Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-13-19, 12:19 PM  
sherry7899

Cathe LITE Metabolic workout question

I may finally try this one tomorrow. I have shoulder issues, so I'm a little nervous about this one. I may start with just 3 lb and 5 lb weights. I was wondering if there is any time at all to pause to change weights? I've never done a metabolic workout before.

Any tips/thoughts on this one would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-19, 07:11 PM  
LizEMA

Sherry, I haven't done this WO, but I thought I'd chime in, anyway.

This WO, just from watching the clips, looks, to ME, pretty shoulder intensive, which is something others whom actually HAVE done this WO have confirmed.

If you have preexisting shoulder problems, I would err on the side of caution, and go even lighter than the 3s and 5s. Well, I would stick with the 3s but use them mostly as your heavier option. Do you have any 1s or 2s? (Have you been getting in any strength WOs recently? I know you mentioned a little while back that you were going to try and make an effort to get in more strength work. Whether or not you have may further dictate what weights you use.)

2lazy4gym's review is here. (She gives an entire breakdown of the WO, listing each move that Cathe performs and the weight she uses.)

Here is another good review of the WO.

Also, Cathe generally moves pretty quickly in her metabolic WOs, and I have read reviews of the other WOs in this series that note Cathe is often cuing ON the move, rather than ahead of it. I can't remember if that was a note of THIS particular WO, though.

What would probably be most beneficial to you is if you actually just previewed the WO yourself, skipping through to each chapter to get an idea of Cathe's pacing and timing to judge for yourself if there is ample time between moves to change weights. (I used to never bother with previewing a WO, but, if it's a strength WO and there is no existing breakdown [ie: rep count, sets], I always take the time to do so now and write up my own WO sheet before I do it the first time. It's unbelievably helpful.)

If you wouldn't mind, come back after you do the WO and let me know what weights you used, how they worked out for you and your thoughts and feelings on the WO, overall. I know it's vastly different than your usual WOs, so go in to it with an open mind and give it a chance.
Old 02-13-19, 08:44 PM  
Mickey12

I agree with Liz. I would go lighter if you have the weights. Cathe moves pretty quickly in this and there is a lot of shoulder work. Previewing is an excellent suggestion.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-19, 09:34 PM  
ncl

I think all Cathe's metabolic workouts with weights are very shoulder intensive and this one is no exception. I am laying off of those right now as I have a mild shoulder bursitis on the left.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-19, 10:09 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I haven't done this workout yet so have no advice for you Sherry. But if in doubt maybe just stick to 3lbs, at least until you know the routine.

On another note I regret letting my FOMO take over and buying this set. My body has so many aches lately that even the workouts I've been using just to get me ready for it have been hurting me. I just don't see me doing these for the foreseeable future.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-19, 08:30 AM  
sherry7899

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer! I really appreciate it. I have decided to wait and preview the workout first before doing it. I may need to do other strength work for a few weeks before working up to this one!

Gina, I am so very sorry you are in pain-hugs .

Sherry

Old 02-14-19, 10:15 AM  
MsThistlebottom

No advice either, since I've yet to try the set, but I agree with the advice to use light weights (and preview).

And I have to agree with Gina: I'm having a "What in the world was I thinking?" moment with regard to this set.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-19, 02:43 PM  
MathTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post

And I have to agree with Gina: I'm having a "What in the world was I thinking?" moment with regard to this set.
I am also in the "What in the world was I thinking?" boat. I keep going back and forth on whether to sell it or keep it.
Old 02-14-19, 02:55 PM  
sherry7899

I have tried and liked both cardio workouts, PHA 2 and Stacked Upper Body, so I am pleased with the set and will use it. I doubt I will ever use the band workout (I really dislike bands) . I will work my way up to the Metabolic workout and try the Stacked Lower Body soon.

Old 02-14-19, 04:55 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I have tried and liked both cardio workouts, PHA 2 and Stacked Upper Body, so I am pleased with the set and will use. I doubt I will ever use the band workout (I really dislike bands) . I will work my way up to the Metabolic workout and try the Stacked Lower Body soon.
Okay, that encourages me. For now I plan to hang onto these and see if can build up my stamina over time.

My aches are lower back and joint related. But there are other factors making me very tired right now. I hope to get back to consistency and, over time, returned strength.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe lite, cathe lite reviews