Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-06, 11:23 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Am I the only one that looks at that and thinks it's probably also sold on that site with the wedge thingy? Ya know, for extra support during intimate moments.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-06, 02:30 PM  
CardioQuake

Well this is interesting...I was channel surfing this morning and the Bean infomercial was on...the OLD informercial. I wonder if the new informercial didn't generate as many sales?

I still think the original infomercial is better than the Lisa Kay version. Maybe there were complaints about her weight loss photo (the post pregnancy one she used with the Firm) and all the "fat melting" claims?
CardioQuake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-06, 02:46 PM  
CharM

The new infomercial's finally being shown in my neck of the woods. I didn't pay much attention to the old one, but the new one is goofy, or did the old one also have them all yelling, "The Bean rocks!"? <--- did I do that right?
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-06, 03:02 PM  
carole r.

I don't think that the Bean is silly, just overpriced. After all, it's just a different shaped stability ball. I definitely would want to try it before I considered buying it. There's no such thing as spot reduction of fat. When will fitness products stop trying to push that myth?
Old 10-07-06, 03:19 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Question

I think I saw a pic of the Bean in some catalog, but don't recall which. It does look like a lounge chair.

Kathryn, that crunch you were explaining to Mary (Zaprascal) sounds like something you could also do on a stability ball, right? Or is this a really different animal? I don't really need to add to the crowd of toys here!
Old 10-07-06, 03:33 PM  
antbuko

I bought the bean at Dicks Sporting Goods. It's not a must have gadget but I like it alot. It's a good fitness prop. Possibly an alternative for someone who has a really hard time using a stability ball.

Lydia, that crunch that Kathryn described can indeed be done on a stability ball but it's much harder. It's the type of crunches that Susan Harris has you do in Finding Your Core and I think Tracie also does them in EFM.
Old 10-07-06, 07:05 PM  
Suzette
VF Supporter

Wow, I never would have guessed that that was Lisa Kay if I hadn't read this thread.

It looks good to me. .. the only I don't like is that they act like stability balls are so dangerous, people all over the world are falling off theirs. .etc.

At one point a woman says something to the effect of "this is so much better than a stability ball. All I have to worry about is crunching, not keeping my balance".

I thought the whole point of using a stability ball was to work the core by keeping your balance.
Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-06, 09:30 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I finally found The Bean infomercial this morning. It looks kinda cool. Lisa looks good, although the blondish/graying haircolor makes her look a bit older I think. Just a comment - not a negative!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 01:55 PM  
Sollamyn

Thumbs up Got a Bean at Walmart

To my amazement, I found The Bean at my local Walmart (which typically doesn't carry many newer fitness items). I'd been eyeing the infomercials, specifically when they talked about easing lower back pain (plus ab strengtheners also help with that) so I got it. I haven't used it a whole lot, yet, but from the workouts I've done (the back stretching and strengtheners and relaxation) I think it's going to work for me. Plus, some of the stretches are really yoga poses (pigeon and child's pose, for example) that I love to do, but because of my injured knee, I can't always take the pressure of these poses on the floor. However, doing them on the Bean takes the pressure off my knee, so I can do them with comfort now.

So, yeah, I could've lived quite well without ever having The Bean, but to me it's worth it ($48.88 at Walmart)--and I haven't even done all the workouts so far. It seems to be pretty versatile, and it's not as stable as it looks on TV. Some balance is required in some of the exercises/poses.

JMO,
S.
Sollamyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 02:57 PM  
belle411

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO
Am I the only one that looks at that and thinks it's probably also sold on that site with the wedge thingy? Ya know, for extra support during intimate moments.
Okay, I'm at lunch now, and reading this post specifically almost made me spit up laughing! And I didn't know Lisa had left the Firm! Wow, so many of the original instructors I loved back in the 90s are gone.

And I think the Bean looks like it could be a good fitness tool, except I have visions of my 2 oldest kids trying to rock the baby in it! LOL

Tags
firm instructors, lisa kay, sara ivanhoe