Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-17, 01:33 PM  
Cammie-Cam

How Can I Fix The High Step Topper?

Does anyone know a good way to fix the high step topper? The rubber part on top is puckered in a line right in the middle and it's really annoying. I don't want to buy a new one because I don't use it every day, but I do want to fix this one so I can use it when I want to. Does anyone know how to fix it?
Cammie-Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-17, 01:35 PM  
bubbles76

Same thing going on with my step. I have no idea how to fix it.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-17, 01:36 PM  
cherimac

Same here. I got rid of mine and went back to the Fanny Lifter from the Firm. The sides also had the glue begin to give and they were curling up.
Old 07-14-17, 02:20 PM  
Cammie-Cam

Ugh. So frustrating! I sold my fanny lifter long ago, but I pulled out the high step topper today to do Cardio Step Mix and was wishing I had kept it. LOL!

I could have sworn I saw someone here a few years back discuss how they fixed it with some kind of glue, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.
Old 07-15-17, 10:54 AM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

replacing the ribbed rubber grip strips on topper

I've replaced the ribbed rubber strips on my topper using what I learned making my own step toppers a hundred years ago...

I used a pair of pliers to grip the old strips and pull them off. They are really stuck on there good! Getting the residual epoxy or glue off took time - I used adhesive side of the old strips to stick & pull off the residue, scraped with a knife, etc.

Then I got this ribbed flooring runner material from Home Depot (in their carpet stair runner dept, near flooring - sold by the foot). Cut out matching strips using the old pieces as a guide.

I used epoxy to glue the new strips on. At first I used spray-on adhesive, but when the strips began peeling up at the ends, I used epoxy to re-glue them.

Good luck! In this era of disposable everything, it's nice to see you trying to repair something.
Old 07-15-17, 11:48 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnP View Post
I've replaced the ribbed rubber strips on my topper using what I learned making my own step toppers a hundred years ago...
thanks for sharing this tip.

i was at work when i initially read this thread, and i made a note to myself to look at mine when i got home. i had a hard time imagining what Cammie was trying to describe!

just checked it now that i am home, and that rubber non-skid mat on the top is just glued to the surface and is somewhat "thin". i can see why it would annoy someone!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-17, 02:10 PM  
Jeanne Marie

My high step topper was homemade from cutting up a long step and putting the ends together. Does that prove how old I am? LOL!

In fact, I didn't do it myself. I bought it from someone here. I have no memory of who it was, but I can tell you this... it's still in perfect shape all these years later!
Old 07-15-17, 08:46 PM  
Cammie-Cam

Thanks for the suggestions ladies! I was actually coming here to let you know that I got some rubber glue from Lowe's, peeled off the top of the high step topper and used the glue to reseal it and get that bubble out. I put a bunch of old magazines on it for like half an hour, to make sure it was really pressed against the high step while it dried. I'm gonna use it tomorrow so we'll see how it goes, but I think it worked for anyone who is considering trying to fix theirs.

DawnP, your top was individual strips? Mine is just one big piece of plastic, similar to that floor runner you posted. Now I know why everyone was having such a hard time fixing theirs! LOL! I just had to pull up the plastic, re-glue it and lay it back down.

I was so excited that I fix it I was ready to pull out my Firm Fat Blaster and couldn't find it. I think I sold it and I can't believe I did that because it used to be one of my favorite workouts. What was I thinking!!!???
Old 07-16-17, 06:51 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Lol, don't you hate it when you go in search of an old workout, only to find that you sold/traded it. I have done that before too. I have a high step topper, and two Fanny Lifters, and I am keeping them all!
Dawn, thanks for the tips on fixing the rubber on top. I will store that information away in case mine develops a problem someday. You never know..
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-17, 08:16 AM  
Garrie A.

I was hoping someone would bring this up! I bought a club step with risers at a yard sale for $10 last month and was having this issue with the rubber top. Thanks for the suggestions!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, fixing high step, fixing rubber on step, high step, high step topper