Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-03, 12:04 AM  
Trevian

Cathe - VHS or DVD?

Hey there.

I have a quick question regarding the benefits of owning Cathe's DVDs vs. her VHSs. I have yet to try a Cathe Workout but am gearing up to make a bunch of purchases and am trying to decide whether to buy DVDs exclusively or mostly DVDs and a few VHSs.

You see, while I always go with DVD over VHS, I'm wondering if there are certain Cathe Features where there is really little, to no, benefit to be gained from owning them on DVD as opposed to VHS. Take her cardio routines for example, if I were to come across a great deal on VHS, would it be in my best interests to go with that or is the benefit of having her cardio routines on DVD great enough that it'd be more than worth the difference in price?

In other words, from what I've read in this forum, there is much to be gained from having Cathe's strength workouts on DVD, which is why I will be purchasing all of my Cathe Strength Features in DVD Format, but I haven't heard the same be said, at least as much, about her cardio routines. Do you customize your cardio workouts using her DVDs as you do, and as much as you do, your strength workouts?

Welcoming any and all input
Trevian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-03, 12:19 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Hi,
I started out with Cathe's DVDs for strength only, was so thrilled with them that I bought the cardio DVDs, (I had all of them already in VHS), but now...I only have the DVDs! I love the ability to skip at the touch of a button and mix and match!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-03, 12:20 AM  
Trevian

Thanks for weighing in!
Old 01-06-03, 12:24 AM  
lsberg
VF Supporter

I love my cardio DVDs

Hi! I replaced all of my Cathes with DVD (except Circuit Max, because I didn't want Cardio Kicks). I love Cathe's cardio DVDs! I have two - the Rhythmic Step + DVD and the Classics Vol. 1 DVD. I have always hated the warm-up to Rhythmic Step, and I don't do it anymore - I use the warm-up from MIC instead. Or just section 1 from Rhythmic step plus some intervals, or the step portion of MIC. Also, I can easily do just the step or just the hi-lo from MIC, plus warm-up and cool-down, with no rewinding and waiting if I program in advance. And finally, if I want to do just a few intervals from IMAX, then I can do that, again with no rewinding. Just a few options!

The Classics Vol. 1 is a recent purchase - I really wanted that DVD. Since I used the three step tapes on that DVD when I was working my way up to intermediate, I really feel like I have done the first section of each DVD to death. But I used to get too tired to get all the way to section 3, so those still feel new. Now I can program a combination of sections 2 and 3 from each of them, and I really enjoy it - especially the third sections! It's just fun to mix and match - keeps things interesting.

Anyway, that's just my .02. I'm sure you'll get some other perspectives!

Lindsay
lsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-03, 12:30 AM  
Trevian

Thanks Lindsay; those are helpful comments.
Old 01-06-03, 12:48 AM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

I have Cathe's Cardio Hits on DVD because that was my first Cathe purchase so I thought I'd try all three together based on their great reviews. CTX is a must on DVD because it saves space and you can mix and match. The only DVDs I don't have is Circuit Max/Cardio Kicks and the Rhythmic Step one and the Classics and Abs on too. That is only because I couldn't justify to my husband replacing those ones since I generally do those workouts all the way through. However, I replaced all my strength ones with DVD. But if I didn't have any of her tapes, I would get them all on DVD just because it saves space, there's no rewinding, you can mix and match etc. But if money is an issue, for me it's not a big deal to get her cardio on DVD. Plus, if you have most of her workouts on DVD you don't have to get Ab Hits because you can get to all those ab segments with ease on the DVDs already. Just my opinion.

Carla
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-03, 10:35 AM  
garylatasha

you might want to ask about the quality...

You might want to ask about the quality of the Intensity Series Videos.....I just read a post from someone (either here or on Cathe's site) who said they love the new series but that the DVDers should be happy because the quality of the VHS is not as good as it usually is.

It might have been just her copy, mind you....but that definitely made me glad I had ordered the DVDs. I'd hate to get them and then all the great music that Cathe picks be fuzzy or droning.

So you might go to Cathe's site and ask some of the video people if they have noticed any inferiority in their copies.

Tasha G.

""Exercise is done against one's wishes and maintained only because the alternative is worse""

"Mommy...whatcha doin?"
"Just spinnin baby....just spinning"
garylatasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-03, 12:04 PM  
Kate**Roberts
VF Supporter

Get the DVDs!

I would recommend the DVD versions of both her strength and cardio. The chapters are so great, and it is so fun to program your own workout. The only DVD I would say you didn't really need because of the lack of chapters is Circuit Max/Cardio Kicks. But, if you have everything else in DVD, I would go ahead and get those in DVD too!

Kate
Kate**Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-03, 12:10 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

VHS quality

I only have the Upper & Lower Body Pyramid tapes but the quality is superb as usual!
If I had a DVD player in my workout room, I would get everything in DVD!
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-03, 12:59 PM  
Vic

Don't even touch the VHS versions. Since you already said you normally get everything in DVD (as I do), you're used to the ease of going directly where you want to. And the cardio dvds allow you the options of mix and matching to create your own workouts. Like the others, I too mix and match. I love doing step works wu, sect. 1 and 2 and then power max sect. 2 and 3 cool down. Or.... for rhythmic step, iMax wu and the RS and pop in classics dvd for step works cool down. The power or mixing and matching or deciding you're too tired to do section 3 and jumping straight to cool down/stretch is SOOOOO empowering and you'll be sorry if you don't just get all dvd now. Good luck and happy Cathe purchasing! Me.... I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my intensity dvds.