Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-12-16, 08:32 AM  
twinkletoes

Windows 10

My computer appears to be forcing me to upgrade to Windows 10. I've been ignoring the notifications but now it's giving me pop ups that won't go away, requesting that I choose a time to upgrade. This pop up will not go away unless I choose a time that can't be changed in the future.

Has anyone here upgraded to Windows 10? Is it better or a PITA?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-16, 08:36 AM  
Diana3271

I have been getting the notifications but not anything that I can't close. Gosh, I hope this doesn't happen for me. We bought our system from Best Buy. I went there about a month ago to discuss it with the Geek Squad. Based on our situation, they advised me not to upgrade. We use the computer for only basic needs. There is no real reason for us to upgrade and then to have another learning curve. This particular computer is at work. No telling what I am going to have when I get there. Sorry that I am no help.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-16, 08:54 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I'm getting more and more notifications, too. I hope it doesn't try to force me. We use our desktop computer only for basic operations and not often, and it's several years old. I remember continually upgrading my iPad until it got messed up and then learned that the latest upgrades were too much for my older iPad to handle. I don't want the same thing to happen to my desktop.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-16, 09:06 AM  
Demeris

I upgraded. I had to learn how to navigate through my files a bit differently, and I had to deactivate Edge as the default browser. Aside from those two issues, I don't have any problems. In fact, until this thread, I had forgotten I no longer use Windows 7 on my laptop.

The real difference is with my tablet, a Surface 3. If I'm not careful, it goes into tablet mode, which I loathe.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-16, 09:24 AM  
cherimac

I upgraded and like it. But, I can't play DVDs on my computer anymore. I have the upgraded Windows player but it doesn't work. Other than that, I like it.
Old 03-12-16, 09:37 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Our tech people at work are advising us (no, ordering us) not to upgrade. Apparently Windows 10 is a bigger memory and resource hog than Windows 7 and our work computers are not going to handle it well.

As for our personal home computers - they (the tech folks) aren't wild about Windows 10 either. They are taking the "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" approach, and I tend to agree with them.

I know that Microsoft changed the updating protocol so that Windows 10 would be a mandatory automatic update a few weeks ago. We went it and disabled that download on all our computers, which isn't the best idea in the world, but we didn't want to wake up some morning and find that we had upgraded unintentionally to Windows 10.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-16, 09:42 AM  
Zenara25

There's privacy issues. Apparently Windows 10 tracks what you do and sends that back to Microsoft by default. Most can be disabled...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke.../#ab91dc92f4a2

Windows Media Center is no longer able to function for OTA antenna recording. There are other open source choices.

For DVD playback you can download the free open source VLC player.

Those are the only 3 issues I've noticed. I did upgrade and I like it as much as Windows 7. If Windows 7 would be supported longer (Windows security updates) I wouldn't of upgraded. But support will end 1/14/2020. And I figured might as well get it for free while I can.

Forgot to add that the free upgrade period ends July 29th 2016.
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-16, 09:56 AM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
O

As for our personal home computers - they (the tech folks) aren't wild about Windows 10 either. They are taking the "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" approach, and I tend to agree with them.

Carol
This is exactly what the Geek Squad told me.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-16, 10:37 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

My old desktop with Win 7 died couple of weeks ago after about 7 years, so I replaced the CPU which came with pre-installed Windows 10. I hooked it up and instantly hated it. I hated everything about it, starting with Windows 10 and ending with the noisy, obsolete-looking CPU. And don't get me started on constant updates, and the additional cost of annual anti-virus renewals.

I returned the CPU within 2 days, and got 21.5" iMAC instead. The transition from Windows 7 to a mac was easy since I already own MacBook Air and love it. My new iMac is completely silent, fast and all it is is a monitor which keeps my desk clean and sparse-looking. Love it!

I work from home 2-3 days a week and prefer to work on a desktop, which is why I even purchased another desktop. I do have a 2-3 year old HP laptop with windows 7 which I use exclusively for streaming workouts. I have no intention of upgrading it to windows 10. When it dies, it'll be gone. My dh upgraded his laptop to Windows 10 and had nothing but problems. Still does!
Old 03-12-16, 11:17 AM  
kettlebell

I found this web site helpful with regards to Window 10.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...emetry.780476/
kettlebell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows 10