Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-21, 11:32 AM  
leigh1673

I apologize if this product has been discussed previously, but may I put a plug in for LUME deodorant? This stuff is the freakin' bomb dot com!

Now, it's not an anti-perspirant so it doesn't prevent the sweat, but hand-to-heart, there is ZERO odor from the sweat. Beyond underarm use, it's been nothing short of miraculous for my um, well, "underboob sweat" (you larger-breasted ladies know what I'm talking about...).

The 2 scents I've tried - orange/tangerine and lilac I think - don't really smell great when you just sniff the product itself, but the scent mostly fades when applied.

My other rec is Dove Body polish in Crushed Macadamia. The smell is out of this world and it really does smooth/soften skin.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-21, 10:25 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Question Another skin care question

Thinking more about facial skin care - what do you all think about facial scrubs? I have tried various ones thinking that they might leave my skin cleaner, better control oil, etc., but I am wondering if they are too harsh. Thoughts?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-21, 10:27 PM  
Carol K

Many years ago, I used Clinique Exfoliating Scrub (not the 7-day scrub) three mornings a week instead of cleanser. But I prefer a chemical exfoliant, because I can use it around my eyes.
Old 01-31-21, 10:41 PM  
SEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Thinking more about facial skin care - what do you all think about facial scrubs? I have tried various ones thinking that they might leave my skin cleaner, better control oil, etc., but I am wondering if they are too harsh. Thoughts?
Beth, I've tried all kinds of scrubs and have used a facial brush, but never got the results I wanted. Last year I started using Paula's Choice AHA gel at night and it made a world of difference for me. I also stated cleaning my face with a microfiber face cloth. At night I use some Micellar Water and the cloth. My skin gets so much cleaner. Mornings I just wet the cloth and go over my face to freshen up. My skin is looking so much better. I still use Bior nose strips occasionally, and a mud mask too.

Susan
SEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-21, 10:44 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks Carol & Susan!

Susan, you reminded me that I tried a couple of facial brushes in the past few years (not motorized ones) and haven't really liked them either; I like my new makeup erasure pads so much better!

So far my revamped program seems to be going well (after a little hitch, possibly purging). I'm not currently using a scrub but wondered if I should go back to one; probably not.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 01-31-21, 10:53 PM  
Carol K

Not if you're using another type of exfoliant, but I think regular exfoliation is a good idea.
Old 02-01-21, 01:10 AM  
BunnyHop

I've got rosacea these days, but before my skin got all sensitive, I used to like using an occasional scrub. I think I liked an old Clinique one, not sure it's made any more. Whatever it was had a little glass jar, the product itself was kinda blue-green, and seemed gently scrubby, not obviously rough like some.

I also used to like the Peter Thomas Roth jojoba bead ones.

These days I don't do much to my skin beyond washing it with the Cetaphil redness face foam wash stuff and using my Rx and a sunscreen. Whenever I've tried doing anything else about my pores my skin gets all flared up again. (sigh. )
Old 02-01-21, 08:24 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I think I need to wrap my head around the concept that there are both physical (scrub) and chemical (AHA, BHA) exfoliants.

I know people keep mentioning masks; that's another thing I've tried off and on but have never really noticed a difference. Some leave my skin feeling nice afterward, but little beyond that.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 02-01-21, 08:51 AM  
donnamp

Hi!

I think some scrubs are too harsh - so I think you would be better off with a BHA wash - or an AHA wash.

For BHA washes I have used the Aveeno and the Zapzyt:

https://www.aveeno.com/products/clea...cream-cleanser

https://zapzyt.com/our-products/acne-wash-cleanser/

I like the Zapzyt one better b/c it has no fragrance, but it is sometimes hard to find in the drugstore.

I also like this AHA cleanser from Alpha:

https://www.neotericcosmetics.com/re...h-aha-6-fl-oz/

As for masks, I think they are nice, but i haven't really noticed great improvements from using them, although I have this Cetaphil one to try - but right now my skin is feeling a bit dry - so I haven't tried it out yet since it is for oily skin:

https://www.cetaphil.com/us/product/...ying-clay-mask

I'm glad your new routine is working well - my skin is actually doing pretty well, too, I think I have minimized my routine and I try to go w/ how my skin feels - so some nights if my skin feels dry I skip the Differin, sometimes I use a heavier moisturizer, sometimes lighter. this is sort of going hand in hand w/ my new exercise philosophy which is to go w/ what I feel is right for me each day! LOL!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 08:52 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I think I need to wrap my head around the concept that there are both physical (scrub) and chemical (AHA, BHA) exfoliants.

This is so true! Took me forever.

My memory finally reminded me that when I was having real skin trouble a good while back I learned a lot from Dubrow and Adderly's The Acne Cure.

At the time I was struggling with acne, but following their basic routine cleared up my skin very nicely. Treating a fungal infection with oral medication wound up curing the issues I was having, so I stopped needing that routine, but at the time, the daily routine I was following got the problems under control.

IIRC, I had a daily routine, some steps in the morning, some at bedtime, that was truly manageable.

From what I remember the basic issue is that you need to deal both with inflammation symptoms and infection symptoms in order to get the problem under control.

It's been so long I hardly remember, but I'm reasonably certain it involved a glycolic toner in the morning and a benzoyl peroxide cream at night.

The book itself mentions specific products the author sold, but I just sought out stuff with the active ingredients I needed and cobbled together my own routine.

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, beauty thread 2021