Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-22, 11:40 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
I've recently acquired the latest two books in the Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths, but haven't started them yet. I'm finishing up an older Anne Tyler called Ladder of Years.

Question: Does anyone have any recommendations for...I think they are called time-slip novels? I'm asking for the friend, as I am not a big fan of that genre. I do know that she really loves Barbara Erskine novels and she has read all the Erskine novels that she can find. She has read them all several times, in fact.

Thanks in advance if you can make any suggestions similar to, but other than, Barbara Eskine, etc.

Donna

I don't know if this fits, but I read a book last year called "The other times of Caroline Tangent" about a couple who travel back in time to see historical concerts.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-22, 04:27 PM  
SpiritYogi

I just finished three novels: I See You, Let Me Lie, and I Let You Go, by Clare Mackintosh. All very good novels and suggested reading for those of you who like books with endings you don't expect.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-22, 08:09 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Dena, I thought it was funny that all 3 of those books had I or Me in the title!

My current novel is Exposed, from the Rosato & DiNunzio series. And then I have about 4 different non-fiction books half-read...

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-22, 08:23 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I don't know if this fits, but I read a book last year called "The other times of Caroline Tangent" about a couple who travel back in time to see historical concerts.
Just recently got "The Door Through Washington Square" by Elaine Bergstrom. Haven't started it yet, but it might be a place to start.

The only other things I can think of are probably more sci-fi than your description seems to indicate is wanted, but Connie Willis has written some really well received novels about historians going back in time.

Jodi Taylor's "Just One Damned Thing After Another" is the first in a big series that's also about historians time traveling. The tone is different than Willis's work.

Editing to add: if you type "Authors similar to Barbara Erskine" in a Google search, it'll pop up a list.
And on GoodReads, they have lists of books of all sorts. Like this one, 'similar to Lady of Hay" https://www.goodreads.com/book/simil...88-lady-of-hay
Old 07-14-22, 08:33 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I also meant to say that I'd never heard the term time-slip novels, so I looked it up. Wikipedia differentiates these from time travel novels:
Quote:
The difference is that in time slip stories, the protagonist typically has no control and no understanding of the process (which is often never explained at all) and is either left marooned in a past or future time and must make the best of it, or is eventually returned by a process as unpredictable and uncontrolled as the journey out.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-14-22, 09:31 PM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Dena, I thought it was funny that all 3 of those books had I or Me in the title!
Ha, maybe the author projects a bit self-centeredness in her novels?
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 08:59 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I also meant to say that I'd never heard the term time-slip novels, so I looked it up. Wikipedia differentiates these from time travel novels:
Oh! Good to know. I guess the books I suggested above won't fit that category.
Old 07-15-22, 09:44 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Oh! Good to know. I guess the books I suggested above won't fit that category.
I had no idea either! Sounds like the OUTLANDER series fits.

I finished EXPOSED last night. Unlike the other books in this series, which focus on the POV of just one of the female lawyers, this novel switches back and forth between Bennie and Mary, which I liked.

I think I am going to finish one of my non-fiction books (probably CONFESSIONS OF A COMMA QUEEN) before I start another novel. One of my other non-fiction novels is called WELLNESS DETOX: THE MYTH OF WELLNESS AND HOW WE CAN TRULY HEAL. It's been interesting so far, bringing up a lot of issues such as inequity, fatphobia, spiritual bypassing, etc. That one I've been reading before bed, so I'm only progressing a bit at a time.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-15-22, 09:46 AM  
Sissy B

I just finished Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus. It was excellent. I absolutely loved it. And as a fitness bonus, rowing was part of the story.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 10:01 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
I just finished Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus. It was excellent. I absolutely loved it. And as a fitness bonus, rowing was part of the story.
I think someone else recommended this also - it's on my Goodreads Want to Read list!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, summer reading