Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-22, 05:59 PM  
gigi

Kudo's to everyone finishing the Iron Series. I cannot seem to stick to a program the past year or so. My problem with the Iron Series (and it's more MY problem rether than the series itself) is that if I miss two or three days of working out, then I feel like I need a total body workout to be "even." I'm also not sure I can handle all the repetition but If I was going to attempt to complete Carioline Girvin series again, it would definitely be the Iron Series. On her community page she hinted at the possiblity of "full" Iron Series as a possibility for the future. Quoted from the community post on youtube:

"Hello everyone!

It’s the final week! 😁

Congratulations to making it to week 6!

I hope through this series, you have maybe learned to lift with even more intent. Not always about solely the kgs you lift, but how you actually perform each rep.

Who knows… we could do a full Iron Program in the future! 😁"
Old 05-09-22, 07:36 AM  
tamib

I've enjoyed the Iron Series, just starting my 5th week, not sure what to do next , maybe repeat this depending on what she does next, I did Lift With Cee's 40-4-40 program before Iron, and there wasn't enough leg and glute work in that, it would be great if Caroline did more Iron type workouts, her HIIT is way beyond me, when I did her other programs I skipped it.

Tammy
tamib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-22, 04:18 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I finished up the Iron Series today and really loved most of it. I substituted the step ups with either static lunges or back lunges and any other tricep exercise for the dips.

I liked that the workouts were 30-35 minutes long (minus the intro) because I was able to fit in 30 minutes on my treadmill first. I feel like my legs, butt, and shoulders look much better! I didn’t go super heavy, because I didn’t want to end up with an injury but I tried to challenge myself. I loved the pace of all the workouts too, it never felt rushed.

I’m thinking of repeating it again, starting this week. If she decides to do a full Iron rotation, I’ll jump over to that instead (which I hope she does!)
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-22, 07:39 AM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
Kudo's to everyone finishing the Iron Series. I cannot seem to stick to a program the past year or so. My problem with the Iron Series (and it's more MY problem rether than the series itself) is that if I miss two or three days of working out, then I feel like I need a total body workout to be "even." I'm also not sure I can handle all the repetition but If I was going to attempt to complete Carioline Girvin series again, it would definitely be the Iron Series. On her community page she hinted at the possiblity of "full" Iron Series as a possibility for the future. Quoted from the community post on youtube:

"Hello everyone!

It’s the final week! 😁

Congratulations to making it to week 6!

I hope through this series, you have maybe learned to lift with even more intent. Not always about solely the kgs you lift, but how you actually perform each rep.

Who knows… we could do a full Iron Program in the future! 😁"

I'm super late to the Caroline Girvan party. What do you think she means by "full" Iron Series rotation?
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-22, 07:46 AM  
Dontmindthemess

Great job Kathy!!

I just finished this morning and I’m so happy I committed to this. I loved the length and I added in walking and step for cardio and some yoga sculpt earlier in the program. This last week I’ve added in Pilates by Lisa for core work. It’s hard to fit everything in I feel like I got a lot of strength back after having a rough workout year, my mojo was really suffering. Now, push-ups are back!! I was able to up the weights over the six weeks but I’m mindful of getting injured too. The slow and controlled pace made me feel confident about lifting heavier. I loved the length and I really think it made me work harder because I didn’t have to pace myself like I would for an hour lifting session. Also the half an hour sessions didn’t seem to trigger that ravenous hunger that I sometimes get with a longer heavy weight workout.

I’m thinking about doing another Caroline program “my way” and not being as strict with the schedule but I’ll probably take a couple of weeks off from scheduled workouts. I’ve got my eye on a couple of kettlebell workouts that I want to try.

If you’re on the fence about this I would highly recommend Iron. It’s really a program that can be scaled up or down for whatever level you’re at. It’s simple but not easy!

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-22, 08:28 AM  
horusosiris

I completed the Iron Series yesterday. It was a well structured program with lots of variety. I appreciated the fact that the workouts were 30-40 minutes. I added in walking, kickboxing and lighter cardio. I always felt "worked out" but not "wiped out." I hope she does another series soon. I am not sure what I will do next. I was thinking of a Cathe series but Caroline's 30 minutes have spoiled me.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-22, 01:28 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
I completed the Iron Series yesterday. It was a well structured program with lots of variety. I appreciated the fact that the workouts were 30-40 minutes. I added in walking, kickboxing and lighter cardio. I always felt "worked out" but not "wiped out." I hope she does another series soon. I am not sure what I will do next. I was thinking of a Cathe series but Caroline's 30 minutes have spoiled me.
You are exactly right about the "worked out" but not "wiped out" -- and I was never terribly sore the next day the way I sometimes can be with Cathe -- but I felt a little sore most days. Maybe you could do a Cathe rotation using timesaver premixes for the weight days?

Jane (Dontmindthemess), I hadn't thought about the hunger, but I think you're right -- I mostly did not have out of control hunger with this. I'm not quite finished up yet -- I started late and have missed some days, but plan to finish in the next week.

KathyG, I am also thinking about repeating it -- I really loved it (except getting tired of the music). Can't wait to see what she does next.
Old 05-16-22, 02:22 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
I'm super late to the Caroline Girvan party. What do you think she means by "full" Iron Series rotation?
My guess is a full 10 week rotation like she did with the Epic rotations.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-22, 05:49 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
I'm guessing a longer program like her EPIC programs which I think are 8 to 12 weeks? One thing I don't like is the half reps, especially with RDL's. I think that she is using her back too much and goes super low. Not that it is hurting her, but it would be easy for me to get hurt. I've previewed the EPIC workouts and know I will not be doing any of those. Once I lose some weight, I would consider doing the Iron Series and subbing half reps that make me uncomfortable.

Edited to add that I didn't read Erica's response before I posted. Our thinking is the same on this. (:
Old 05-17-22, 05:52 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontmindthemess View Post
Great job Kathy!!

I just finished this morning and I’m so happy I committed to this. I loved the length and I added in walking and step for cardio and some yoga sculpt earlier in the program. This last week I’ve added in Pilates by Lisa for core work. It’s hard to fit everything in I feel like I got a lot of strength back after having a rough workout year, my mojo was really suffering. Now, push-ups are back!! I was able to up the weights over the six weeks but I’m mindful of getting injured too. The slow and controlled pace made me feel confident about lifting heavier. I loved the length and I really think it made me work harder because I didn’t have to pace myself like I would for an hour lifting session. Also the half an hour sessions didn’t seem to trigger that ravenous hunger that I sometimes get with a longer heavy weight workout.

I’m thinking about doing another Caroline program “my way” and not being as strict with the schedule but I’ll probably take a couple of weeks off from scheduled workouts. I’ve got my eye on a couple of kettlebell workouts that I want to try.

If you’re on the fence about this I would highly recommend Iron. It’s really a program that can be scaled up or down for whatever level you’re at. It’s simple but not easy!

Jane
Good for you Jane! I'm glad you enjoyed it and got stronger doing the Iron Series! I love doing things "my way," to make it work for me!

Also, yay Kathy! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

Tags
caroline girvan, girvan, peripheral heart action, youtube channels, youtube instructors