Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-21, 09:08 PM  
Gams

Maybe I was being overly sensitive because I was so anxious about the surgery. I don’t know how to handle a cancer diagnosis without some fear and anxiety. And I’m sure I was extra foggy because of them starting out with MAC anesthesia and then switching to general anesthesia, so having me walk out on my own was probably not the best suggestion even if they were busy because if I had fallen so shortly after surgery, it might have caused more damaged. Also, I didn’t understand why I had a huge bruise under my tongue and the side of my face was sore.

As far as going and volunteering to help these overworked individuals, if they want to switch places with me and take my cancer from me, I would gladly be an overworked stressed out employee.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-21, 11:37 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Maybe I was being overly sensitive because I was so anxious about the surgery.should be kind I don’t know how to handle a cancer diagnosis without some fear and anxiety. And I’m sure I was extra foggy because of them starting out with MAC anesthesia and then switching to general anesthesia, so having me walk out on my own was probably not the best suggestion even if they were busy because if I had fallen so shortly after surgery, it might have caused more damaged. Also, I didn’t understand why I had a huge bruise under my tongue and the side of my face was sore.

As far as going and volunteering to help these overworked individuals, if they want to switch places with me and take my cancer from me, I would gladly be an overworked stressed out employee.
As I clearly stated, I feel genuinely sorry for people who felt rushed or didn't receive compassionate care. It doesn't matter what type of care that you deserve (of course it should be kind and excellent), there is still only so much that one person can do in a day. I was hoping that seeing it from a different perspective might help bridge the gap. That it might help people have understanding and inspire some mutual compassion. We need to pull together. If you think that stressed out and hurried care is inadequate, please know that there is a potential for care to be unavailable altogether. There are hospitals in the US that are turning patients away. Due to Covid, the main hospital in our region has suspended all non-urgent procedures. There are no scopes, surgeries or out patient procedures etc unless you can earn an emergency position through the ER. And that is after a very long wait. There will be long term consequences of delayed care for even non-covid patients. Those patients have faces and families and there is a mountain of worry for many health care providers.

There have been both successful and attempted suicides by medical personnel. Workers are exhausted but there are no vacation days. If you become ill from stress or Covid, you feel the guilt of leaving your co-workers with an even heavier work load. Many people who go into health care do so because they want to help people. It is emotionally devastating not to have time to hold hands and give emotional support. My sisters are both nurses. My little sister works the Covid floor. She has transformed from a loving ray of sunshine to an emotionally distraught soldier. She cries regularly after returning from her shift, as do most of her co-workers. We all miss the days of having time and adequate resources for patients.

I didn't intend this as a competition for who suffers the most--far from it. I truly hope that you find comfort and heal. Maybe if patients understand that many health care workers are holding the line for all that they are worth, they might feel better about it instead of feeling neglected. I hope so. I sat down after an excruciating shift and looked to VF for a few seconds of normalcy. My heart sank as I read this thread. I suppose it could be different in your area as there are always a few bad apples in the bunch. But I can tell you with full confidence that most health care providers are walking like rushed zombies because they really do care, enough to stay.

And for what it is worth, I don't think you were overly sensitive at all. Patients need compassionate care and support as they move through these things. Again, I feel very sad for your experience.

I really don't have time to be here. Please don't take any future silence the wrong way. Best of health and happiness to all my VF neighbors. Sincere healing wishes to you Gams
Old 10-01-21, 05:40 PM  
wendug

Gams- Sorry that happened to you. I have heard horror stories about what health care workers are going through and I know that they are stressed out. That doesn't dismiss what happened to you, though.

I have a story about my father. He hasn't been feeling well and was retaining fluid in his arms. He called his friend who is a retired doctor and the friend told him to go in for a stress test. He gets the test set up and goes in the next day. His blood pressure was low and they would not release him. Doctor looked at the test and he had blockage in one of his arteries and needed surgery. Unfortunately he lives in an area that has lots of covid hospitalizations now and there wasn't a bed available to him. He had to be taken by ambulance 90 minutes away to find an available hospital bed for him so he could have surgery. He had the surgery yesterday and is doing well, but I was so worried he wouldn't be able to find a hospital bed for the surgery. My poor mom was stressed out, too, not knowing where my dad would end up for surgery. Both are resting now and my dad says he feels better than he has in weeks.

Tags
colonoscopy