Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-03, 02:16 PM  
caragoub
VF Supporter

Collection Evolution (who'd have thought?)

I think it's really interesting to see what I'm willing to give up and trade these days, compared to when I started doing videos 5 years ago. I'm *finally* saying good-bye to those old Firms that I really never do anymore.

I never in a million years thought I could trade Firm Strength (thank you Laura!) or consider trading Better Body and Buns...but, hey, I've *evolved*. And it's kind of a strange feeling! Those "magical" tapes (which for me were Firms) are now not part of my routine. I mean, as vidiots, you know what I mean, the loving glances at your cherished tapes sitting prettily in their places...now it's kind of like when you outgrow a teddy bear or something. I'm ditching what I once cherished :rolleyes:

Can anyone relate? It's kind of like, video/DVD adolescence...(when it's time to change...) Yes think Brady Bunch.

Cara
Old 08-31-03, 02:40 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Cara,

I've defined which Firms I will use (mainly the ones from the cross trainer era (as you know)) and am sticking to those. Pluse, I just added Cathe to my wish list. I tried MIS from the library and found I liked it. So, I'm edging my way into Cathe workouts. Never thought that would happen...

Laura
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-03, 09:37 PM  
archiegirl

I can definitely relate. I started Firming seven years and about three years ago, I fell into a routine of getting bored with my Firms, getting rid of them, missing them, reacquiring them, etc... A few months ago, I decided enough was enough and I got rid of my firms for good. I then tried SS. While I liked the workouts themselves, I REALLY missed the great music in the Firms and in my Fitprime tapes, so SS left too. I am now on a quest for (preferably) high rep, low weight workouts with good music (Margaret Richards?).
archiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-03, 11:29 PM  
girlwcurl

I feel the same about my Tae Bo workouts. There once was a time when I couldn't get enough of them. Now I look upon them wistfully, remembering the good ol' days but yet the burning desire is just no longer there. I guess a year solid of doing them kind of burnt me out plus I have since learned that there are a lot better workouts out there...
girlwcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-03, 01:05 AM  
Celia M

Know what you mean

I think it's just the evolution of videos... what was cutting edge a few years ago is mundane now. I've gotten rid of most of my old Cathe step tapes because there are so many more fun step tapes I like better. I've gotten rid of many of my FIRMs because there are so many more choices in strength now, and I don't have to put up with non-existent cueing and strange poses (think "flash!") at the end of a sequence.

So just imagine how great the tapes are going to be when, someday, they make the tapes that I love now seem dated and dull. Something to look forward to!
Old 09-01-03, 07:00 AM  
Felicia

I don't know

I used to do the original Step Reebok 4-5 times a week when it was one of the 8 videos I owned. It got moved to a back closet a few years ago when I started doing more advanced tapes. I finally traded it last week and made the mistake of doing it one more time - on my BOSU. Now I want it back! Sure the moves are super basic, but I love the live band, and seeing the background exercisers mysteriously show up in different spots in the class.

I'll keep trading workouts that I don't love, but tapes I love (or once loved), I'm keeping even if I only do them once every 5 years.

"If your DH isn't complaining, you don't have enough videos" - SteveW
Felicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-03, 07:52 AM  
Maryan, Paris
VF Supporter

Ditto, Felicia

I only trade videos that I absolutely can't do because I hate the wo, the instructor, & so on. I don't tire easily of videos I love (the first videos I did regularly were the Jane Fonda Personal Trainer Series and I still love them. They're like a pair of old shoes that fit just right !).
Maryan, Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-03, 07:58 AM  
horsemom2

Colleen

Quote:
Originally posted by girlwcurl
I feel the same about my Tae Bo workouts. There once was a time when I couldn't get enough of them. Now I look upon them wistfully, remembering the good ol' days but yet the burning desire is just no longer there. I guess a year solid of doing them kind of burnt me out plus I have since learned that there are a lot better workouts out there...
I feel the same way but I'll keep some of them for the few days a month that I still feel an urge to do one on the rebounder.
I never ever thought I'd ever trade away a pricey TaeBo Live series video but I have and probably will again cuz I have so many TaeBo workouts especially from the few short months of TaeBo TV.

Barb S
who has received many trades that I haven't loved and am looking to trade in the quest for one that I may love
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-03, 08:06 AM  
peggy h
VF Supporter

While I've traded/sold some tapes I thought I would never part with (until I hit past 300 tapes and decided to pare down!) there are still some older stuff I definitely feel too sentimental about to part with. And strangely enough, much like a number of people in this thread, a lot of these are Firm tapes. Will I ever do any of the Classics again? Maybe # 2 (my very first Firm and/or strength tape ever!), maybe #4 or 6---but almost certainly not #s 1, 3 or 5. However, I still can't make myself separate the "Classic family". I think of that time in my life---several months--when I used to do those 6 tapes in rotation Mondays to Saturdays, every week.....! Nope, can't do it. Maybe one day, but that day is not here yet!
Old 09-01-03, 01:24 PM  
Charlene
VF Supporter

timely

Just this spring I finally sold the bulk of the dross out of my collection . Sometimes it's tough (parting is such sweet sorrow!) but it's a relief to acknowledge that I'm not the kind of person who ENJOYS Strength, Balance, Flexibility - why keep it?

Charlene

"“Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again , come , come.”

Rumi.

Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.
Rumi
Charlene is offline   Reply With Quote