I used to hate them, but they come with the territory and the more I practice, the better I become at them. Truth be told tho? My comfortable cadence is in the 70s. Which is better than it used to be (in the 60s).

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-21, 07:18 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

And here's the workout

While I'm here. i'll check in before getting my day started:

11/6/2021: Rowed 30 minutes with Mac and Nick. (I enjoyed this one) followed by a 60 mins. Power Zone Endurance ride with Denis (Week #3 is done!), 30 mins. Spotify ride with a new instructor. The ride was in Spanish. But I knew the countdown and they show the cadence and resistance on screen, so I could follow along. Got a pretty badge too. So all was not lost. I think I forgot to do a post ride stretch. OOOps. Got side tracked.

Denis warned that this upcoming week for the Program will be the toughest yet. Oh boy! can't wait (said slightly sarcastically). Looking to the other side? I'll be glad when it's done and know I'm better for it. ONWARD.

Make it a great day. Lots of chores to do before hitting the bike at noon for Sundays with Love.

I did get 4 rows in last week. My "sort of" goal for rowing. I feel good when I do 4x a week. For me? There's something zen like about rowing. It really seems to calm me down. I do think it's the repetitive motion and the earbuds, but who knows. I just need to remember that feeling and hop on and do it.

Cleda
Old 11-07-21, 09:42 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Helen - I laughed at your comment, too! We all like different things, that's for sure!
Cleda - My biggest problem with the spin ups is that they always seem to do them during the warm up? What is up with that? I'm not ready in the warm up, I'm busy warming up!

11/6 - We moved and stacked a cord of firewood with our neighbor. Today we get to do it again with our pile of wood. I am hoping to get some kind of workout in as well, but we'll see.

I did sign up for the race. There was a discount for 2 days, which enticed me to commit. It will keep me motivated as the weather turns colder and I have less desire to do outdoor activities. I am also hoping to spin more to help with the training without bothering my knees. My feeling right now is, if I back out at the last minute, I haven't lost that much. And since it is just a little over a mile from our house, I can make a last minute decision that day. I do tend to stress about races for 24 hours leading up to the race, so I want to avoid that.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-21, 04:46 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Monday Check in (for Sunday)

Lili: I suppose I've been doing the Power Zone rides so long, that I'm used to the spin ups in the warm up (and don't care for them later in the workout. Who am I kidding? I don't care for them in the beginning either! lol ). I associate them with the warm up. I like to think of what Ally Love says: 110-120 (or your best!). Some days? I can get there, others? Nope. No how no way. It's really just to wake the legs up and make the mind/body connection. Luckily they are not looking for a sprint, but rather to just get things moving !!! that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Many times I go into the rides with a row or a warm up ride so I'm ok.

Waves to Helen!

Time change happened, so of course I was awake at 3 a.m. (and 2 a.m. but that's besides the point!) I have lots to do before work this morning, so I figured at 3:45 a.m. might as well get up and get busy.

On to me, me and all me:

11/7/2021: Rowed 20 mins. sweat with Laine & Nick, 30 minutes Sundays With Love (can't remember the message now - but it was a good one!) 10 minutes cool down Ride with Bradley and a 5 mins. Post Ride Stretch with Bradley. 5 mins. Ed sheerhan core with Ben Aldis and then 2+ hours of pickleball at a local court with a new group! I had a blast btw.

That's it. Gotta run. Still lots to do and time's a wastin'!
Make it a great day.
Cleda
Old 11-08-21, 10:13 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Cleda - I usually do some kind of shorter workout before a ride as a warm up, too. That way I'm really ready. I dread the time change!!! I was up way too early, as well. There's no getting around it, unless we move to Arizona. I think that's the only state that doesn't do it.

11/7 - We moved another cord of wood and stacked it in our yard. The neighbors helped, so it went quicker than just the 2 of us, but it's still quite a job! I was channeling my inner Kay!
There was a dog walk later to stretch the kinks out, but no real workout.

I wanted to sign up for a Basics of Pickleball class with the city, but it was full! We could probably pick it up from just playing, but I don't want to buy the stuff until I know we would actually do it.

Old 11-09-21, 06:08 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Time change

Lili: Arizona and Hawaii ... those are the 2 states that do not do the time change. (thank you google!) I am adjusting to the time change. It is just part of the year. (That's how I choose to look at it.) BUT ... I am tired this week - and probably due to the time change. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Pickleball: Kay has played and talked about it for years. I had an old boss who played for a long time. My co worker wanted to learn to play, knows I work out and said I might be interested and what did I think??? so we started. I think for $40 I got a set (2 paddles & some balls) off of Amazon. Then we started playing, practicing. I began watching LOTS of You Tube videos for form, technique and rules. Then we decided to do a beginner clinic to make sure we were doing it right, hooked up with a league down by her and then it branched out from there. Found a group up here (nearer to me) that is more my liking and we'll see how it goes for the winter. Some indoor options, although I do not want to drop a lot of $$ to play. (at least not at this time). I have a blast and it really is fun. But requires a minimum of 2 preferably 4 people to play! Gets lots of steps in too! Oh and then came the "tennis shoes" for stability, etc, etc. . . .

This morning I was googling an athletic facility that has a woman's group on Fri. mornings for $10 for 2 hours of play. I may go and see what that's like (at least for the winter and rainy days).

Waves to Helen!

On to me, me and all me:

11/8/2021: Power Zone Max ride with Olivia** 45 mins. (zones 5, 6 & 7 with recovery in zone 1). BRUTAL tough workout. I was on the struggle bus for sure. Finished with a 10 mins. Bradley Rose cool down ride & Post ride stretch, 10 mins. of abs with Adrian. PM: Met NanC on the bike for a Kendall Disney Ride 30 mins.

The Disney Ride made me feel pretty old. She was talking about her introduction to the songs from Disney movies. LOL ... many I had never heard. Of most of the movies she spoke of, I think I knew or had watched MAYBE 2 of them?!? What the heck? I knew more of Bradley Rose's Disney songs (as they were the VCR movies my kids grew up with!)

OH and did I mention - I don't know what I was thinking??? An evening workout, after my long day at work on the day after the time change having done the PZ Max ride in the morning?!? good grief!!!

** Olivia drives me crazy. She has these AWFUL cadences ... of 100-110 in zone 6?!? are you kidding me? No thank you. I swear she wasn't even sweating AND she was talking her way through these zones. As my face turned purple and I was dieing on the bike. Entirely too perky for me. But she was Week 4 ride 1. I have two more tough rides, then next week is a recovery week before doing the FTP test (should I decide to do it.) I'm kinda happy where my fitness is right now. No urge to really push to get better??? Ha! Take that. . .

Ok, gotta run. My rower is calling me and then off to work.
Make it a great day.
Cleda
Old 11-10-21, 02:27 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

11/8 - Run day, I ran the course for the race I signed up for, plus a little more for 3.35 miles. Beautiful day and I really enjoyed the experience. I shouldn't embarrass myself at the race!
11/9 - dog walk
KCM's Your Best Body, w/o with cardio bursts
Bellicon's Cardio Crush

Old 11-11-21, 05:15 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiliMagill View Post
11/8 - Run day, I ran the course for the race I signed up for, plus a little more for 3.35 miles. Beautiful day and I really enjoyed the experience. I shouldn't embarrass myself at the race!
Lili: I canNOT imagine you embarrassing yourself no matter what on that course! You're out there! You're doing it! You definitely have this.

quick check in:

11/9/2021: 30 mins. confidence row with Sera Moon, 10 mins. Core, 10 mins. Upper body with Hannah corbin (supposed to be with bands. After one round with bands, I went to free weights)

11/10/2021: 45 mins. Power Zone ride
with Matt, 5 mins. Grateful Dead cool down ride with Denis, 5 mins. stretch

Not sure what's on the docket for today. But will do something before work.

Make it a great day.
Cleda
Old 11-11-21, 10:15 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Cleda - thank you for your vote of confidence! I just always stress about races, but they are good incentive for me to keep pushing. For you it's badges!

11/10 - dog walk
Spice Girls Power Walk w/ Gina B.
30 Min. PZ Endurance ride with Ben Alldis
5 Min. Post Ride Stretch w/ Ally
11/12 - Jessica's Metabolic Conditioning
leaf raking, with more to follow.

I'm trying to work out in the mornings again. I got a late start this morning, but I got my workout in, so I'm happy. Knowing we would be doing some serious leaf raking today ahead of the rain tomorrow, I didn't add any cardio.

Waves to Helen!