Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-06-10, 06:22 AM  
Jean@125

Abs/kegels

So confused!! All the talk about kegels causing more problems than they help and crunches being bad for the spine has me a bit anxious as to what I should be doing. How do we sort it all out?
Jean@125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 09:19 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I've heard about the abs controversy, but not the kegels one. I'd like to know more.
Old 11-06-10, 10:07 AM  
Jean@125

Jane,
Google "Down there for Women". I really think she is on to something I did not start having issues until I started doing high impact aerobics and pelvic tilts with Jane Fonda videos when I was in my late teens early 20's a few years before I even had my 2 children.
Jean@125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 10:49 AM  
Lissa

Is this who you are referring to: http://alignedandwell.com/ ?

Editing to add: http://www.alignedandwell.com/_produ...here_For_Women

Direct link for Down There for Women DVD with video clip.

~Lissa
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 06:16 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean@125 View Post
I did not start having issues until I started doing high impact aerobics and pelvic tilts with Jane Fonda videos
On that Oprah clip, Jane demo'd two exercises for the elderly. One showed her sitting straight up in a chair and then slumping and tilting her pelvis. I recall thinking that would wreck my back, which is why I never do them.
Old 11-06-10, 07:34 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean@125 View Post
Jane,
Google "Down there for Women". I really think she is on to something I did not start having issues until I started doing high impact aerobics and pelvic tilts with Jane Fonda videos when I was in my late teens early 20's a few years before I even had my 2 children.
This is interesting. Thank you for posting this.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-10, 07:23 AM  
horsemom2

OK now, I am more confused than ever. First heard yesterday that women with Osteopenia which is literally the majority of postmenopausal women should avoid spinal twists as well as forward Flexion. Now this expert (Aligned & Well) suggests spinal twists for digestion Personally, I usually avoid spinal twists because they triggered lower back/hip problems for me, even though they are recommended for the lower back.
Guess it all comes down to listening to your own body and it something doesn't feel right, don't do it.

Barb S
who only has one lumbar vertebra in the osteopenia category while the other vertebrae are ok to make it all more confusing
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-10, 08:20 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
OK now, I am more confused than ever. First heard yesterday that women with Osteopenia which is literally the majority of postmenopausal women should avoid spinal twists as well as forward Flexion. Now this expert (Aligned & Well) suggests spinal twists for digestion Personally, I usually avoid spinal twists because they triggered lower back/hip problems for me, even though they are recommended for the lower back.
Guess it all comes down to listening to your own body and it something doesn't feel right, don't do it.

Barb S
who only has one lumbar vertebra in the osteopenia category while the other vertebrae are ok to make it all more confusing
Dr. Loren Fishman, who wrote (with Ellen Saltonstall) Yoga and Osteoporosis would disagree about twists. Yes, forward bends can be dangerous, but twists can actually be beneficial. Fishman is currently conducting his second study re: the benefit of yoga on bone density. I'm a participant.

A few weeks ago I had a bone density class with Saltonstall. All of the women in the group were in osteopenia range, or had osteoporosis. We did twists.

Katy Bowman's blog (alignedandwell) is very interesting. You can subscribe to receive email notices of updates.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)

Last edited by SharonNYC; 11-07-10 at 08:22 AM. Reason: link
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-10, 09:35 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post
Dr. Loren Fishman, who wrote (with Ellen Saltonstall) Yoga and Osteoporosis would disagree about twists.
And Teresa Tapp has, for over decade, been encouraging twisting the spine daily.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-10, 09:41 AM  
shortie

I hate that there's uncertainty among experts about what's good and harmful for us. Tuck, don't tuck. Bend, don't bend. Twist, don't twist. AND DON'T LIFT ANYTHING OVER 3 POUNDS, FOR PETE'S SAKE!

I go with the philosophy that muscles that get used stay strong and supple. So, if I spend my life avoiding a move, then that muscle will atrophy and become more inflexible, and eventually crippling.
shortie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, kegels, spine, unsafe exercises