Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-21, 08:39 AM  
Erica H.

Unplanned rest days (kind of rambling)

Do you ever just take a rest day because you don't feel like exercising?

I've been a consistent (almost compulsive) exerciser for a very long time. I take off for illness, if we're traveling and I can't exercise, for family things that come up, etc., but otherwise I always do something - even if it's working around an injury or walking while recovering from surgery.

I woke up today at my regular time to start my workout and just said, "Nope. Not today" and went back to bed. I've never done this before.

I've been having weird health issues for a while and haven't had any luck with doctors resolving them. I've been struggling to get through my workouts lately and have been wondering if it's psychological (knowing my bloodwork is all off and using that as an excuse) or if it's truly physical. Same with this morning - I'm fine with taking the day off if my body needs it for physical reasons, but I can't keep doing that if this is all in my head and I'm using the possibility of something being wrong as an excuse. It's not good for me physically or mentally to not exercise. Right now I don't even feel like doing an easy walking workout or exerting any energy at all. During the night, I woke up feeling really dizzy and thought I was going to pass out when I got up to use the bathroom so I was kind of nervous about doing much this morning anyway but expected to at least do a light workout.

I'm having repeat lab work done in two weeks, so I should know then if this is all in my head or if there really is a physical reason for it.

Unfortunately, my appetite has not decreased at all. Darn it. It would be nice if that decreased with my energy levels.

Hope this all made sense.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 09:31 AM  
laurawd

I don't have any specific advice, but to remind you of what you already know: whatever you're experiencing right now is as much a physical reason for a break as a limb injury. If you are feeling so off that you are getting dizzy and have no energy, then your PHYSICAL body is telling you something. Good for you for listening to it!

I hope you will be well!
laurawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 09:37 AM  
TinaT

Erica ~I'm sorry you're stuggling. I've been there. I know what was causing mine. Having Covid in Oct knocked me on my butt, even after I was "over it". The fatigue lasted for weeks and at times I have days that my body just won't move.

It's ok to rest. Our bodies need it. Listen well, and respond kindly.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 09:43 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
Erica ~I'm sorry you're stuggling. I've been there. I know what was causing mine. Having Covid in Oct knocked me on my butt, even after I was "over it". The fatigue lasted for weeks and at times I have days that my body just won't move.

It's ok to rest. Our bodies need it. Listen well, and respond kindly.
Thank you. I'm so sorry about the Covid!

Erica
Old 01-27-21, 10:47 AM  
muggle

I'm sorry about your health issues and I hope you get an answer soon. I have absolutely been there...and still kind of am. My heart is in it, my mind is in it and body says "NOT TODAY"! I've worked out for decades, mostly 6-7 times per week. Once I hit 50 my body was telling me stuff. I've learned to listen.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 11:08 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
Once I hit 50 my body was telling me stuff. I've learned to listen.
For me it was 45. I had sudden bizarre health issues, bloodwork was off (anemia, low minerals, low vitamin D, etc.), fatigue from my normal workout schedule of 5-6 days a week, digestive problems (gallbladder removed, IBS for awhile), injuries adding up, no motivation, sleep issues (waking up btwn 3-5 AM, often with heart palpitations and drenched in sweat, bizarre dreams), and I was dizzy at different times during the day and night. I kept trying to keep up my old workout schedule but at some point my body just gave out.

I guess I was an age denier, and had no clue what the heck was happening to me. And that made my anxiety about my sudden down turn even worse. A lot of health stuff all at once. Prior to turning 45, I had been in the best shape of my life and was incredibly happy with most things.

Now at 47, and over two years of cycling through recovering and then having more health crap, I've realized that most of my stuff has been perimenopause related. And if I had listened to my body and eaten correctly for my aging body and treated my body to the right workouts with more rest days, I may have saved myself from two years of hell. But I'm only now just realizing that I need to listen to my body. I'm still in the thick of perimenopause though, still regular cycles, still gaining weight.

Anyhoo, I completely understand where you're at with everything!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 11:06 AM  
cailleach

Yes, once a while I find myself not going to the gym (garage) to exercise when I did think of going.

I notice my body is taking longer to recover after lifting heavy or very intense workout. I attribute it to age. No longer use step risers to save my knees.
This month I've assigned myself moderation, doing YT Pahla Walk Off the Weight series but am looking forward to getting back to HIIT and heavier weights. I enjoy the challenges and modify when I need to.

My reasoning (or excuse I should say) is not due to health but due to stress. My mother has dementia and moved to live with my parents about a year ago. Realized this month my father's cognitive decline is worse than I thought.

It's hard when can't go for a day trips to take a break due to the pandemic. I end up taking unplanned rest days.
cailleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 11:11 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
I'm sorry about your health issues and I hope you get an answer soon. I have absolutely been there...and still kind of am. My heart is in it, my mind is in it and body says "NOT TODAY"! I've worked out for decades, mostly 6-7 times per week. Once I hit 50 my body was telling me stuff. I've learned to listen.
Thanks. I'm 53 and wondering if age has anything to do with it - not the health issues, but the fatigue and resistance to exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I do. Some days I just need to. I feel guilty (how dumb is that) but then the day after I've let myself have a rest, I feel a lot better.

Give yourself a break.
Thanks. The guilt is really bothering me. I've never done this before and am afraid it will become a habit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailleach View Post
Y

My reasoning (or excuse I should say) is not due to health but due to stress. My mother has dementia and moved to live with my parents about a year ago. Realized this month my father's cognitive decline is worse than I thought.

I'm so sorry about the stress with your parents. That is really hard. We have had a lot of stress with my in-laws in the past year - my FIL passed away last summer after being ill for about six months and now my MIL needs our help all the time. It must be so hard to not be able to get a break.

Erica
Old 01-27-21, 09:39 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurawd View Post
I don't have any specific advice, but to remind you of what you already know: whatever you're experiencing right now is as much a physical reason for a break as a limb injury. If you are feeling so off that you are getting dizzy and have no energy, then your PHYSICAL body is telling you something. Good for you for listening to it!

I hope you will be well!
Thank you. I've never done this before and it's making me really anxious because I don't know if it's in my head or not. If I knew for sure there was a physical reason (like a broken bone), I'd be fine with it but it feels so off to me to just say I'm not going to exercise when I have the time and opportunity to do so.

Erica
Old 01-27-21, 10:52 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I do. Some days I just need to. I feel guilty (how dumb is that) but then the day after I've let myself have a rest, I feel a lot better.

Give yourself a break.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rest days