Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-07, 10:39 AM  
bonbon

Can T-Tapp Work for the already very fit?

I don't know if it's age or hormone related (I turned 40 last Sunday), but recently I put on 8 pounds. I'm an advanced exerciser (Cathe, P90X,CC,Mindy, Amy Bento) as well as a former professional dancer and dance teacher. These 8 Pounds have come out of nowhere since there have been no changes in my activity or D***. These 8 pounds also won't go away!! I've tried changes in both activity and d*** and nothing has worked. I have been reading all of the T-Tapp threads and bought the book and some workouts (total workout, hit the floor combo and both walking workouts). I started with Instructional #1 and the Basic Plus workout on Thursday night and did Instructional #2 with Basic Plus yesterday. I would say that I got about 80% of the form down.

I must say that I don't see how these workouts can result in inch/weight loss. My heartrate did not get anywhere near my fat burning zone. I'm wondering if all the wonderful results I've read about is only reserved for the unfit and those who have more to lose. I'm going to stick with my bootcamp, but I just need reassurance that in about a month's time I won't be weak and flabby!!

Any imput would be much appreciated!!!

bonbon
bonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 10:58 AM  
slate*kate
VF Supporter

I can't answer your question but have wondered the same thing myself, if the awesome results are mostly seen in the less fit individuals. I will be interested to see replies but hope the thread stays civil because I remember some T-Tapp discussions getting sort of heated for some reason in the past.

I considered trying it and checked the book and a CD out of the library. It just didn't appeal to me at all and I didn't even give it much of a try. So like I said, I can't really speak about results.
slate*kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 11:12 AM  
Lannette

Yes, T-Tapp can give results to the very fit. I had run three marathons, was a die hard Firmie, Cathe, intensity junky and it worked for me.

If your heart rate is not getting up there then chances are something is missing. It could be that your form is not all there to the point you believe or as a former dancer (only semi-pro - regional dance company) who has introduced other former dancers to T-Tapp it could be that you're not yet aggressive enough with holding the isometric contraction. This is very common with individuals who tend to be loose through the joints or simply don't click with the idea of holding multiple isometric contractions at the same time. I'm trying to think of how to describe this in dancers terms but for the moment at least words are failing me.

Let's just take T-Tapp twist, if you are truly holding good form it should literally be difficult to release the lower body hold because of muscle tightness when you go to kick out your feet to move onto the next movement. If it isn't then you aren't maximizing the isometric contraction.

I also want to say that I've been studying T-Tapp form for the last 6 years and have yet to get it. It seriously takes more than one run through of instructional tape 1 to truly "get it".

All that said, I would love to help you figure this out if you're so inclined. PM or email me and we'll chat.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 02:20 PM  
bonbon

I'm commited to finishing my Bootcamp. I'm really working on my form. I'm just afraid that this might be another case of "What works for some, does not work for others".
Old 03-24-07, 02:57 PM  
Lannette

I totally understand, been there done that!

Heck I just about ripped Teresa stem to stern the first time I tried T-Tapp. That's why I'm committed to help others who come to T-Tapp from a traditional exercise frame of reference.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 04:37 PM  
schrovet

it worked for me

I had been steadily losing 1/2 lb a week for the last 8 weeks using Cathe's latest series, Jari Love, Itreads and 3 weeks of P90x rotation.

I realized I wasn't enjoying my workouts and needed a change. I took the t-tapp plunge and learned the workouts easily. I quickly progressed to the beginner/rehab dvd. I did a 6 day boot camp and lost 2.5lbs.

I was really amazed at the weight loss since I had been steadily losing.

My heart rate monitor can vary from 120-160 when doing a t-tapp workout. It is low 120's in the beginning and then stays around 150 throughout.

Good luck to you.

Lisa
schrovet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 07:07 PM  
slate*kate
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrovet

I realized I wasn't enjoying my workouts and needed a change.
I was really amazed at the weight loss since I had been steadily losing.
Lisa - So you really enjoy doing T-Tapp? I don't see how, but like they say, different strokes for different folks! I hope you have continued success.
slate*kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 07:52 PM  
schrovet

so far, I do

So far, I do enjoy T-tapp. I feel energized after doing them. I don't dread my workouts anymore.

I have only been t-tapping 2 weeks. Too early to tell.

I plan on doing nothing but t-tapp for 30 days (and walking). Then may add in some supreme pilates or iSculpttrad workouts.

Lisa
schrovet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 08:41 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I lost an inch around my ribs, waist, and upper hips during my bootcamp. I'm 5'8" and already at a healthy weight (143). I've worked out regularly for about 14 years now. Love Cathe, love the Firm.... I've never been super-advanced, but I've swung between low advanced and high internediate status for years.

I gained inches after my C-section with baby number three at age 35... Lost weight but never lost INCHES.... The only two things that have taken an inch off my waist were the Firm's 90-day rotation, done as written, for 90 days.... and a 10-day T-tapp bootcamp.

That said, there is no ONE magic bullet that works for everybody. But T-tapp has my attention at this point.

And I had thought Teresa was basically a quack. Oops. I was definitely a T-tapp skeptic. I've learned over the years that I just don't do well with alternative workouts, or so I thought (bar method, pilates, callanetics, etc).

So give it a try. It can't hurt you to give it your all for ten days then re-measure. You'll either find it has made an impact on your body, or it hasn't. If not, you can go on, having not lost much if any fitness. If so, you've learned something interesting.

When I started doing it, I thought "there's no way this will result in any inch loss!" I felt, like you said, that it didn't get my heart rate high enough, and just didn't feel quite BEAT without using weights! But it did result in inch loss, and my husband noticed visible changes in my body and said "what in the heck is it that you're doing??"

Just my experience for your consideration. Best to you whatever you decide to do!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 09:04 PM  
bonbon

Thanks for the imput everyone! Your comments have been helpful. I think I'm gonna keep plugging along at this for at least 30 days!