Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-21, 06:15 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softshoe View Post
Congratulations on getting rid of that cancer. So sorry about that horrible experience. I think of Katie Curic. She was so brave to have a colonoscopy on TV. It helps me through the prep and all. Hopefully, soon it will be a distant memory for you, Tammy.
I think hers was a virtual colonoscopy. Much less invasive.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-21, 06:59 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
There is an alternative prep that some doctors/hospitals use. Not sure why some only offer the prescription for trilyte or suprep while others provide an instruction sheet for the alternative prep.

Some people prefer the trilyte prep but most people my mom knows prefer the alternative prep. The alternative prep involves over-the-counter miralax and dulcolax and gatorade (or crystal light or whatever, in approved colors). It apparently is simple to follow, doesn't taste gross and has a more gentle, less "explosive" effect.
I did the miralax/dulcolax prep. It is simple to follow but it still had the "explosive" effect. This may be too much information but I had to change clothes twice before I gave up and spent the night on the bathroom floor. Of course this kept the pets all confused; one of the dogs sat outside the door and whined most of the night and there were cats sliding their paws under the door and scratching at it.

So glad it's over. This was my 3rd colonoscopy. Each time polyps have been removed so it's every 3 years for me.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-21, 09:58 AM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
I did the miralax/dulcolax prep. It is simple to follow but it still had the "explosive" effect. This may be too much information but I had to change clothes twice before I gave up and spent the night on the bathroom floor. Of course this kept the pets all confused; one of the dogs sat outside the door and whined most of the night and there were cats sliding their paws under the door and scratching at it.

So glad it's over. This was my 3rd colonoscopy. Each time polyps have been removed so it's every 3 years for me.
I agree on the the alternative prep still having the same side affects. I have IBS so it was too much stimulation and I ended up passing out because the spasms were so bad. Will definitely ask to lower the dosage next time (January ) I did the phoso-soda prep the first time and while it tasted so disgusting I didn't have horrible spasms...but maybe my IBS just wasn't as bad then. Not looking forward to the next one. Why can't they come up with some better method for a colonscopy

Gams your experience sounds absolutely terrible!! I would definitely follow up on the HIPPA violation.
frogribbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-21, 10:20 AM  
donnamp

I think I had the suprep when I did mine. It was maybe two doses - not a whole lot to drink. I don't remember, I blocked it out, LOL!

My DH has done it w/ the OTC laxative combo.

I keep hoping they will find a better way to do this - I got an all clear so I am good for 10 years - unless some other issue pops up. I'm due 2028....so let's hope they find an alternative before then.

From what I understand, Cologuard is pretty accurate and far less invasive.

My DH did Cologuard this last time.

But I think it is only recommended for people w/out a history of issues, polyps, etc. or family history of colon cancer.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-21, 11:14 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I think you should formally follow up on all of that. The HIPAA violation should be investigated and proper action taken. And then the rest!
I totally agree! How they treated you if completely unacceptable. I am so sorry you had to deal with all of that, on top of a (what I am assuming to be a previous?) cancer diagnosis. I hope you follow up--they should not be allowed to get away with that.

Wishing you better days ahead and speedy healing!
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-21, 03:55 PM  
unfetteredpast

I'm sorry you had such an unprofessional medical team. I had both colonoscopy and endoscopy this year and my nurses/anesthesiologists/doctors were all great. My only complaint is with the front office people. Getting things scheduled, getting results and referrals is generally really difficult.

I've done the Gatorade/miralax protocol for all 3 colonoscopies I've had. It's not pleasant but tolerable. I just remind myself that my stomach is going to look so flat in the morning.

Each time, I've been told that my prep was good which made their job easier. I'm on the 5-year plan these days, so unless they come up with something better, I guess I know what I'll be doing.

At least now you can eat whatever you want
unfetteredpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-21, 04:14 PM  
Gams

I talked to my surgeon this morning and told her about my bruised tongue and sore face. She said it was probably because they had to perform a jaw thrust on me, but I told my sister that I think what really happened to me is when they went to roll me from my side onto my stomach, they pushed too hard andI landed on my face on the floor. Now they are trying to cover up. 😂 (Just kidding.)
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-21, 04:54 PM  
katmom

I work for a hospital in a non-clinical position but I am subjected to annual HIPAA compliance training. At the very least, you should report the HIPAA violation.

The medical staff should not have made the assumption it was all right to openly discuss your information just because they were with you. They should have first asked if they had permission to discuss your information in the presence of the person with you.
Old 09-24-21, 11:06 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

(((HUGS))) Sorry this happened. It's unprofessional. With HIPAA, they don't even assume that you want to share your medical history with your spouse. Wonder if you could ask them to look in your file to see what happened in the OR? Anyway, I hope you are feeling better!

Glad the cancer was taken care of!
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-21, 02:27 AM  
hypnomoon

Oh, heavens!! That is just unacceptable. I hope they email you a survey. Then you can let them know that your HIPPA rights were not protected and that you didn't receive the care you will surely be charged for!

So sorry you went through all that. And, I very speedy recovery to you.
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colonoscopy