Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-21, 08:40 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks for all of the additional info!

Paine, I used a standard rectangular vented brush for many years (Goody), but I've never seen one quite that shape. It seems like people really like oval-shaped brushes.

Anna, with my oily hair, I never do a true co-wash either. Instead I will sometimes co-wash first, do a brief rinse-like shampoo wash (probably similar to you diluted method!), and then condition again. I actually seem to need more conditioner at the roots, which I know is odd.

The idea of a haircare journal is a good one! I have been trying to informally pay attention depending on what I use for the day.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-21, 09:53 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Thanks for all of the additional info!

Whatever you do, just relax and have fun with it. A bad hair day is just that, a day.

Another idea is to try some dry shampoo right at your roots, maybe?

When my hair is particularly cranky I use it sometimes to help updos have more staying power, but I think all it really does is soak up a bit of oil.

I don't brush it through the roots as directed, because brushing makes my hair more oily, so I just spritz it lightly, right at the roots, then floof it a bit with my fingers so the powdery-ness doesn't show, then continue on with styling. Got the idea from Bernadette Banner's Youtube channel, and I'm surprised how well it works.

The only flaw I see with the idea is that if you spray too much in any one spot it can be more obvious than you might want. Since my hair is more completely gray than it used to be, I don't bother using the brunette version, but use whatever works with your hair color.
Old 08-31-21, 10:00 PM  
Leonana

I used to have fine oily hair, but my gray is coming in coarser and dryer, and wavy. I think I'm about 1/3 gray at the moment.

To smooth out my hair if it's feeling dry and frizzy, I take a small amount of conditioner in my hand, mix it with a little water, and run it through my hair with my fingers, then comb it through. I guess it's my homemade version of a leave in conditioner. It usually leaves my hair looking smoother.

I used to wash my hair every day, and it was oily enough that I didn't even need conditioner. Now I wash it every two or three days, and always use conditioner. Washing less often leaves my hair in better condition.
Old 09-01-21, 08:47 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Beth - talk to me about co-washing - this is a new term for me. My hair used to be thick but now it's thin, as in less of it, frizzy and desert dry.

Sherry - Leonana, I'll try your conditioner trick, thanks!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-21, 09:37 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Anna, I have actually thought about dry shampoo but have never tried it. Do you have a brand you like?

Sherry, I might eventually have to stop thinking about my hair as fine and thin if it keeps changing!

Pat, co-washing is basically washing your hair with conditioner. I think it might be recommended as part of the "Curly Girl Protocol," which I've heard of but never needed before! Here's a link with some info:
https://www.healthline.com/health/be...it%20from%20it.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-21, 10:55 AM  
Leonana

I didn't know what co-washing was either, thanks for the explanation. I might have to try it. My hair is in much better condition with waiting to wash it, but what do you do on days of a sweaty workout? Ugh!

I'm allergic to fragrance, so dry shampoo is a no go. I think I will try the co-washing on the heavier workout days.
Old 09-01-21, 11:43 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Anna, I have actually thought about dry shampoo but have never tried it. Do you have a brand you like?
The one I have is by Batiste, I think it's one with less fragrance or something? It's just a white powder. I don't remember them having an obnoxious amount of scent, but when it was time to replace, I got this one and it's fine too.

My first container of the stuff was a mini size from Ulta or Target, just as an experiment. My second is a larger size and may last me the rest of my life, LOL!
Old 09-23-21, 06:27 PM  
pharma_gal

Looking for recommendations on face masks. Do you need to use multiple masks during the week like for exfoliating, hydrating, brightening etc or is one mask enough? Which ones are the best? Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-21, 03:43 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
I like Suave. I have dark hair and it goes on transparent. I tried Dove dry shampoo and it goes on white, but combing it out makes it become transparent.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-21, 09:51 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
I like Suave.
Suave has several different dry shampoos. Which Suave dry shampoo do you like?
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, beauty thread 2021