Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-06, 02:55 AM  
mrs lightyear

Quote:
There is an add-on game in a parking lot.
that bit is hilarious!!!!
mrs lightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 09:11 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I wrote that unfavorable review of Ultimate Video Workout, hoping to warn people away because I felt so ripped off. I got started with her Fat Burning Workout and Instant Workout, and Ultimate had a new cover and was being sold along with her newer videos, so I was really disappointed at how old and bad it was. That was my first experience, pre-VF, with "don't judge a video by its cover"!

The stretch segment of Instant Workout makes it worth the 8 bucks, I guess. And that parking lot bit always livens up VF parties

ETA: Oops, looks like I got the DVDs mixed up! Weight Loss Workout can be fun, if you like air guitar

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 09:51 AM  
slimandfit

Can you please describe the cardio in Ultimate Video? I happen to enjoy Weight Loss Workout despite the 80's look because it's very effective (I lost weight using only this video in the early 90s when I was a teen). My fave was the 50s segment because it's fun but rather hi-impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B
I wrote that unfavorable review of Ultimate Video Workout, hoping to warn people away because I felt so ripped off.
slimandfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 01:47 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundari
Kathy's "Classics" is supposed to come to retail on Aug 15th. Why aren't there clips of this on Collage?
not sure why that is. despite doing everything else correctly with these re-releases (affordability, chaptering, marketing), Goldhil is so mum with details.

i found the answer to my question about Fat Burning Classics - total run time is 225.

here's my real question - why is Winning Workout really long (105 min)? is it really a 12-week rotation? does anyone recall how she allocates the segments into a rotation?

the other 2 workouts run times are:
Body Basics 60
Fat Burning Workout 60

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 02:34 PM  
sundari

Thanks Bzar. Great information on the time.

I believe "Winning Workout" is a 4 week weight training workout. Where it gets progressively more advanced.

If anyone else has more info please let us know.
Old 08-09-06, 04:35 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundari
Thanks Bzar. Great information on the time.

I believe "Winning Workout" is a 4 week weight training workout. Where it gets progressively more advanced.

If anyone else has more info please let us know.
Winning Workout has a 23 or so minute aerobics routine (not counting warmup & cooldown), then there are 3 (I think it's only 3) different weight workouts. There are different them type aerobics sections, & the last aerobic section is a 50's style led by Kathy & all her fellow exercisers, almost exactly like the ending 50's segment in Weight Loss Workout. You do the first weight workout for so many weeks, then progress to the next one, then the next. I cannot describe the workouts in detail, but as I remember all 3 weight workouts are good weight workouts, & you can go heavy with the weights. I will try to watch some of my tape either today or tomorrow & will give some more details if I can manage it.

I love Ultimate Stomach & Thighs, the exercises haven't lost their effectiveness in all the years I've been doing that workout, so I will definitely get the Strong, Sleek, & Slim dvd. I am also going to get Fat Burning Classics, just for the Fat burning Workout. I haven't made up my mind about Shed the Pounds. I already have Weight Loss on dvd, & I know I did really like the stretch on Instant Workout, but I don't know if I need the whole dvd just for that.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 09:20 AM  
sundari

Thank you Jennifer for the extra info on this workout.
Old 08-12-06, 02:11 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Here's some more info. on Winning Workout

I viewed Winning Workout, & I have some more info. on it:

The aerobics are divided into 4 different themed sections: "The March," "The Caribbean," "The Fifties," & "The Swing." The choreography is moderate, even "The March" is not just marching, but it's all very easy to learn. I think the aerobics are interesting enough for me to do in 2006, even though this workout was made in 1987. It's definitely not Leslie Sansone stuff. It's similar to Weight Loss Workout.

There are 3 different weight sections, you are supposed to do each section for 4 weeks, adding reps each week, then move to the next section & increase your weights. I actually have the description of this workout from a Collage catalog--it says the weight sections are 20 min. each.

Each weight section has one set for each of the different exercises. The exercises are all basic: seated leg extesions, squats, calf raises, lunges, hamstring curls with ankle weights, side lunges, standing side leg lifts, back extensions, one arm row, push ups, chest flys, french presses, kickbacks, & so on. There is one exercise called "toe touches" which is sort of like deadlifts except they have one weight in their hands & they roll down, then roll back up. Is that considered safe to do these days? Each weight section has the same abs & stretch segment at the end. During the abs section, Kathy says, "you rushed into it," & i's just something you wouldn't like to hear over & over...

The music for the weight sections is really generic, I had a hard time watching these until I turned the volume down. Hopefully, it won't be as noticeable when doing the workouts. As for if I'd ever do these weight workouts with the selection available today, probably not. But, I do like the aerobics (as a light day, short workout.) This workout looks dated also--I can't figure out why, maybe because they have leotards on. Hope this helps.

Old 08-13-06, 01:11 PM  
sundari

They moved the release date of Kathy's Classics Fat Burning Workout to Aug. 21st now.

Can anyone who is familiar with all of these workouts suggest which is the better DVD to get?

Comparing to which has better cardio, and not as dated, and where she is not yelling like in LWTLW 1.

She has a very nice demeanor in Project:You. I found she cued well and there was no need to yell and be hyper.

Kath's Classics "Fat Burning Workout"

OR

Kathy's "Super Slimdown Circuit"
Old 08-13-06, 04:10 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Kathy Smith's Classics Fat Burning is going to be dated. I love the Fat Burning Workout, but it will look dated to someone who's never seen or worked out to it for all these years. I suggest you get the Super Slimdown Circuit dvd. That dvd has more recent workouts: Secrets of a Great Upper & Lower Body (2 very good, thorough weight workouts that you can go heavy on) & Peak Fat Burning (an intermediate interval workout.) Also, Kathy isn't yelling or overly enthusiastic in any of these workouts.

Tags
kathy smith, kathy smith compilations, kathy smith tone up, shed the pounds, winning workout