Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-16, 01:07 PM  
Sara1000

The Purge

OK, I have pared my collection down from 9 shoe boxes full of workouts I'm not using to 7 boxes. Many of the ones I have left are VHS, mostly FIRM. I doubt I will ever use them again, but I guess it doesn't hurt to keep them in my closet.

There are about 15 additional workouts that I am using on a regular basis.

I'm not looking back, this time. I still have plenty of workouts I love! I have reached an age and condition where I know I will never do jumping again, or other high impact, so why keep that type of workout around to haunt me? I'm keeping a few step workouts because I love the music. If I do them I will have to modify like crazy of course.

What are your experiences with workout purging?
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 02:18 PM  
twinkletoes

I just got rid of probably close to 100, if not more. Why was I keeping them if I was never using them? So I started to do them all one by one (to make sure I really didn't like it or wouldn't miss it) and then got rid of them. I think I still have a few I can get rid of but the majority of the purge is over. And I feel much better now. I only have the ones I enjoy doing, and it makes it so much easier to pick a workout now!
Old 04-11-16, 04:32 PM  
DejaDeb

This is the MAJOR goal of the "All My Workouts" check-in, to get through all of our "virgin" and/or barely used DVDs! http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=215194

It's hard for me to let go of something -- DVDs, clothing, old dishes, LOL! -- but once I do, I feel both relieved and victorious! This weekend, DH and I were making a "Goodwill" run, and I went through the boxes to categorize what we were donating. I saw a number of articles of clothing that I wanted to snatch back out of that box -- but I realized I'd put them there for a reason, and I hadn't missed them in the coupla months since they'd been outta my closet, so I was able to resist temptation.
Old 04-11-16, 04:43 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

I recently took a bag of VHS to Goodwill (including Firms), only to have the guy there say, "I don't know why people keep bringing these - no one wants them."

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 04:45 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I recently mailed a box of old VHS workouts to a VFer who was looking for them. I sent her as many as I could fit in a flat rate box and she paid postage. I knew they were going to someone who wanted them!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 04:52 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I have a big DVD shelf full of workouts. I stare at it almost every day and wonder why I just don't pack most of them up and take them to goodwill. I don't do any high impact anymore either. I don't even do traditional weight training much anymore. I was thinking of giving myself until June, (6 months) and then doing the big PURGE then.
Sara- I am 51 and I mostly do barre, Pilates, some yoga and low impact cardio these day. This is all that interests me anymore.
Deb- I agree, it is hard to let go of stuff sometimes
Twinkletoes- I really need to do what you just did!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 05:00 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I have 4 stacks of DVDs sitting in the corner of my workout room since the end of last year waiting to be donated and/or sold. I look at them just about every day and I still haven't done anything.... Why?
Old 04-11-16, 05:00 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
I'm not looking back, this time. I still have plenty of workouts I love! I have reached an age and condition where I know I will never do jumping again, or other high impact, so why keep that type of workout around to haunt me? ...
This. I keep coming back to the same set of instructors, over and over again, so I'm finally wising up and slowly getting rid of what I know I'll never use.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 05:24 PM  
bubbles76

I'm open to trades and donations
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-16, 06:34 PM  
ellaenchanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Beckwith View Post
I recently took a bag of VHS to Goodwill (including Firms), only to have the guy there say, "I don't know why people keep bringing these - no one wants them."
Most people probably don't own VCRs anymore. The only people I hear say they still have one are here on VF! LOL
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote