Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-21, 04:39 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

TonyaK, I feel like Lindsay has some really good stuff! Her workouts are definitely time-efficient so hopefully they'll work for you.

How was the first day of school?? Are your kids glad to be back in-person?

Yup, COVID cases are increasing here. The high school closest to me has a 1% infection rate, which is pretty high. And you know the kids eligible for the vaccine aren't getting it. I want to get it for DD now that it's been a few months since we were sick, but I feel like until DS can get it, we face the same limits as no one having it, you know?

I think I read something about FL's governor trying to restrict schools who require masks from getting funds, and something else about ours trying to do the same. I personally am waiting for the other shoe to drop, yet of course hoping it doesn't.

We were actually considering going to FL for fall break to see my cousin and Universal Studios, but now, no way.

It's been a rough week somehow. DS brought home a "red card" yesterday. It's basically letting parents know their kid is misbehaving in school. He's being disrespectful and while I think they're overreacting just a little, it does fit his usual back-to-school pattern. Today he's fussing about going to taekwondo even though I told him his new schedule would be every Monday and then alternating Wed. and Sat.

DD's schedule is exhausting. She seems to enjoy it but it feels like so much go go go to me! There's something going on at her gym--her coach left, another was hired, and then after a few weeks moved to coach a different group. Then there were several subs and another hired. She's been there about 2 weeks and seems to mostly stand around. She doesn't talk to the girls or give suggestions on form or anything. I emailed the head coach and so far no reply.

It's irritating! Part of me wishes they did nothing so I'd have less to do! Oh well.

I started using the Define and Align DVD set I got on Prime Day. I'm also sticking with my 3 runs per week even if they're short. So far the set seems like it will work well. Workouts are 30 minutes so easy to combine two or just fit one in if I'm short on time. It's billed as a barre set but the upper body workout was pretty much just traditional weight lifting and you could easily go really heavy or really light. I'm hoping to follow the calendar for at least a month (it goes for 90 days) and simplify that part of life!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-21, 10:27 AM  
TonyaK

Hello!

Pratima,
The first day of school went well. The kids had been nervous, and I still am, but it went well. They like their teachers and they each have people they like in their classes. Phew! I think they are very happy to be with so many other kids, and I think they will learn better at school than from home. DD would like an endless summer, but I think they're both glad to be back at school.

I believe I saw that FL's gov is threatening to withhold the paychecks of school board members and supervisors who mandate masks. Some of them are doing it anyway! This is such a weird thing for people to be fighting about. There is one mom from my kids' school who is petitioning that she doesn't want anyone to wear masks because her kids should be able to see other kids' smiles!!!

I hope DS will settle in and stop getting red cards! I hope DD's gym will get a good coach!
We have been slow and reluctant about signing the kids up for sports again. Part of it is for safety and part of it is that we're not used to having to run them around anymore. We registered DS for flag football. It starts in September. We're planning to have both kids play basketball in the winter. I think we can handle those. They'll be spread out

I've been doing yoga and stretching with Lindsay's app each day, plus a walk outside or with Lindsay. I hesitate to say it, but I think my knees are feeling better! I hope it continues. I've also been eating better and I've lost a few pounds. Now if I can just keep this up forever

I hope you like your new DVD set! I love the sound of 30 minutes.
TonyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-21, 07:33 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Hi Friends, yay for back to school! I'm so happy for you both! I can't wait for August 23rd! The day of my liberation is nigh!

Re: Masks, good grief. People are so ridiculous. I know they're not perfect, but they are what we've got. This pandemic stinks, but it would be much more pleasant if everyone would stop arguing.

So I went to see the weight loss doc on Friday. I had a body scan. I've gained back the muscle I had lost, and I've lost a total of seven pounds of fat. So that's something. I still have 13lbs. to achieve my goal, which I am obvs. not going to do before the 12 week program ends. The doc was trying to spin my progress as being so good and I'm just holding myself to a higher standard. That was annoying. He assured me my 20lb goal was realistic and achievable within 12 weeks, and that is obviously not the case. But whatever. I feel like I'll be lucky to lose half that before Sept. 8, which is the last day of the program. Oh well, I've done my best.

I'm doing a lot more exercise, though, which is fun. I do have less joint pain on this diet, so I can workout more. I've done some classic Firms this week, some yoga, a few other oldie dvds. I'm off to do the last day of the Travis Eliot 30 day yoga program I was doing earlier this summer. It took me way more than 30 consecutive days, but I am determined to finish, hahahaha!

Hope you are all doing well!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-21, 06:42 PM  
TonyaK

Hi friends!

As soon as I said my knees felt better, they started hurting really badly. I made an appointment to see my doctor next week and see what she thinks. Do I need an MRI or PT? Something else? I'm ready to admit that I need professional help. Also, if the kids are at school, it will seem a lot easier to go to multiple PT appts, if that is what I need.

Stephanie, it's great that you gained muscle! It's annoying that the fat loss is so slow!! Also, it's super annoying that the doctor won't admit that the plan didn't live up to its promises!!

My kids went to school for three days and DD got a bad cold. We tested her for covid, and the test was negative. She is pretty miserable, though. The kids hardly got sick for the last year and a half! We are expecting the school to start requiring masks soon, like next week. Other districts in the metro area are requiring them, and our Tri-County Health board is meeting about our district tomorrow. I will feel better if they wear them. I know it will be annoying for them, and possibly make it harder to make new friends. Ugh.
Old 08-18-21, 01:19 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Tonya, so sorry to hear about your knees! Have you seen the doc yet? I hope you're able to get it sorted out soon. Sorry to hear the kids are sick. I suppose they haven't been exposed to any germs in so long, it was bound to happen!

Our school district is requiring masks. DS1, who is fully vaccinated, is pissed. He says the only reason he got vaxed is so he wouldn't have to wear a mask. haha. I told him I don't care, he's going to school no matter what!

Yes, the whole situation with the weight loss program is a bummer. I'm on hold with my insurance company trying to see if I can at least get part of it covered. It would reduce the pain of the whole situation if I can at least not have to pay for the whole thing out of pocket. I'm just so weary of the whole weight situation. I guess part of me is feeling like if I have to work this hard for just a few measly pounds, my body just wants to be heavier. I've decided I'm going to relax the diet a little bit and then just continue it indefinitely and see what happens.

I also started bio-identical hormones last week. So far I don't feel much change, but I hope it helps with the osteopenia and some of the other genetic risk factors I have over time.

I haven't done much exercise this week. On Monday, I was stung by a bee. I'm actually allergic to stinging insects, but the sting wasn't really that bad. I didn't need my epi-pen, it sort of just pricked me on my knee through my jeans. It hurt a fair bit for a few minutes after, but then it went away. Now, two days later, it's a bit swollen and kind of hurts! Thankful it didn't really get the stinger in there! It's awfully humid this week, though, and very humid weather makes me feel sick. I feel nauseated and I have a constant sinus headache.

So that is pretty much it. I'm very much looking forward to some cooler, more pleasant weather! And BACK TO SCHOOL!

Hi, Pratima!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-21, 04:00 PM  
TonyaK

Hi friends! I went to my general practitioner on Monday and she had me get x-rays of my knees. Of course they didn't show anything - I'm sure the problem is with soft tissue. Now she is referring me to PT. I'm fine with that, but I kind of want an MRI to figure out what's actually wrong in there. Is something torn? Is it inflammation? Arthritis? If the PT doesn't seem to help, I will ask the doc for an MRI or referral to an osteo. I think I can start PT next week.

I haven't been doing much exercise. My knees are still pretty tender and I got DD's bad cold. So far their school reports 7 cases of covid. People are fighting against the mask mandate. The kids are happy to be around other kids and I am glad for them to go to school in person. I hope the school can stay open!

I hope all is well!
Old 09-08-21, 11:39 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Hi all! TonyaK, did you end up starting PT? I've had mixed results with PT vs. getting imaging. One time I did PT for my hip and it helped, then a few months later had this nagging hip/hamstring twinge that I could tell was different. MRI imaging showed a minor tear (can't remember where) and lump that was a collection of blood vessels. Neither called for anything, not even PT, but it was good to know what was going on. I guess sometimes it's at least good to know you're not making something worse!

According to our district dashboard, DS's school has had 9 confirmed COVID cases this year. DD's middle school has had 13. The high school she'll likely go to has had 52. It's sort of proportionate for the number of students at each though. DD did get her first shot Thursday so I feel better about her. Hoping it becomes available for under 12 soon.

Things here are pretty much the same--lots of kid activities, we're making regular use of our pool, and I've managed to get in some paddling on weekends. My job is so laid back compared to the old one. There's been a ton of turnover but I think everyone in my group now will stay a while and they all seem nice.

We are having some issues with my dad. He was in the hospital shortly after I returned from ATL. He's had multiple myeloma for many years and it was basically kept at bay with chemo pills. His calcium levels got high and he needed dialysis. My brother flew out and stayed a couple of weeks. They switched my dad to different meds and he did hire someone to drive him to doctor appointments and such. Now apparently the new meds are making him confused. My brother called Monday because my dad's friend called him, concerned about our dad. My brother wanted me to fly out and stay two weeks and I told him that was impossible, plus we can't just keep flying out. My dad needs some change in living situation--either to move or hire someone to come in.

So my brother is talking to him and I'm kind of on standby. I said I could fly out for maybe 5 days but not just to visit. I'd fly out to help set something up. Feeling a little bad that I don't feel more responsible, but my dad just refuses to listen to me so why keep trying to talk?

I can't remember if I mentioned it but I signed up for the Flagstaff Marathon 10K a while back. That's guiding my workouts these days. I'm back to running 3 days a week with the long run always on trail. The 10K is all trail and at altitude. I did the half marathon there in 2018 and it was TOUGH so I have no expectations for finish time, just want to not die!

I'm alternating runs with strength work from the Define and Align set I got on Prime Day. Each DVD is 30 minutes so I also fit in iFit or Peloton spin or iFit rowing or today some BodyCombat. I feel like I'm finally improving my fitness. Now if only I could drop a few pounds!

Hi to Stephanie! Drop in when you get a chance, and maybe mbramer too.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 09-08-21, 12:01 PM  
TonyaK

Hello!

Pratima, I went to PT yesterday and was very pleased that she thinks I will be better in 2-3 months. She said she thinks I gave myself Patellar Tendonitis and she rubbed on my knees, right below my kneecaps, until it stopped hurting. I think that was a huge cause of the pain. She also said that, like many people with knee pain, I have weak hip muscles. So I have homework exercises to strengthen my hips and I'll go in once a week. I'm so relieved to feel like there is a solution!

I'll be back to write more!
Old 09-08-21, 01:44 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

TonyaK, that's exactly what DD had! The PT did the same and also had her roll out her quads and IT band because they'd tighten up and pull on her knee. And despite all the exercise she gets, DD has weak hips too. Sounds like all this will help you!

Old 09-10-21, 05:07 PM  
TonyaK

Pratima, I will try rolling my quads and IT band, too. Thanks for telling me about DD!

My only exercise has been my PT, but I want to do an upper body workout tomorrow.

I am totally with you on knowing that you're not hurting yourself by continuing to move - it's a relief to have a pro's reassurance!

I'm so sorry about your dad's condition. It must be difficult to try to figure out how much to try to help him. It sounds like he is kind of stubborn, so it's probably really hard to convince him to change anything. I'm glad you have your brother to help with him!

It's great that you feel like you are improving your fitness! I hope I feel that way too, soon. Your saying you want to just not die at your race made me laugh! I hope you have a great 10K!