Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-16, 10:16 AM  
holliholli915

Totally going to buy Scorcher 2.0! Thank you, JENILU! Wish it came as a download. But, oh well....
holliholli915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 11:48 AM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Flamingoo, what DVDs do you plan to start with? I think KBKB Scorcher series they are using 12 lb kettlebells. I switch between a 10 and a 15 lb dumbbell depending on the exercise.

It will really depend on what sort of kettlebell DVD you're doing, though. I think with Lauren Brooks, you'd usually use much heavier. Just going by what I've read.

Thank you! I'm going to be using Scorcher series, but never have used a kettlebell. So I should purchase 10 and 12? Do they use different sizes for different exercises? I don't have the dvds yet, but will be getting them next week.
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 12:12 PM  
GinaXOXO

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoo View Post
Thank you! I'm going to be using Scorcher series, but never have used a kettlebell. So I should purchase 10 and 12? Do they use different sizes for different exercises? I don't have the dvds yet, but will be getting them next week.
Flamingoo: I don't have the KBKB workout yet but KBKBK body is on it's way. My impression is that a few people are using regular weights. If you have free hand weights maybe you could use them for a few workouts to see if you should get a 10 lb kettlebell or get a heavier one.

I read a review by someone who started with a 7# KB. They aren't cheap so that I why I am suggesting using a hand weight to gage what weight is right for you.
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 01:29 PM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaXOXO View Post
Flamingoo: I don't have the KBKB workout yet but KBKBK body is on it's way. My impression is that a few people are using regular weights. If you have free hand weights maybe you could use them for a few workouts to see if you should get a 10 lb kettlebell or get a heavier one.

I read a review by someone who started with a 7# KB. They aren't cheap so that I why I am suggesting using a hand weight to gage what weight is right for you.
You're right they aren't! Especially after I went and bought my freshman a baseball bat and shoes. Yikes! That's a great idea. Thank you!
Old 03-19-16, 02:21 PM  
holliholli915

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoo View Post
I have Scorcher and am using it and LOVE it! It certainly won't hurt to have multiple weights to start with. But, Dasha uses the same size throughout the entire workout.

I started with a 14# for Power and Longevity and used 11# for Diversity. Now, I use the 14# for all of them. The best thing you can do is find a weight that's going to allow you to use and maintain proper form. If you can't swing properly or clean/press without tweaking something, you need to go down in weight until you can go up again. Form is everything with kb's. I've read about some nasty injuries due to misuse and improper form.

The first week I used KBKB, I even had an 8# and 10# db next to me in case I needed it. I only used the 10# db for clean/press and more toward the end of the minute when I started to notice my form slipping.

I should mention that I purchased an adjustable kb so I wouldn't need to have all of those kbs hidden around the house.
holliholli915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 02:52 PM  
bubbles76

I used a 12 pound weight for Scorcher all this week and lemme tell ya, I'm plenty sore! I think I could have used a 15 and maybe a 20 for some moves (I'm thinking double arm swings and the cleans), but since I was just starting out with these I didn't want to overdo it. I think I'm strong enough and you can go at your own pace, but good grief the soreness haha! Glad I just used a 12 pound weight.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 03:36 PM  
angie_nrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
just an FYI. 2.0 is the deal of the day at Mary's today (sorry I didn't know til late)
https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/dealoftheday.asp

(since its around midnight for me, i'm not sure if this is the new deal or the old one, lol)
It's still good.

I just got Scorcher series today since I forgot to get my mail yesterday. Now this deal comes up before I even take a disk out of the package.
For $20, I guess I have to take the plunge on this too....Um, thanks?
Just kidding.....really, thanks!
Old 03-21-16, 12:41 PM  
acey

I was inspired to actually try one of my many unopened KB DVDs after reading this thread. (VF continues its positive enabling for me, over 10 years later!)

I decided to start easy and I tried the first two workouts on the 10-Minute Solution Ultimate Fatburner with Michelle Olson. She doesn't even use an actual kettlebell.

"Start easy"? Two days later, I still have DOMS in my legs - more than I've had in a very long time. I'm both eager and scared to try more hardcore KB workouts. I know I would have to really concentrate on some instructional routines first. I can't imagine doing that "halo" move with an actual KB. I might give myself a concussion.
Old 03-21-16, 12:44 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey View Post
I was inspired to actually try one of my many unopened KB DVDs after reading this thread. (VF continues its positive enabling for me, over 10 years later!)

I decided to start easy and I tried the first two workouts on the 10-Minute Solution Ultimate Fatburner with Michelle Olson. She doesn't even use an actual kettlebell.

"Start easy"? Two days later, I still have DOMS in my legs - more than I've had in a very long time. I'm both eager and scared to try more hardcore KB workouts. I know I would have to really concentrate on some instructional routines first. I can't imagine doing that "halo" move with an actual KB. I might give myself a concussion.
Be careful. I tweaked my neck really badly with that DVD years ago, and still don't know what did it. i have never gotten a neck twinge if I used an actaul (light) KB and used a KB DVD. She is like a safety queen, so maybe it was just lack of beginner instruction? Just be careful.

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-16, 03:05 PM  
flamingoo

Thank you all for the weight recommendations! I couldn't find one over the weekend so I may start with an 8 this week and look next week!

Tags
good kettlebell form, kbkb, kettlebell, kettlebell kickboxing, yin yoga