Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-28-21, 01:03 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Happy Saturday!

Today I've got CL #14 on tap while my DH goes to the gym. We re-signed up at the local rec center yesterday and he plans to go regularly as part of his retirement routine. And our insurance will also reimburse us for it. It's a good deal anyway---a regular gym with equipment and pool and some classes for $110 a year each. So, FOLV, that's a part of our retirement "plan." Right now he's just taking it easy and planning projects to be done once the heat breaks. We've had a few "trial retirement" runs with his broken foot and whatever the crazy leg thing was that he had, both of which kept him at home for several months. At least we know we can manage our lives together as well as doing our separate "things."

bee, welcome home! I'm glad you got your boys settled. And yes, FOLV is right about our kids being so different from one another despite growing up in the same household. I'm sure it's very different for you at home and an adjustment to life without them around. But the food will probably last a lot longer! Oh, and funny you should mention that it would have been nice if Cathe had done a band stretch with this series. I actually pulled out the Stretch max DVD and planned to do the band stretch but ran out of time. It's still on my radar for the near future. It's tough to sub in the boss loops for the fire walker loops but I will see how it goes and have the fw loops close by.

FOLV, thanks for the hugs! I forgot to include Chalene in my 20 in 20ish but I still did 20 instructors, actually 22. I use the Turbo Fire HiiTs probably more than any of the other ones, either the 20 or 30 minute one. Sometimes more than 30 mins of Chalene and OC crew is more than I can handle.

manleym, I applaud you for doing all that Yard Max! We really need to do that but the heat just is kicking our butts! I think that somewhere on the forum someone mentioned Caroline's band workouts, and that they were more challenging than what Cathe does in these workouts. TBH, I don't really wanna do 150 hydrants or glute raises but I do want to see what Caroline does with the loop/band.

BabyW, hope things settle down for you. Also sending you {{hugs}}. Oh, and in case you didn't already know, if you don't like the new workouts please say so---no worries here. We all like different things and I'm not married to Cathe (and neither is anyone else here as far as I know) so no offense if the workouts don't work for you!

FN1, isn't kickboxing great for relieving stress? Sometimes I wish I had a heavy bag that I could put a picture on LOL. I do like Cathe's Intensity---there are so many premix options that it can get pretty tough. I do think that over time Cathe's workouts have gotten "easier" in small increments, so some of the "older" ones can really zap us if we haven't done them for awhile! The exception (for me) is her step workouts, as the oldies are more choreography-focused (except IMAX) and that means "easier" (again, for me) than the drills that came later on.

Kim, mmmm, massage......I haven't had a massage in years. It sounds heavenly and great that it helped. Good luck as your therapy continues!

Kate, Chele, Nathalie, horusosiris, check in when you can! Thinking about all of you!!

Waves!
---Moby

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-21, 02:26 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh, cataddict, I forgot to congratulate you on your husband's retirement -- that's very exciting!!

Thanks for all the words of wisdom on the empty nest.

This morning I did the Glutes and Core workout. Is it just me, or does anyone else think of the long skinny ones more as "loops" and the other ones as "bands", but Cathe has it the other way around? Maybe it's just me. The L&C did not seem as fun as the total body to me -- the cardio seemed repetitive and there didn't seem to be much new on the glutes front. I think the difference there is that I've never used anything like the longer skinnier ones so it all seemed pretty new and fresh. Again, I don't mean to complain! I still enjoyed the L&C workout and I'm very happy to have new stuff from Cathe!! I'm actually wondering about signing up for live since it sounds like there's a fair number of workouts that might use the bands -- well, and she'll probably do more now that they are available.

Maybe I should look back over my "20"-ish instructors and list them here. See how much overlap those of us who did that had.

In case you all need a laugh today..... there is some "celebs" app that will try to match your photo to a celebrity. It was mentioned in toastmasters this morning. I tried it and who was my match? Drumroll...... a 64% match to...... David Schwimmer! I apparently need some help in the looks department.
Old 08-28-21, 02:40 PM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post

lavna yes, they seem to smooth her vocal tones on the DVDs. (I think) So she seems more measured than what I have heard on CL clips. I can see that feeling like a voiceover. If you listen to the workout without music for a little bit, see what you think. Crystal bells for you! Did I miss you being able to put weight on your feet ok?
That's what I was trying to say! You summed it up perfectly!

I went to the doctor on Monday. I can start to put some weight on my ankle but have to wait 2 weeks before starting to walk on it. I can remove to boot to sleep and as often as I can during the day so I can move the ankle. I'll see her again but only in 4-6 weeks! I was hoping it would be sooner but I guess it the time it takes for an ankle to heal.

I got the OK to do some workouts. On Tuesday, I tried a Caroline Jordan, hurt foot workout. On Wednesday, I did To the mat and S&S Ramped up UB, adapted to my condition. And yesterday, I did TTM again and the UB premix from S&S TBGS.

VVfer: I'm sorry about your back/hip. I hope it get better soon! Hugs to you!

Sending healing thoughts and hugs to Kate, Chele and Kim.

Waves to all! Stay fierce and take care!
Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-21, 06:22 PM  
manleym

Kittybug you're welcome! Let me know what you think of the workout if you do it. Sculpt/Sore - LOL!! And yes, working out is a great way to take out some aggression! Take THAT, you....!!!!!

Cataddict the heat has been getting to us too. I talked to a co-worker and she mentioned the same. Don't know if it's because the heat is really just now settling in or what, but agree that it's bad. YAY on your hubby's retirement! Sounds like ya'll had a really nice party for him. I know he's happy to be done. And I agree with him about people. On my way home yesterday I was wanting to move to a place where there are no crazy people. Anyone know of a place? I'm so glad you mentioned insurance covering gym memberships and Cathe subscriptions. I think mine will, I just need to fill out the paperwork. I think it's great! Will you go with your hubby to the gym to workout out together? It's nice being retired because you don't have to wait for him to get off work. It was hard when hubby and I were trying to go to the gym together because I didn't like waiting for him to get off work. Too late for me. Hope ya'll get in a routine soon.

FLOV and VVfer I hope you are both healing and recovering. That goes for Kim and Nathalie. And definately ChelePA. Hope you are all resting and taking good care of yourselves.

FLOV, moving your daughter twice is crazy! And hard! And no fun. I hope she gets settled in soon. Can't remember, do you have any more kids at home?

Bee I was thinking of you the other day, and thinking it was getting close for your son to leave for college. I'm so glad your younger son is adjusting and hope your older son has a great experience this time. You're about to be an empty nester! And that is hilarious that the app matched you with David Schwimmer! I'm kinda scared to try it!

Now workouts. Things came up (work and life) so my workouts weren't what I was planning, but were just what I needed for that day.
Wednesday - KCM Boxfit Workout 3: Box & Pump. I liked this premix and it what I needed, so that's always a good thing.
Thursday - CL # 359 Pumped Up Lower Body. This was a great workout. You do a cardio move, then 3 rounds of 3 sets of lower body moves. One thing I really appreciate about Cathe Live is the fact that Cathe knows everyone's name in the class, whether an old timer or a first timer. She has a great memory and interacts with everyone.
Friday - Sydney Cummings 40 Minute Upper Body and Cardio Workout Burn 550 Calories. This was a good workout, Not what I had thought I would do, but had to work later than expected. It was really good and efficient for when you don't have much time. I finished with one of my favorite stretches, 10 Minute Stretch Routine (no equipment) with Kit Rich. It felt REALLY good and I didn’t want it to end. Sounds like I'm needing more yoga/stretching workouts, which I haven't had as much time to do this past week.
Saturday - Amy Bento Ross ATeam Boot Camp. Again, not what I was planning on doing but perfect for today because I had multiple interruptions during it. This is a good workout, and nice for variety/change of pace, but probably wouldn't do it weekly because of long intervals (2 min). I think it would get tedious or boring since the intervals are longer.

Gotta run start dinner! Hugs and waves everyone!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-21, 09:19 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

bee! I forgot to mention the David Schwimmer story---FUNNY!!

manley, is that Kit Rich stretch on YouTube? I really, really need more stretching.

Nathalie, yes, I understand now what you meant about the audio thanks to the description provided by FOLV. It's kind of like they air brushed her voice in the DVD. It doesn't sound exactly weird to me, but it does sound different.

I actually did the workout I said earlier I was going to do---imagine that! CL #14 Stability Ball Total Body. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It's always interesting to see which class members were there---some were in different spots, and of course some weren't "regulars" while others were in the class from the earliest to the most recent.

Waves!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Old 08-29-21, 01:05 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Were we all impressed the way Linda was able to hone in on what Nathalie meant about the audio, and also how well she described it? I certainly was! And yes, I think I noticed it too, but I'm not super sensitive to stuff like that. I am a little oblivious at times, to be honest.

manleym, that's very cool about Cathe remembering everyone's names. During the two times I went to her "road shows" (is that what they're called?) -- one time at her gym and the trip to San Diego -- she was very kind to everyone but I think it was a bit overwhelming and she definitely wasn't remembering everyone's names (but it was so many people -- nobody would have). She is amazing.

This morning I did RWH Low Impact #2 -- I don't think I've done that one in a very long time and I liked it. Repetition, but just once for each side and she moved on pretty quickly for each move. I followed that with an ID Travis practice. They have what I think is a new series (?) called Mindful Movement. A week long thing of 20 minute practices except one day is 30 minutes. Different teachers -- not all Travis. The first one is the one I did this morning, named Chill. It was a great extended stretch. I think I'm going to use these to try to get back in a yoga groove.

Hope everyone is enjoying the rest of the weekend!!
Old 08-29-21, 01:08 PM  
manleym

Just checking in to make sure everyone is ok. I don't think we have anyone from Louisiana in our group, but I know Tennessee got hit hard and my guess is that Cataddict might get some bad weather. FOLV you ok?

Cataddict , yep - the stretch in on YT. Here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj2RGYpknzA&t=4s

Stay safe everyone!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-21, 02:23 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Thanks, manley! Fortunately we are well out of the main line of the storm. Those that hit the gulf don't impact us much. We will get some rain but not anything severe. I thought you might get some of the heavy rain in TX? The daughter of a close friend is doing her medical residency in NO and it's been a tense day for her.

bee, yes I'm even more impressed with FOLV than I already was that she described what Nathalie mentioned. She needs to sound some cowbell for herself!!

Waves!

Old 08-29-21, 05:38 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Happy Sunday, Watulans, and I hope you are all doing well regardless of crappy weather, crappy injuries, crappy illnesses, crappy people (hah), or whatever else is challenging you right now!!

Let's see, workouts first. Thursday was Hair Max. Friday was Flex Train which I hadn't done in so long it felt new. Easing back into weights, this one is perfect, gets the job done, is fun, and zero dread factor! Saturday was Eye Max (hah hah hah) which I was overdue for, and today I pulled out Tracey Mallett's Booty Barre Ballet, which I shall refer to as Brutal Barre Ballet from now on, and did the entire 90 minutes. My legs are still shaking like a chihuahua! I'm enjoying revisiting some barre workouts right now.

FN2, congrats on the husband's retirement! Your plans sound excellent, do keep us posted on how that goes! My husband actually (gasp!) mentioned returning to the gym himself today. We'll see!

Linda, I'm glad to hear you're on the mend. That was a LOT to put that calf through, indeed! And yes, I'm wondering if you've worked in some video production field because yah just seem to know stuff!!

BabyW, hope your back and hip are feeling better!! Also hope the hectic has calmed down?

Bee, I laughed so hard at the David Schwimmer comment! Don't take it seriously. Also glad to hear you got the kiddo settled in, as I know you've been stressing about that for a while.

Nathalie, yay on the foot and starting to get back into a groove! You chose some good ones to work around your injury while it heals and yes, unfortunately, it just takes that pesky time!

Manleym, I totally have that Jessica lower body workout plus the accompanying upper body workout she did on tap for Tuesday to make a full hour-long total body workout. I'm also keeping your modifications in mind and will be prepared, trying to avoid any more hip tweaking, so thank you!!

Kim, glad to hear about the massage! I never got that either, just that painful ultrasound and the TENS unit. Hmph. Hope you're feeling better and better.

Waves and hugs to KateTT, ChelePA, Horusosiris, and anyone I might have missed! Stay fierce, Watulans!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-21, 09:13 AM  
horusosiris

Happy Monday to All.

For the past week and this week, I have been having a ball creating new workouts and doing some of my old Cathe blender workouts.

Cataddict- I agree that a stretch band workout would have been so nice. Congrats on your husband’s retirement

FN1 and Cataddict – I love using my heavy bag as a stress buster.

Bee- I took us quite a while to adjust to the “empty nest.” I am hoping that Cathe will do some Cathe Live workouts with the bands.

Manelym- I have not done Amy’s A Team Boot Camp in probably over five years.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watulan check-in