Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-24-21, 11:07 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
I did a refresh in our living room by using the stuff we have. I moved our small Christmas decorations up to the front of the closet. I stopped at a yard sale and saw some wine glasses marked $60 . I did buy a mug for a family member. I looked at stuff 2 and 3 times figuring if I NEEDED it. Nope not a thing.
Good work!!

This past week I cleaned out the freezer in a major way. Since my father passed away some years ago I've been struggling to figure out how to cook for one, and even to remember my own food preferences. I'm learning, even if it is kind of a slow process, and now I have room in the freezer for my ice cream maker insert. Already made a batch of coffee ice cream, and am plotting more. Whee!

I'm making an effort to prepare just enough food for one, and keep my favorites in the freezer for quick meals. Learning how my cooking abilities, my food preferences, and my ability to keep track of things can coalesce into a system I can sustain.

Today's success involved making a big batch of lasagna sauce that I can freeze in portions just big enough for a few meals. Big enough to share, if company comes, not so huge I stop wanting to eat lasagna.

Still trying to decide how to make one portion batches of prepared pasta, sauce and cheese that I can just heat in the microwave. Haven't found a favorite method of that for now, but at least I can make smaller batches of skillet lasagna quickly now.

I love it when I can get all the bits arranged and avoid wasting food.
Old 10-25-21, 11:26 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Good work!!

This past week I cleaned out the freezer in a major way. Since my father passed away some years ago I've been struggling to figure out how to cook for one, and even to remember my own food preferences. I'm learning, even if it is kind of a slow process, and now I have room in the freezer for my ice cream maker insert. Already made a batch of coffee ice cream, and am plotting more. Whee!

I'm making an effort to prepare just enough food for one, and keep my favorites in the freezer for quick meals. Learning how my cooking abilities, my food preferences, and my ability to keep track of things can coalesce into a system I can sustain.

Today's success involved making a big batch of lasagna sauce that I can freeze in portions just big enough for a few meals. Big enough to share, if company comes, not so huge I stop wanting to eat lasagna.

Still trying to decide how to make one portion batches of prepared pasta, sauce and cheese that I can just heat in the microwave. Haven't found a favorite method of that for now, but at least I can make smaller batches of skillet lasagna quickly now.

I love it when I can get all the bits arranged and avoid wasting food.
Anna, ICE CREAM! Alllrriiiggghhhttt!!!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-21, 11:29 AM  
sherry7899

I got a new roof put on the end of last week. The company told me I can have the dumpster for a few extra days, so I spent all weekend purging stuff! I got rid of so much. It felt so good to clear out things. Apparently they cannot get the dumpster until tomorrow, so I am going to do another look through the house to see if I have anything else.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-21, 11:32 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I've been doing well with tossing and/or donating many items.

But, there are a few boxes of ancient memorabilia. (I know we all have them.) I braved opening one and found my old Girl Scout uniform, my First Communion dress and purse, and other things from my childhood. Also, items that had belonged to my late sister as a child. Lots of old family photos.

I had to step away from the box. Nobody will ever want any of it, but I just can't deal with that much emotion at the moment.

Do you guys have many boxes like that? What do you do?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-21, 12:20 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
... Do you guys have many boxes like that? What do you do?
Yes! Mostly I ignore them.

Need to get rid of this sense of inertia about it, though.

The only technique I have is to try to consider whether or not I'll ever truly need whatever is there. If it's some treasure from my past, does it serve as a reasonable memento? Downsizing is a major goal for me.
Old 10-25-21, 08:49 PM  
DCW

We have a few bins filled with photo albums. I am thinking a winter project is going through them and giving them to the people in the photos. Lots of relatives and their kids who are now adults. Christmas cards plus photos!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-21, 09:57 PM  
fanofladyvols

Alta mementos are very difficult to deal with. Sometimes it's all a part of timing on when you can be more equipped to handle. I think you did well walking away. There's something about letting it have some time to decide. I do know I recently purged a memento because I realized every time I looked at it...all it did was make me sad. I just don't need that ... especially nowadays.
There have been some items we have donated to museums because they had some value for familial collections. Pictures I gathered, sorted and boxed and offered to family. They held no value for my children but other relatives seemed happy to have a chance to look them over.

Sherry you have been BUSY! How wonderful to get so much done... congratulations!!

Anna you sound like you're well on your way with food planning! I still have problems adjusting to fewer humans and had to freeze half a pot of soup myself.

DCW I think that's a fantastic Christmas card idea!!

I'm going through my kid's old schoolwork and it's pretty hard to make quick progress. I actually have made myself purge through this before but these items are harder to decide to purge. I get all misty eyed and reminisce. I only made it through two drawers but it may take me at least year at my current pace

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-21, 08:32 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
... Anna you sound like you're well on your way with food planning! I still have problems adjusting to fewer humans and had to freeze half a pot of soup myself.

I'm learning that once I've eaten a few portions, it's best to freeze the rest before I forget and let it sit there too long. Also, I prefer to leave out ingredients that don't freeze well, adding them in fresh to a portion or two at a time as I thaw them out.

Another thing in general that's helped was learning about keeping some little containers of activated charcoal in the refrigerator to manage odors. I keep mine in some little mason jars with plastic shaker tops. They weren't much for storing herbs, but they work perfectly for this. I change out the charcoal (from the pet section, aquarium filter supplies) once a month or so.

It mostly helps keep me on track monitoring the contents of the fridge, which reduces waste and neglected food supplies.
Old 10-26-21, 04:16 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
But, there are a few boxes of ancient memorabilia. (I know we all have them.) I braved opening one and found my old Girl Scout uniform, my First Communion dress and purse, and other things from my childhood. Also, items that had belonged to my late sister as a child. Lots of old family photos.
vintage vfer - I have a few items that I didn't want to keep but wanted to remember whatever was significant about it. Taking pictures of those items seems to work for me. I was sent many items of my father's and haven't had the time or energy to work through it all - eventually.
eventmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-21, 07:16 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Alta - That's hard. I have a box like that. I moved it to Raleigh and I've avoided it ever since. I guess when I do deal with it that I'll need to decide what the criteria are for what to keep and what not to keep and apply those criteria to that box.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter